Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I was just sitting in the parking lot at my college today eating lunch, and I saw my temp gauge slowly rising. I had my radiator blow on me a couple months ago and I replaced it with a Mishimoto OEM replacement, I replaced the thermostat with a NAPA Premium (I read on another post that states that Subaru's don't really like aftermarket parts when it comes to cooling system, but it worked fine for me for a while), and I replaced the two larger coolant lines. I have no idea whether my water pump has been replaced and with that my timing belt. The guy I bought this off of didn't know either. I do know that the car will need head gaskets and valve cover gaskets eventually, but I'm worried they went out earlier than I anticipated.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
-Drew
@dsk_subie

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you check the coolant level?
I found there was no coolant in the upper plastic tank of the radiator, the rubber hose was cold, and so was the radiator cap. I went to autozone and grabbed some coolant and filled it. I have no clue where the coolant is going,

·
I kill threads!
2000 Ver 6 STI - 1996 Gravel Express
3,762 Posts
Let the car run, get up to temp, then smell around for coolant. Sometimes you get a leak that only happens when it gets hot. Heat increases, pressure builds, then it shoots out like a pin size hole or something in the form of a gas, not liquid. Could come from anywhere. Hole in radiator, hole in a hose, radiator cap doesn't seal, etc.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Let the car run, get up to temp, then smell around for coolant. Sometimes you get a leak that only happens when it gets hot. Heat increases, pressure builds, then it shoots out like a pin size hole or something in the form of a gas, not liquid. Could come from anywhere. Hole in radiator, hole in a hose, radiator cap doesn't seal, etc.
alright i’ll definitely try that.

·
Registered
1995 1.8L Impreza Coupe
173 Posts
When the car is running, if you can get someone to rev the car, you can look for white/blueish exhaust that smells a bit off. Or if you can jack the car up (use jackstands, and make sure to do the shake test; safety first), look and see if you can see any signs of headgasket failure. Look for any dark coolant or oil between the head/block on either side.

·
Premium Member
2001, Outback Sport
304 Posts
I found there was no coolant in the upper plastic tank of the radiator, the rubber hose was cold, and so was the radiator cap. I went to autozone and grabbed some coolant and filled it. I have no clue where the coolant is going,
Was there a puddle of coolant under the car? Was the exhaust blowing whitish smoke? Chances are you are probably going to need to replace those head gaskets sooner than you thought

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Was there a puddle of coolant under the car? Was the exhaust blowing whitish smoke? Chances are you are probably going to need to replace those head gaskets sooner than you thought
i have tightened down the lower radiator hose clamp, and im gonna replace the thermostat housing. I dont see any whiteish smoke or anything, and it doesnt smell either.

·
Premium Member
2001, Outback Sport
304 Posts
i have tightened down the lower radiator hose clamp, and im gonna replace the thermostat housing. I dont see any whiteish smoke or anything, and it doesnt smell either.
Any fluid leaking inside the vehivle? may have a blown heater core, or it could be blocked. I have an 09' legacy outback, and was having overheating issues turned out to be a blocked heater core. wasnt allowing coolant to flow and thermostat was not opening. I installed a new OEM t-stat, and still had issues, so i blew out the heater core, and made sure all passages werent blocked. never had any coolant leaking other than from the overflow tank. when you get up to operating temp, check the lower radiator hose to see if its cold. if its cold that means t-stat not opening, that could there fore mean either blocked/blown heater core, or a hose coming to the h2O pump could be blocked from heater core.
check the two hoses going into and out of the heater core ( going into the firewall) to see if they are warm/hot. if they are cold the heater core may be blocked.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Any fluid leaking inside the vehivle? may have a blown heater core, or it could be blocked. I have an 09' legacy outback, and was having overheating issues turned out to be a blocked heater core. wasnt allowing coolant to flow and thermostat was not opening. I installed a new OEM t-stat, and still had issues, so i blew out the heater core, and made sure all passages werent blocked. never had any coolant leaking other than from the overflow tank. when you get up to operating temp, check the lower radiator hose to see if its cold. if its cold that means t-stat not opening, that could there fore mean either blocked/blown heater core, or a hose coming to the h2O pump could be blocked from heater core.
check the two hoses going into and out of the heater core ( going into the firewall) to see if they are warm/hot. if they are cold the heater core may be blocked.
alright ill check that out

·
Registered
1998 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS Coupe
72 Posts
That’s just the overflow tank. The rad just drains coolant there if there is too much in the rad. When the car is cold, pop off the coolant cap and fill it up. Then, start the car. While running with the cap off the coolant level may drop, if it does fill it up more. If it doesn’t, just put the cap back on.
Hopefully your coolant level is just low.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That’s just the overflow tank. The rad just drains coolant there if there is too much in the rad. When the car is cold, pop off the coolant cap and fill it up. Then, start the car. While running with the cap off the coolant level may drop, if it does fill it up more. If it doesn’t, just put the cap back on.
Hopefully your coolant level is just low.
i tightened all my coolant hoses, and now i watch both my coolant and oil levels. now the car just only seems to hesitate on wide open throttle no matter the conditions. any idea what that could be???

·
Registered
1998 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS Coupe
72 Posts
i tightened all my coolant hoses, and now i watch both my coolant and oil levels. now the car just only seems to hesitate on wide open throttle no matter the conditions. any idea what that could be???
Did you overheat the car while it was having cooling troubles? Did it go into the red on the gauge?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
spark plugs, air filter. When was the last time you had an oil change? Also could be ignition coil going bad.
i’ve replaced all of those and my last oil change was about 3000 miles ago. i always do them at exactly 5000.

I replaced the plugs and wires with NGK iridium’s and a pack from my old GC, and my air filter is a K&N.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Why are you wanting to replace the thermostat housing? If you are going to do that you could test the thermostat in some boiling water with a thermometer to ensure it is opening when it's supposed to. You can also test the thermostat in the car by getting the engine to operating temperature, and comparing upper and lower hose temperatures. Lower hose will be cold til the thermostat opens. A blocked heater core can keep the thermostat from opening, but you'll still have cabin heat.

How is your oil level at 5000 miles?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts