Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I have the opportunity to buy a running 2003 wrx wagon next month for around $1250 USD. I was planning on rebuilding both the engine and the tranny. Keep in mind they both still work but before I drop both of them into my car I want to make sure I have a reliable source for 250whp. I have time to do this because my car is still running fine. My school is letting me bring the engine and help me learn the ins and outs of rebuilding an engine as I have never done it before. As for the tranny I want to take it into a shop and put a 5 speed sti gearset into it with the same gear ratio so that I can slam shift and not have to worry about messing anything up. I was also planning on re doing all the bushings on my car and also swapping the wrx axles and dif.

I would like to know if any of you guys could recommend a good 2003 wrx usdm ej205 rebuild kit. Also if something does not line up in what I said I would to hear your guys's opinions as I am new to cars and Subaru in general. I will also document the swap and post how it went after I am finished!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
By the way the reason im getting it that low is because it has a pending VI. Which he is unable to pass because of structural rust

·
Administrator
2000 RSTi
1,506 Posts
I don't think there is a rebuild kit that you can buy for Subaru transmissions. Also, if you do source a JDM 5-speed STI transmission, it will have slight or large differences in the forks, brass rings, syncros to name a few (this changes by revision of the trans as well). So if you were ordering the parts ala carte (individually) for a north-American delivered transmission, they may or may not be compatible with the JDM transmission.

If I were you, and my goal was to get an education, I'd buy a blown up North American-delivered turbo trans and practice rebuilding that.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Does your school have experience with rebuilding Subaru turbo EJ engines?

I have zero experience on this front, but from what I've watched and read about, I understand that you want someone with experience and a track record to work on your EJ engines, especially if you're talking about getting down to replacing bearings.

I went the simpler route and purchased a brand new OEM short block from Subaru.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts