Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1061 - 1080 of 1094 Posts

·
Premium Member
2001 Subaru Impreza L coupe
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,061
Dude if only! That's one of my less immediate goals.

You talking 05ish LGT trans? I was looking at one but wasn't sure if the cable clutch could still be used since the trans is pull type but my setup is all push type... Do you have a cable clutch from an old turbo car?
The USDM 05/06 LGT 5 speed (maybe 05-09?) is push type. My transmission and cable is just n/a 3.9 5 speed stuff. The LGT case should work for the cable. Just have to move the pivot ball to the other threads. Forks interchange, but probably best to use the LGT fork and TOB.

The only issue I see is the mounting holes for the bracket that the cable attaches to. The LGT case might not have the threaded holes for it. Not sure. Could probably fab something if needed.

07 STi has nice long gears

I’d probably just get the eBay jdm special, whether that’s the forester stuff or whatever is priced decent. Unless I found a good deal, I’m probably going to aviod STI stuff.

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
712 Posts
SoCoNoHo: Old turbo cars (if you're talking 91-94 Legacy) were hydraulic not cable.

OP: it's usually the opposite, the JDM stuff has shorter gearing in general than the US. Here's rallispec's trans chart that I like checking out: https://www.rallispec.com/downloads/Transmission ID Chart_Public.pdf (ignore the "Subaru Gearbox Info Split Case 6MT (75mm)" trannies, those are the new style non-STI 6mt's. Not as strong)

Also, I retrofitted a speedo gear into my 05 LGT trans. Really not hard other than the fact you have to split the case.

·
Premium Member
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,063 (Edited)
SoCoNoHo: Old turbo cars (if you're talking 91-94 Legacy) were hydraulic not cable.

OP: it's usually the opposite, the JDM stuff has shorter gearing in general than the US. Here's rallispec's trans chart that I like checking out: https://www.rallispec.com/downloads/Transmission ID Chart_Public.pdf (ignore the "Subaru Gearbox Info Split Case 6MT (75mm)" trannies, those are the new style non-STI 6mt's. Not as strong)

Also, I retrofitted a speedo gear into my 05 LGT trans. Really not hard other than the fact you have to split the case.
According to that chart, the jdm forester 6 speed (04-07) is longer than the USDM sti’s, even the 07 sti. Unless I’m reading it wrong.

·
95 Coupe, 95 Sedan & 95 Wagon
12,404 Posts
According to that chart, the jdm forester 6 speed is longer than the USDM sti’s, even the 07 sti. Unless I’m reading it wrong.
I just mention 07 as they are in the states and not from over seas/shipped on a container filled with other parts possible damaged in transit, etc. Still, both options work!

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
712 Posts
Yeah, those JDM forester 6mt's have a nicer (taller) 0.707 6th gear, versus my 0.756. It has a taller 5th and 6th than the 07 STI as well. Matter of fact, it has an identical set of gears to a 6mt USDM Legacy Spec B, but with the added bonus of a front LSD. Go forester!

Reactions: bue car

·
Premium Member
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,066
Yeah, those JDM forester 6mt's have a nicer (taller) 0.707 6th gear, versus my 0.756. It has a taller 5th and 6th than the 07 STI as well. Matter of fact, it has an identical set of gears to a 6mt USDM Legacy Spec B, but with the added bonus of a front LSD. Go forester!
Yea that forester trans is the top of my list for when I start looking. Or a 5x100 setup so I don’t have to change everything. Still undecided haha

·
Premium Member
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,067
Either way, the 6 speed swap will have to wait. Time for a big update, at least for me.

Finally....FINALLY....building a garage. 24x40 metal building.

So excited. Just waiting on my permit. Gonna be so nice that my cars don’t have to sit outside all the time anymore. And a better place to work on stuff instead of a gravel driveway, or welding inside my dining room. Can’t fucking wait. Still early stages, so not much to show. If all goes to plan, it should be done by August/September. More soon, but here’s the basic look of it from the plans.

·
Premium Member
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,070
Yea I’m really excited. I don’t think I have it in me to do any more big outside projects on the car. I’m over it at this point. Gonna be so nice to have a clean, dry, organized work space. I can actually let the cars sit and not have the brakes seize from rust.....or be infested with spiders.....or cats/squirrels getting into the engine bay. I can work on stuff at a better pace, and not have to rush and finish everything on the weekends.

Just gonna be so nice

·
Premium Member
1999 RBP RS
1,150 Posts
Engine bay is looking dead sexy dude. This beast has come a long way, can't wait to see ya break ground on the garage!!

·
Premium Member
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,073
Engine bay is looking dead sexy dude. This beast has come a long way, can't wait to see ya break ground on the garage!!
Thanks man. Good to see your still around here.

And garage progress should start next week. I got my permit last week and sent it to the building company. I’m officially in their schedule for August 11th. Trees are getting removed next week. Can not fucking wait.

And it can’t come soon enough.....the motor might have to come back out, and I just ain’t feeling doing that right now. I’m having oil pressure issues. It’s something with the oil pump most likely, but I have to do some more diagnosing first. Lame.

·
Premium Member
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,074
Well, motor is coming back out. Not looking good.

Break in was done, so I drained the oil to finally fill up with some good synthetic. Oil came out dark gray/black....lots of milky/silvery color mixed in. Small glitter, and shavings of metal. Even fished some chunks of bearing out of the oil pan. Cut open the filter and found more metal.

I think there’s been a problem the whole time. The first 2 oil changes were dirty as well, but I figured it would clear up with more miles. Nope.

Stupid shop wants the motor back AGAIN. I’m gonna drop the pan soon to confirm everything, but I think she’s toast. What a waste of fucking time.

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
712 Posts
I don't think you could have been more careful with this engine.

Reactions: bue car

·
Premium Member
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,077
Yea pretty lame. I’m not at all surprised. Just really annoyed with the whole situation. I’ll hold most of my thoughts until I know exactly what happened though.

·
Premium Member
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,078
More metal.

Still need to start tearing it apart to see what’s really going on, but I’m just gonna wait. The garage should be up in 1-2 weeks and I’ll just pull the motor then.

Spread out the filter media and there’s all types of metal. Lots of aluminum shavings and chunks in the filter. The pile on the piece of paper is all steel/iron as it was collected by a magnet. Video shows it all pretty well if you can see it. Don’t know how to properly link videos here anymore.

·
Premium Member
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,079 (Edited)
Garage is up!

Just waiting on the stone and concrete so they can do the floors. Then it’ll be 100% ready to move stuff in. Just really happy the building is up. I’m probably gonna get started on the electric this weekend.

1061 - 1080 of 1094 Posts