Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I'm confused and have looked on all forums I could find regarding this issue,,

I've got a 2002 wrx with a healthy ej205(avcs) in it and want to swap it into my 1996 gf8 that came factory with the ej20g(obd1)

Was wondering which will be the best way to sort the wiring out, or what issues there would be swapping the body loom to accommodate the obd2 and ej205 wiring??
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Window

·
Registered
98RS, 98RS, 99RS
708 Posts
I would personally try to source another ej20g because they are stupid cheap to buy and you can find them everywhere. If I absolutely had to swap over a 205 Id personally just go with the entire body wiring harness and wire all of the accessories. There's a fair bit of wiring involved upgrading to a newer avcs engine that effectively is the same as if you were swapping a turbo engine into a non turbo car, or any other type of swap. It's possible someone on here has done this swap and can give specific info.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would personally try to source another ej20g because they are stupid cheap to buy and you can find them everywhere. If I absolutely had to swap over a 205 Id personally just go with the entire body wiring harness and wire all of the accessories. There's a fair bit of wiring involved upgrading to a newer avcs engine that effectively is the same as if you were swapping a turbo engine into a non turbo car, or any other type of swap. It's possible someone on here has done this swap and can give specific info.
I want to move away from the ej20g phase 1 motors just as the parts are hard to source here in New Zealand or else I would but I've got a complete 02 wrx running driving just not allowed on the road as chassis is twisted so wanting to use running gear in the gf8 I'm building for my son

·
Registered
2000 2.5rs coupe, 02 wrx engine & 05 dash swap
1,065 Posts
You're gonna have to do the same amount of wiring as any other swap in that case since they run different ecu's. I would suggest reading up on Brydon's thread: Brydon Teaches YOU to Merge a Harness. Its not going to be a hand holding guide to your build but it will give you and idea of what's required. Basically you are going to have to cut open both bulkhead harnesses and pull out every wire that runs from your engine equipment to your ecu, and then misc wires running to ecu like to your gauges and "implant" the new ones. If you want to stay away from wiring you might be able to get Iwire here in the states to build you merge your harness for you(These are the guys everyone who doesnt/cant do the wiring in the states go to), or you could simply do a shortblock swap and tuning for what you already got

1 - 5 of 5 Posts