Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

161 - 180 of 1028 Posts

·
Premium Member
2001 Subaru Impreza L coupe
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #161 (Edited)
2001 Impreza L | WRX swapped daily | Damage repairs and weight reduction!

^^^thanks!

-----

Finally figured out why the Legacy GT has been running so weird since I bought it a few months ago, and recently developed cylinder 4 misfires.

Cyl. 1 = 130 psi
Cyl. 2 = 130 psi
Cyl. 3 = 135 psi
Cyl. 4 = 10psi

Most likely a valve issue since there is no smoke at all. I'll have that headache figured out this week hopefully.

-------

-So back to important things....taking the Impreza apart.

--> Got the battery tray and washer fluid holder off last week. Underneath those panels was pretty crusty from the years. Another small panel that holds the horn and bumper beam also had to be removed to get the battery tray out.

--> Removed the passenger wheel tub/apron today. Pretty sure that's the last damaged panel I needed to remove. I'll be ordering the new panels very soon.

There was atleast 50 spot welds to drill for this whole panel, probably more.

I'm hoping to keep the remaining core support pieces. Won't know till I get the new panels and see how everything lines up....but I should be able to make it all work.

--> Haven't decided on a color for the bay yet. I'm gonna smooth lots of things out, re-paint it, and make the wiring look better.

Fender still bolts on, along with the hood strut mounting point. Still need to find a new hood, preferably aluminum or fiberglass.

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #164
damn fine work so far.

Thanks. This must have been the easy part, no tools were broken or thrown. :lol:

Fitting the new core support pieces and making sure all the exterior stuff still lines up will probably be more difficult/tedious. Just trying to take my time, since I've never done this kinda stuff before.

awesome thread! Love how you get detailed pictures and take us through the entire process. Subbed

Thanks!

I try to include pictures and details so I can go back and reference it later if needed. I can never seem to hold onto paperwork (or laptop hard drives), so keeping all the important info online helps out a ton.

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #165 (Edited)

It's been raining constantly, so I didn't get as much done this week as I wanted.

--> Started grinding down the TONS of little nubs that were left over from drilling the spot welds. Some spots I drilled too deep so they'll get filled in better, then grinded down again, before the new panels go in.

Only like 100 more to go. :lol:

--> Then I started on some wiring things. Once the rain stops, I'll start cleaning up wiring in the bay, but for now I just worked on the engine since its inside.

-Re-soldered the #3 cyl. injector, and cleaned it's wiring up a little.

The first time I soldered a new tail, I made one of the wires too short, and it was putting stress on the connection. Never had a problem, but it always made me nervous:

When I first got the ej205, the engine harness was damaged, and the replacement harness also had damage.....so I was forced to splice a few things.

This is much better for now....I'm going to source a new engine harness anyway, because I want to de-pin and remove a bunch of unused wires....like a/c, p/s, TGV's, ect.

Also, one thing to note, I had to remove the clutch disc and pressure plate to get the engine onto the stand. It was very close but the pressure plate interfered with mounting the bellhousing to the engine stand mount.

Didn't think that would be an issue, but oh well. Gave me a chance to check it all out.....seems like the 06+ WRX stuff is doing just fine.

So now it sits in a box:

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #166 (Edited)

Once again it rained pretty much every day last week besides Sunday, with more rain all this week. If I had a garage the car would be almost done by now. :lol: Oh well, just gotta work between the rain.

-> Anyway.....I finished grinding down the remaining spot weld nubs. Total, for everything I removed, I'd say there were 90-100 spot welds to drill....might seem like a lot, but it could be drilled in a day if you knew where everything was.

-> Almost everything in the bay is taped off or covered up, and sprayed with an initial coat of primer.....a very rough first coat.......still need to do more work before the full primer/color coats. Have to remove the wiper motor thing, my master cylinder brace, and some other stuff.

Now I can start making all the wiring and hoses look better. I'll probably pull most of the wiring and hoses out before I start spraying the actual color too.

-> Starting messing with de-pinning connectors and stuff with an old harness. Much easier than I thought. Seems like most connectors on this engine harness can be taken apart with just a small flat head, and/or needle-nose pliers.

Replaced a broken connector on the ej205's harness this way. The engine doesn't use this connector, but I figured it's better than just taping up the 3 terminals into the loom.....this is a connector that will eventually be removed though...

-> Ordered the new core support pieces as well. I was at a dealership yesterday getting parts for the Legacy, and the parts dude said there was only 2 wheel tub/aprons left in the country!!! So I had to order.

Was only about $300 for all the parts with a sweet online discount at the dealership. Not too bad considering what other OEM stuff goes for.

First picture is pointing to the wheel tub....only a couple left!

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #168
in this pic, is the rail bent inwards? or is it just the angle of the pic that makes it look like it is?
It probably is bent just slightly....but I think the picture makes it look worse. Bumper beam still bolts up easily, so it can't be too far off (I hope).

Or are you talking about the small kink right before the crossmember?
That kink was there before my accident, and before I even bought the car.

It's possible to replace the rail I think. The dealer sells those panels....but I'd like to try to make it all work without replacing the rail.

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #170

Yea that ripple has been there the whole time I owned it. I thought it was normal for a long time. :lol: It didn't get any worse with my accident either.

It's actually right before the crossmember bolt holes, and doesn't effect the crossmember holes at all....I had no problems when I changed out the OEM one for the turbo one.

Previous owner must have wrecked the car, which is funny cause the CarFax showed a clean title when I bought it.

·
Premium Member
96 Impreza Coupe
1,578 Posts

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #173

Just as an FYI, the service manual has all the measurements for the the car for panel replacement and to check what is bent.

These PDF's on this page will be very helpful ensuring that everything will line up:
Directory /Auto/Japan/Subaru/Impreza/1996-2001 Service Manual/BODY SECTION/Body and Exterior/Specifications/

Yea I have those PDF's saved on my phone. They're insanely helpful. Shows very detailed locations and descriptions for the measuring points.

Thanks for the link though....I couldn't remember where I found it before, and now I know where to look if my PDF file gets deleted.

i love and truly appreciate your work. Keep up the great work!

Thank you!

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #174 (Edited)

Core support parts came in fast. Picked them up on Saturday.

Did a rough mock up to see how the new panels fit. Everything seems ok so far. There's a lot of bolts/studs that match up through multiple panels, and help to align things.

For the final mock up I'll use clamps and self taping screws to get everything exactly where it needs to be before welding them in.....but before that, I need the new hood, headlight, and corner light.

Even though the panels are just roughly bolted in place, I took some measurements. So far everything I measured is spot on, or VERY, VERY close.

I won't truly know if things are good until I clamp/screw them down for a final mock up, and take a million more measurements....but it's a good start.

Until I get my hood and lights, I'm going to finish some more stuff in the engine bay to prep for paint. I want to plug or fix some unused/broken bolt holes....and continue to clean up the wiring.

So I removed the ecu before I forgot about it. Don't wanna fry it.

While I was inside the car, I took out the old passenger air bag. Still gotta take out and replace the rest of the air bag stuff too.

Also, as you can see, the dash beam is a rusty mess. Really weird cause it was always perfect, bare metal, no rust.....then a couple months ago it started getting rusty. So I'll eventually pull the dash to de-rust & repaint it

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #178 (Edited)

Quick update on the Legacy GT:

I hate this car. :lol: First it was the ECU, then the clutch (TOB), now a valve. It was supposed to take over daily duties for the Impreza, but has hardly been driven.

Say hello to cyl. #4 exhaust valve.....very frustrating because the car only had 89,000 miles:

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #180 (Edited)

Yea....that's the same thought I keep having. It's all back together now, but something still seems wrong.

Its running exactly how it was before:
-A/F learning values are all positive. Some worse than others
-Lots of random fine knock learn.....never at full boost, but it's usually at medium load or low/medium boost levels. FKLC ranges from -1.xx to -6.xx.

A/F learning is as follows:
A = +6.50%
B = +1.20%
C = +11.20%
D = +11.40%

Vacuum is nearly perfect, and nothing is obviously wrong. Just can't figure it out.

161 - 180 of 1028 Posts