Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Can this be done. I was told it would fit and that I would need a longer TB to IC coupler and thats it. I was wondering if the y-pipe under the intercooler will work? Reason being is I bought a HKS SSQV BOV and it doesn't fit the older version TMIC but if a USDM TMIC was installed I can just order a HKS fitting to make th BOV work.

·
Low&Slow
1965 VW Bug,2001 drz400 sumo
2,942 Posts
dont run a blow off valve, 75% of subies with them run like crap. other then that it should work as long as the turbo outlet is at 90degrees and not 45.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I made sure I got the re-circ piece so if it runs bad or rich I can fix that. I am not sure if it is a 90 or not. Anyone know if the version 1 JDM WRX's have a 90 or not off the turbo? I don't have the car yet. It is purchased but I am waiting till the middle of October to pick it up as its still on a boat from Japan lol. Thanks for your help. I am a fish out of water these days as I was a VW guy most of my life.

·
Registered
2011 A4
1,863 Posts
im running the HKS ssqv with my ****** ej20g intercooler..you just need to order the right HKS adapter flange that T's into the piping

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Any place that can order a HKS part should be able to order you a re-circ adaptor. Its a pretty simple piece. I found a USDM WRX intercooler for $50 so going to it just makes sence as its much larger than mine and will fix my issue with the BOV.

inoneday

Have you had any problems running this BOV to atmosphere? My buddy has the same car that I ordered and he has a massive boost leak right now and the car drives fine even when trying to hit boost it will try to build like 3psi and you can hear it leaking and there is still no studdering or stalling. I wonder if the older OBD1 cars don't have an issue running to Atmosphere.

·
Registered
GF OBS-T, GM RS EJ20, SF EJ20
4,973 Posts
I saw a BIG GD STi TMIC conversion for EJ20Ks in one of my Impreza books, only problem is that text is in Japanese.

Pics show an TXS style adapter from the BPV, splitter, old TMIC, & New BIG TMIC dropping on with an OEM look.

·
Registered
2015 WRX+TE37ta
4,819 Posts
Well the only problem with running an updated tmic is that the IAC unit gets in the way where the BPV/BOV is placed on the IC. If you can get it to fit, do it! The updated tmic is MUCH better and nicer!
I'd actually recommend using that TXS adapter and attaching a bov/bpv via a silicone hose(like by making it hang like a dong)

The Scooby said:
dont run a blow off valve, 75% of subies with them run like crap.
Orly?! This is news to me.
Do you even own a turbo motor? Sounds like you're playing into the hearsay. I don't want to get into the bov discussion because there are a billion threads about this. But essentially the car already runs rich between shifts and the bov certainly affects the car but not enough that it will be a big problem. Run a bov if you want, if your car doesn't like it, toss a recirc on there it's that easy. Huge chance is that you'll be fine.

·
Wiring Guru
01 RS, 97 Ducati
357 Posts
You can cut the piece off the old IC where the BPV attaches and have it welded onto a newer intercooler. I have one sitting in my garage that is like this that I would be willing to part with complete with fancy silicone hoses.

·
Registered
'99 OBS V7 STi Swap
850 Posts
It can be done but it's in no way shape or form a drop in replacement. In order to make the new age intercooler to fit you need to cut/weld shut where the recirc/bov goes and then cut down your throttle body about 1/4 inch as well as on the intercooler. Then get a nipple or as Zephyr suggested the section from the original intercooler welded onto the new intercooler.

Definitely worth the upgrade though. Here is mine.

·
Registered
2015 WRX+TE37ta
4,819 Posts
It can be done but it's in no way shape or form a drop in replacement. In order to make the new age intercooler to fit you need to cut/weld shut where the recirc/bov goes and then cut down your throttle body about 1/4 inch as well as on the intercooler. Then get a nipple or as Zephyr suggested the section from the original intercooler welded onto the new intercooler.

Definitely worth the upgrade though. Here is mine.
Ohh that definitely works!

·
Registered
GF8
938 Posts
hail2theTheif,
Does the GD radiator also make a difference? If so when? Were you overheating before you changed over?

Sorry to threadjack, but I'm very curious?

-Kurt

·
Registered
'99 OBS V7 STi Swap
850 Posts
kurt - Hadn't noticed a difference with the GD radiator. I was originally running the JDM STi radiator that came with my clip until it cracked. Never overheated or anything. Would have liked to replace it with a similar one but at the time couldn't find an affordable one so I went with the GD style. Had to hack the metal JDM fans a bit to get them to fit. But it works good enough.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the info. So there is really no way to make the HKS flange fit on the USDM intercooler when it is being installed and a JDM WRX? HKS only sells mild steel flanges now so I can't weld it to the intercooler either. Damn well that sucks. There must be another way.

·
Registered
'99 OBS V7 STi Swap
850 Posts
if you really really are set on using the HKS BOV you could possibly weld a plate section onto the HKS unit that has an opening that goes into a nipple that the stock hose can attach to. turning it into a "floating" unit instead of it being attached to the intercooler.

i don't know if that would actually work but in theory it should....

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I found a hks adaptor that has a 29mm barbed end so I can do what you just said lol. I hope it is still being produced if not I am going to sell it and move to something different.

·
Registered
2015 WRX+TE37ta
4,819 Posts
if you really really are set on using the HKS BOV you could possibly weld a plate section onto the HKS unit that has an opening that goes into a nipple that the stock hose can attach to. turning it into a "floating" unit instead of it being attached to the intercooler.

i don't know if that would actually work but in theory it should....
this is pretty much what I was inferring. Having it hang like a dong :lol:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So question. My USDM TMIC arrived today. When I was inspecting it I notice that it has 2 holes into the back side where my old Version 1 IC only has 1. I also noticed that when holding the USDM IC in place the hot pipe from the turbo to the Y pipe on the IC is not the same as my version 1? Is there something that I need to modify or am I just not seeing something?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts