Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some solid advice on a swap. We have a 2001 RS ej251 w/MT that was hit pretty hard in the front side. It tweeked the frame pretty bad and lost the front clip as well. We also have a high mile 95 brighton 2.2 a/AT. I think it might be a fun project to swap what we can from the 01 into the 95.

I have read many of the threads regarding this swap but I have done similair swaps in the past with other makes and things are never quite right with the compensations from 2.2 this and 2.5 that etc. I want a clean job, not a creation. Been there, done that and learned.

I want to transfer from the 01 the engine & MT with harness, brakes, rear diff, exhaust, gauges, RS interior ...... the works. I would like to know what will not transfer if anyone has done this please. Also, the air bags blew in the 01 and they are intact on the 95, will they work if left in, what needs to be done for them to work right?

Wish we could transfer the sun roof!

Cheers

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update; We are over half-way with the swap and it has been surprisingly straight forward except for a few minor differences; the dash will need a couple new attaching points at the firewall, and the mounting tabs on the interior of the tranny hump is a little different, but thats about it. We just swapped the front & rear cross members with all of the bigger brakes and (100k less miles) better linkages. The ABS got crunched in the 01 wreck and the 95 didn't have it anyhow, so that worked out.

The bad news was that 6 valves got bent from the timing belt breaking in the accident, but the head gaskets were shot after inspection, so it all worked out.

Now we need to transfer the power windows ...... I think we will transfer the whole door & paint later, maybe we'll flip a coin on that one. Input is certainly welcome.

·
Registered
2001 Miata SE
571 Posts
I don't think you are/did, but if you use the RS steering column and wheel, you need to bore out the hole in the firewall, since the brighton column is skinnier.

Windshield wiper motor mounts are different.

I kept my manual windows, so I don't have any advice to give on that topic.

Feel free to PM me if you have any random questions, I might be able to help.

Have fun!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.