Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
2003 2.5RS NA Impreza Unknown Exhaust, New mudflaps, OZ P1 Rims, Blue paint,
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would I need to swap an EZ30R into a 2003 2.5RS? From what ive heard i could also get a 6 speed from a STI. I don't know what else i would need though. Has anyone swapped an EZ30R into a bugeye? Please help!

· Registered
98RS, 98RS, 99RS
868 Posts
There is a TON of informaton on this if you search around on the forum. People have been doing this swap for almost twenty years on here. I believe our neighborhood moderator Mike Tracy did this swap, its much easier than the eg33 and also easier to find parts for.

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is a TON of informaton on this if you search around on the forum. People have been doing this swap for almost twenty years on here. I believe our neighborhood moderator Mike Tracy did this swap, its much easier than the eg33 and also easier to find parts for.
Thank you!

· Administrator
2000 RSTi
2,167 Posts
I don't know of anyone here who did that swap in a bugeye, but there was one on YouTube.

You'll need the full dash wiring harness & ECU, alternator, power steering pump radiator, ac condenser & lines (might need to have a custom line made) from the H6 donor car.

Next you need to download the wiring section of the service manual for both the H6 and bugeye.

You'll need to compare both wiring pinouts and make an excel document with what pins you need to merge. I kept my car's manual climate control as I didn't want any additional hassle in wiring.

After meticulously labeling and double checking the wiring, you'll solder or crimp the wires together, install everything and hope you don't have too much troubleshooting.

Motor vehicle Automotive design Gas Houseplant Engineering

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't know of anyone here who did that swap in a bugeye, but there was one on YouTube.

You'll need the full dash wiring harness & ECU, alternator, power steering pump radiator, ac condenser & lines (might need to have a custom line made) from the H6 donor car.

Next you need to download the wiring section of the service manual for both the H6 and bugeye.

You'll need to compare both wiring pinouts and make an excel document with what pins you need to merge. I kept my car's manual climate control as I didn't want any additional hassle in wiring.

After meticulously labeling and double checking the wiring, you'll solder or crimp the wires together, install everything and hope you don't have too much troubleshooting.

View attachment 91640
Thanks! I'm very new to this so do you know how i can get more info on how things like swaps work or what i should know?

· Administrator
2000 RSTi
2,167 Posts
Actually, my post was about the ez30d, not the ez30r you're talking about. The EZ30R requires a standalone aftermarket ECU and a tune.

As far as where you can go to look for more info, Nasioc has a hundred page thread on swapping the "R" motor.

I'll be honest, I tried to do my swap inexpensively, and that's why I chose the ez30D motor with it's simple electronics. The R is much more advanced but the $$$ standalone and tens of hours of Dyno tuning just to make it run turned me off to it.

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Actually, my post was about the ez30d, not the ez30r you're talking about. The EZ30R requires a standalone aftermarket ECU and a tune.

As far as where you can go to look for more info, Nasioc has a hundred page thread on swapping the "R" motor.

I'll be honest, I tried to do my swap inexpensively, and that's why I chose the ez30D motor with it's simple electronics. The R is much more advanced but the $$$ standalone and tens of hours of Dyno tuning just to make it run turned me off to it.
In that case, what do you think the best/easiest engine swap when it comes to money and hp would be?

· Registered
98RS, 98RS, 99RS
868 Posts
In this subforum (swaps/conversions) there are literally over a dozen stickied threads at the top that will answer pretty much every question you will ever have. There is even one that says WHAT SWAP IS RIGHT FOR YOU

1 - 12 of 12 Posts