Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2002 2.5RS with around 18k miles. For about 14k miles, I have had a Stromung dual-tip catback exhaust and a Ganz-flow cold air intake installed.

Recently the weather has been below freezing most every day. The car has a hard time starting and the engine hardly maintains idle (It sounds like all the cylinders fire in order, but flutters into the next combustion series), but drives like normal. After a couple of days of this, the check engine light came on and the above symptoms remained. About 300 miles after the light came on, it went away. The symptoms never left. The following day, the light was back.

I had the dealership perform the 15k service (I was a little late) and read the trouble codes. They told me that each cylinder had misfire codes. I had them clear the codes and I want to see if they return. If it does, I will re-install the original equipment and clear the codes again. After the service has been performed, the engine idle seems a little better, but not entirely. They keep telling me that the aftermarket equipment maybe be the problem, something about an air leak. I feel it may be the ignition/charging system or fuel delivery system.

Does anyone know of a possible solution or the cause of the problem. If you need more info, please ask. I am worried that I will have a larger repair bill in the future.

·
Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
My 2000 RS and maybe other years had a factory recall on the o2 sensor. Was your vehicle affected by that? Better check, because that gave me some problems and the CEL as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I spoke to the dealer's service department at length. They had never mentioned a recall, so I never thought of it. I have checked for recalls in the past. I don't think that a recall is the problem. Maybe my O2 sensor is bad? But, wouldn't the engine codes have said so?

Driving earlier tonight, everything felt okay. There still seems to be a trace of idling troubles, but nothing like it was. And, when in fifth gear accelerating from 70-75mph is a little sluggish, then "wham!" power...

I am selling the car in the spring anyway.

RS25.com - You have an H6 Forrester with a twin turbo setup? Do you have pics and more info? I need a vehicle that can haul my motorcycle, maybe I'll get one of those;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Am I posting in the right board???

Nobody has any troubleshooting advice?!?! :confused:

The light is back! It never dawned on me that I was running 89 octane, then switched to 87 about 400 miles ago and soon after the engine light was on.... I have started using 89 again to see if the problem will fix itself.

I am calling the dealership tomorrow to ask about finding a cause for the misfire codes.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
FearBoy said:
They keep telling me that the aftermarket equipment maybe be the problem, something about an air leak.
Oh yeah.... I have the Stromung and Ganz on my 2002 RS and it doesn't to that. Don't that them placate you with that bullshit.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have heard that the 2.5L ignition is slightly advanced. I can't recall the source of information, maybe here. Anyways, I am running 89 octane again to see if the CEL will clear itself. I think that the ignition system is at fault. I am going to replace the plug wires. Maybe they are worn and the 15k mile service probably doesn't replace them. Since there is no MAF sensor in the '02s, I know that isn't an issue. I will try to get under my car sometime and check the O2 sensor.

:curse: The service department is getting a phone call right now. A fuel injected car should be able to handle increased intake and exhaust flow without any other modifications. I think they are just being lazy :curse:

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
If you're getting misfire codes in all the cylinders, I would look at the coilpack or the coil connections with the wires. Someone might have forgotten the dielectric grease and the cold weather caused condensation to freeze, giving you all sorts of problems.

At the least, have THEM replace your wires. Demand the problem to be fixed. 18k miles is just a bit too soon to be having problems like this.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks for the help!

I checked the coil pack myself, it's good. Plug wires are okay, too. I spoke to the guys at the service department for a good half hour. The last guy I talked to was a dick, the service manager is much better. He tends to think that the switch back to 89 or higher octane was probably the best move. He even commended me for putting after market equipment on the car. From what I gathered, Subarus have a hard time running well in COLD weather and it has been 30 DegF or lower for the past few weeks. The CEL is still on, but I guess I'll just wait until my car blows up... ;)

Thanks everyone!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts