Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
'99 RHD Widebody
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched high and low on here,NASIOC and google and all the info is on full 5 speed swaps, I have and will remain a 4eat in my 01 2.5 rs and have the option to get a Crawford flashed ecu said to be for a 5speed. I know in the 5 speed swap you just have to add a ground to make it compatible with the auto harness but what about doing the opposite, adding the flashed 5 speed ecu and keeping 4eat, is it the opposite in ungrounding the wire or plug n play? Sorry for the noob post and appreciate any help.

·
Registered
97 legacy
30 Posts
If I remember right the ecu is the same for auto and manual. Is only the wiring the difference.butbidk for the 99 and newer Subaru if is the same as the older ones

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would very carefully compare the pinouts for the auto and manual versions however i'm not sure there is a difference. Here is a link to some pinouts that helped me. I now know too much about my car lol. I can tell you that with an auto the computer retards timing when shifting to extend the life of the trans. this was told to me by a master subaru tech who owns his own shop. You will see there are differneces with the neutral safety switch and there are "torque control" signals on the pinout for auto however i'm not sure if the ecu is the same and they are just not used with the manual It is always easier to swap to manual. btw if you need an 01 manual ecu ive got one with the ecu plugs.

Xcceleration

·
Registered
'99 RHD Widebody
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All great info thanks, still hoping for a definite answer from someone who has done this!

·
Registered
2000 2.5RS/C BRP
2,321 Posts
My guess is no one has... But you have some options. You could contact Crawford directly and ask.

Also, if it doesn't work, well you still have a Crawford-tuned ECU you could sell, and stock ECUs aren't too expensive used these days.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts