Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the beginning of my 2002 Impreza project. Purchased the vehicle a few months ago covered in plasti-dip, cracked windshield, glove box was broken, radio is missing mounting brackets and the rear doors were stripped of power motors, radiator has a fuse tap to function, positive battery terminal may need to be replaced, previous owners had the battery held down by a coat hanger and old wire from a fence (already bought the battery tray and hardware). Engine was swapped from the original 2.5 liter to an EJ20 (non-turbocharged) I purchased thinking I would be able to save money on fuel and enjoy the small yet fun Impreza. Below are a few photos of the minor progress I have made so far.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

Land vehicle Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Land vehicle

Hood Light Blue Vehicle Automotive tire

Plasti dip removed

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

Wheel Car Tire Automotive parking light Land vehicle

Wheels are 17x8, not the factory bolt pattern previous owner(don't know which one) installed a wheel adapter and switched to a 5x4.5" (5x114.3). Car still needs to be repainted and fenders/mirrors need to be replaced.

Coil overs were installed by a previous owner, raised to a higher ride height based on rough roads at my location.
Light Automotive tire Engineering Space Tower

Currently focused on getting the A/C reinstalled and working. The summer heat is a bit unbearable in the southeast. Hopefully documenting the repairs and restoration of this problem child will help others with their builds.

That's all for now folks. Good luck!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, quick update on the project. Went to start the car this morning and the dash lights up and the radio turns on but engine doesn't turn over and heard a single click when trying to start.. Not a big deal, took the battery back to get tested and they said the voltage was there. Started checking fuses and couldn't find any issues. That all makes me think that the starter is bad. Went to check the electrical connection, removed the factory air box and found some oil on the back of the plastic. So now I have a few concerns. Oil on the plastic, possible bad starter and no working rear door locks or windows. All in all it's not the most difficult things that get you, it's the tedious time consuming ones. Maybe it's time to pull the motor and give it a once over.

(separate note, anyone ever use a K&N washable filter with an EJ engine? Is it worth it?)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a k&n filter and I don't think it matters that much. Im sure a new clean basic filter is just as good
I'm thinking about keeping the K&N just so I'm not buying the filters every so many years. Tired of seeing landfills getting bigger and wasted materials. I see no real power gain between any of the filters. Maybe I'm crazy.

On a side note, went to check on the car this morning and see if I missed anything on the positive cable to battery post. (not sure about the name, I call it the positive connection) Went to start the car and it just cuts out completely. Got the battery tested at O'reilly yesterday and the staff member said it had 12v. If I swap the Subie battery with my truck battery and the car starts, I'm never trusting O'rielly again.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update for starting problems.

Symptoms: full battery charge but dash lights and radio not staying on when attempting to start vehicle.

Check the following: battery terminal connections and verify battery voltage when vehicle is on. If everything is tightened and voltage checks out, examine terminal connections. My terminal connections were not clean.
(To remove terminal connections you will need a 10mm and 12mm wrench or sockets and socket wrench.)

If your terminal positive connection look like this, you can clean the corrosion off using a wire brush or baking soda cleaning solution. If you prefer, replacement is always an option.

Light Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Gas Automotive exterior

(Yellow wire in photo is from a fuse tap to a radiator, you should not have this on your positive connection)

Clean connection and reinstall components. After a thorough cleaning my vehicle started just fine. If you are constantly cleaning the terminal, I suggest replacing the part and inspecting the battery cable. Hope this helps others with trouble shooting starting problems.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got to do some more cleaning today and used the baking soda method for cleaning the terminal connection. If you haven't used this method before, I highly recommend it. I used about a teaspoon of baking soda and a cup of water for the first soak. The second soak involved about a 1/4 cup of baking soda and 1 cup of water. Prior to starting the cleaning make sure that you are in a well ventilated place, or outside. I used a pick and wire brush to help scrub off as much remaining corrosion as possible. Below are photos of the process, it took about half an hour for this entire venture.

Automotive tire Bumper Asphalt Automotive exterior Automotive lighting

Before top view

Chainsaw Automotive tire Asphalt Wood Road surface

Before different angle

Road surface Plant Grass Asphalt Landscape

First soak for about 20 minutes

Water Liquid Fluid Grass Drinkware

second soak for about 10 minutes

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Grey Automotive design

after first view

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wood Gas Bumper

after second view

For less than a dollar and a half hour of your time I think this method is worth the investment first rather than replacing the connection immediately. Hope this helps others save some money.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Been pretty busy with work and school, got the power locks plugged in and working for the rear doors. Next step is the power windows, may even be able to put the door panels on this month if I can get the interior handles. Not sure if I'm going to keep this project I don't get to drive it very often with the level of traffic around me and the terrible drivers.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts