Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looked at a '03 2.5RS today, and fell in love. However, the $5000 price tag smells a bit high to me. What do you guys think?

General Info:
2003 2.5RS Subaru Impreza
204,000mi
Silver

The Good:
NEW
  • Brakes and rotors (or so he says... sure didn't look like it)
  • Brake caliper (one)
  • Brake line
  • Water pump, timing belt kit and thermostat
  • Control arms
  • Motor mounts
  • Transmission mount
  • Tune up
  • Heavy duty CV axles
  • Oil pan gasket and P.U. tube
  • Alternator
  • Belt
  • Pulleys
  • Seals and gaskets
  • Rack and pinion
  • Heads just redone and ported for more horsepower
  • 3 inch stainless steel exhaust

The Bad:
  • Front Driver's side brake was smelly and hot after a moderate test drive (caliper sticking???)
  • cracked windshield
  • needs ball joints (in the near future)
  • needs new tires
  • small rust spots on fenders
  • bad speakers
  • drivers side door handle is loose, lock missing
  • trunk doesnt pop, must open with key
  • quarter panel dented

I estimate it'll reqire about $1000 worth of work. Considering this, KBB value, similar vehicle sale prices, etc etc etc, I'm inclined to say that $3000-$3500 is a fair sale price.

Let me know what you think, and how I can convince the seller to come down on price. Have not yet made an offer.

·
2.5RSMatt
205 Posts
From the description it sounds a little beat for 5K and the "Heads just redone and ported for more horsepower" would make me walk away altogether. Additionally, and it may be just me, but when doing anything on the axle like brakes, shocks, etc. I do the entire axle not a single side. Got photos or a link?

If you really want it then offer up $3000 and see if the seller is willing to come down. If not walk and continue looking for a better example.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

As you can see, I copy/pasted the "NEW PARTS" list from his post... not all of the items on his list checked out. Especially the brakes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After reading from multiple sources that the heads are the weakest point of any ej251, I decided that this rebuild was the biggest pro about the car... It was done by a professional shop -- I called and talked to the mechanic who did the work, owner provided the work receipts, etc. It checks out. Should I still be cautious?

·
Registered
2000 Impreza RS
174 Posts
I'd pass at 5k. How does the subframe, etc. look? In the picture, it is parked on grass/dirt/sort-of-gravel, which isn't going to help the rust any if it was parked there often. The small rust on the quarter instantly makes it not worth even upper-end blue book, to me. And, (again in my opinion), recent basic/serious maintenance and "mods" do not add a whole ton of value in my book. My guess is you could get a WRX for around the same price.

I probably wouldn't even be interested at 3k. Maybe 2k? Blue Book maxes at $3500 in my area. It's been on Marketplace for 7 weeks for a reason. Tires will probably cost you $600 at least out the door; Windshield, when mine was last replaced, was like $250 out the door. Fix rust and repaint? My Fiesta which was hit in the quarter by some moron was quoted $1,000. I think you can get a clean one for cheaper.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, sounds like this one is a pass. It did, however, serve to start a wrx-shaped flame down in my heart... How does this one look? As promised -- much cleaner for a much cheaper list price.

At this point, I'm not even sure why I was considering the 2.5... There are so many cleaner WRX's out on the market :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well, sounds like this one is a pass. It did, however, serve to start a wrx-shaped flame down in my heart... How does this one look? As promised -- much cleaner for a much cheaper list price.

At this point, I'm not even sure why I was considering the 2.5... There are so many cleaner WRX's out on the market :)
Agree, a lot of clean wrx's out there for that price or less, once that love for them gets into your heart for them its never leaving, keep looking and you'll find the one! Take a good look at anything with mods that it hasn't been beat on too much and has been properly maintained!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts