Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

141 - 160 of 1024 Posts

·
Registered
Bluebird
691 Posts
Very nice progress, I'm glad you decided to try and straighten things out with that car.

I saved your car as my background a few times over the years, loved the clean, subtle DD style you had going.

·
Premium Member
2001 Subaru Impreza L coupe
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #145
reminds me of

but seriously, great job, interesting progress!
:lol: :lol: Hahaha at the picture. It definitely felt like I was torturing the car.

Crazy how good the impreza looks, even without a front face
Agreed. They're just great looking cars down to the bare chassis. I just want like 3 or 4 of them with various engine set ups. :lol:

Very nice progress, I'm glad you decided to try and straighten things out with that car.

I saved your car as my background a few times over the years, loved the clean, subtle DD style you had going.
Thanks! I've never had many plans for the exterior, besides the new bumper and eventually a full respray.....and to have no rust.

Wow i came into check and see if u got the bumper and bumper lights on yet. Didnt expect to see this... Youre doing a great job man!
Yea....things didn't go as planned recently. :lol:

I've done a bunch of test fits with the bumper and lights though. Actually, I don't think I posted this picture yet....this was a few weeks ago from the good side of the car:

Nice car, glad you kept the car - love the lightweight setup & frame machine!

Looks like its coming together easier than anticipated, if this continues I'd say turbo upgrade....
:lol: Thanks!

I'd love a bigger turbo, but I'm somewhat limited by the stock 5 speed trans right now. Eventually I'll have AndrewTech build me a stronger 5 speed...

....although, I am planning to change up the turbo set up soon....see next post:

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #146 (Edited)
2001 Impreza L | WRX swapped daily | Damage repairs and weight reduction!

Finally got a spare set of ej205 heads to use for mock-ups....basically free from a friend.

I already had ej205 case halves, valve covers, intake manifold, exhaust, td04, ect....So I was able to piece together a bare ej205 engine for test fits and stuff. This allowed me to start yet another small project for the Impreza:

Rotated TMIC set up

Many reasons, mostly because I hate the OEM turbo inlet under the manifold. This will make things MUCH easier to work on.

Just started planning everything out....but here's the basic idea.

Also, the Impreza is officially illegal to drive. :lol:
Inspection expired last month, and I took it off insurance until it's fixed....and that means I had to turn in my plate.

Luckily I have that lane to drive on (and nearby backroads) to keep her running.

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #147 (Edited)

Haven't made much progress on the Impreza since the last update. I've been ready to drill the damaged core support stuff, but winter put things on hold since early January. So I've just been starting/driving it a little every weekend, and planning things out.

...but it's almost spring, so progress can finally start again. The Legacy GT needs a clutch soon, as the bearings are literally about to explode....but one of my next purchases will be core support pieces for the Impreza.

-Quick list of the main things to do:
-> pull engine
-> drill damaged core support
-> drill/delete battery tray and washer fluid holder
-> install new core support pieces
-> clean and maintenance engine
-> inspect crossmember, replace if necessary
-> reinstall engine
-> replace pass. airbag sensor
-> replace clockspring
-> replace air bags
-> other stuff and things

-I did make some progress on the overall project of fixing the Impreza:

-> Got my shielding gas for the welder
-> Ran a #10awg dedicated circuit to a new receptacle outside my house for the welder

It's only a 120v mig, but I don't trust the old wiring in my house....plus the distance from the panel is a bit over 100 ft. with extension cord, so I wanted to use all #10awg wiring. The extension cord is also #10.

If/when I get a 240v welder, it's a simple as swapping out the breaker and outlet.

-Did a few things to the Legacy GT while I was waiting on warmer weather. Still don't have much of a plan for it. Not even sure if I want to keep it long term....but it'll make a nice daily until the Impreza is done.

-> Accessport to monitor knock and other stuff
-> q300 catback
-> cleared the headlights
-> tires, cause one exploded
-> other maintenance things, ect...

Clutch next

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #151 (Edited)

I've read around recently, and many times before.....but what do you guys think about the 2 bellhousing alignment pins/dowel pins. Are they really necessary?

The Impreza hasn't had them for AT LEAST the last 70,000 miles.....but probably longer. There were none to be found when I yanked the old ej22, and I didn't put in any with the ej205.

Since I'm taking the engine out soon I was wondering if I should worry about getting new pins or not?

When I bought the ej205, it was missing one and the other was all smashed up....so I had to remove it. Then the hole was too chewed up to hold the new pin in place, and I figured it would be pointless to only have 1....so there isn't any.

Without them, it makes splitting the engine and transmission super easy. :lol: For the same reason Ive considered taking the pins out of the Legacy when the clutch is replaced.

·
Registered
EJ205 1996 Brighton coupe
663 Posts
I've had cars with one or no dowel pins without any noticeable issues. I always try to re-install them though. The transbolts provide a high tensile strength to hold engine and trans together, but due to the hole to bolt clearance (usually a 1mm tolerance at each hole radially), the bolts do not provide a fixed datum. The dowel pins are the locating features to insure the trans and engine are aligned properly (Providing 2 of the 3 axis needed to secure no movement. Otherwise there could be excess stress on the pilot bearing. they also prevent the trans from rotating from the engine (however unlikely).

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #153
Damn, that's kinda what I figured....I was just hoping someone would say "naaahh, I never use them on my engines, you'll be fine." :lol:

It just made splitting the engine and trans sooooo easy, not having to fight those pins. I guess I'll enjoy one last easy split, and throw them in while the engine is out.

I'll atleast install the one, the second one may not be able to because of the messed up hole.....have to see once it's out. I suppose I'll keep them in the Legacy as well.

·
Registered
Turbo, LS swapped Impreza RS
5,169 Posts
Next install, sand the dowels smooth and coat them in anti-seize. The motor and trans will separate like a dream next time.

·
Registered
EJ205 1996 Brighton coupe
663 Posts
YUP^^^

I usually take a wire wheel to them, or a little fine grit sand paper. then anti-seize as well. 10x easier the next time.

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #156 (Edited)

Sweet, thanks for the tips guys. I'll definitely give it a try.

Had to change plans, so it looks like I'll be pulling the Legacy's engine this weekend. I'll butter up those pins first, and order some new ones for the Impreza soon.

So once the Legacy's clutch is fixed, the Impreza will finally have my full attention.

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #157 (Edited)

Next install, sand the dowels smooth and coat them in anti-seize. The motor and trans will separate like a dream next time.

YUP^^^

I usually take a wire wheel to them, or a little fine grit sand paper. then anti-seize as well. 10x easier the next time.

Something happened the last time I posted this, or maybe I never even posted it...idk lol......but after all my concerns about the dowel pins, I broke part of the trans case on the LGT where the dowel fits into. :lol: :lol:

Thankfully it didn't break off a larger piece. I still cleaned and greased the pins up really good before I put the engine back.

Here's a couple more pictures from the clutch replacement. The TOB was destroyed, and as soon as the engine was lifted out I saw the ball bearings scatter onto the ground. :lol:

I switched it over to an '06+ WRX clutch set up, to get rid of the stupid dual mass flywheel the LGT comes with. LGT and the Impreza have the same clutch now.

Starting the core support stuff on the Impreza this weekend or next. Finally

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #158 (Edited)

Took the Impreza out on Sunday for one last drive (for a while).

Engine is out and inside. I'll start drilling out the core support stuff this week. Gonna do some maintenance, cleaning, and upgrading to the engine while it's on the stand too.

One small thing I did to the Impreza a couple weeks ago. Changed out a brass fitting to plastic, on my coolant overflow hose.

Not sure what made me think of changing it.....but turns out brass is not the best material for a connector in our coolant systems. Interesting info here about different metals and how they react with aluminum engines:

Material Choice

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #159

I was able to get a few hours in yesterday on the Impreza, and got some of the core support off. A lot of time lately has been spent trying to decide if I should push the Legacy GT off a cliff, or just set it on fire.

-First time drilling spot welds. Very easy with a center punch and spot weld cutter. Center punch is a MUST. The spot weld bit likes to walk all over the place.

Pictures of said tools:

-These are the two panels I took off. The passenger wheel tub/apron panel is the next and possibly final panel that needs removed.

-Pictures of the partially disassembled front end. Feels weird since I was driving it 7 days ago lol.

141 - 160 of 1024 Posts