Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is my first post, so here it goes.

Just some background -- I have a 2001 2.5 RS, and one day I noticed that the sunroof would not open on its own. However, if I push up on the back of the sunroof while holding the button down, then it will open. Once the sunroof actually "lifts" up (with my assistance), then it works fine. It will open all the way and close all the way with no problems. Its just that initial opening that is causing me problems.

Anyway, I found that the sliding mechanism which keeps the sunroof on the track (labeled part "T24") had broken. The front end of the plastic "T24" part was stuck in the track, so when the sunroof was opened, this piece actually broke in half.

I want to fix the problem myself, but dont know where to find the part and dont have an assembly manual for the sunroof.

Can anyone help out??

·
Registered
2017 WRB BRZ w/PP
1,739 Posts
I have the SM's at my house, but I'm in Kansas City this week for work. If someone doesnt post them up by friday, I will when I get back.

·
Registered
01 STM RS EJ257, 6MT, Brembos
2,033 Posts
To be honest that issue of having to put your hand on the back of the roof to get it to pop is pretty common. I'm pretty sure every RS owner that has over 50,000 miles on their car has already adapted. I just push the button with my thumb while resting my other four fingers against the roof pushing up. Combine that with all the other squeaks and rattles and you know you are an RS owner!

·
Registered
2017 WRB BRZ w/PP
1,739 Posts
I must be a lucky one then...120k miles and my sunroof still works perfectly.

Knock on wood

·
Old School
99 GM6 RBP
530 Posts
165k, and still working fine.

Actually, it's going up for sale soon. I put a L roof skin in and saved a bunch of weight. The sunroof assembly is 26 lbs (weighed it today).

·
Registered
92 Crown Vic
629 Posts
i found that i would lube up the seal around the sun roof pannel and it would work for a while. so just keep up on the lube for the sun roof and you won't need to replace it.

james

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have the same problem with my sunroof... but I can't see anything thats broken along the track... I've just adapted but it would be nice to have it working again...

·
Registered
2000 Impreza Sedan
1,238 Posts
i found that i would lube up the seal around the sun roof pannel and it would work for a while. so just keep up on the lube for the sun roof and you won't need to replace it.

james
that's what I've been doing and I'm at 87K miles and no problems

1 - 9 of 9 Posts