Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1041 - 1060 of 1093 Posts

·
Premium Member
2001 Subaru Impreza L coupe
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,041 (Edited)
Edit: not sure if the videos embedded correctly? Doesn’t show up in Tapatalk, but they show up on the full website.

Ok, so the built motor.

Still not very happy with the shop. A few things on the motor I’m not 100% thrilled about, but mostly their TERRIBLE customer service. I just hope this motor stays together for a few years. Just have to wait and see.....

If you’ve followed long enough, you know another engine for me means transport by passenger seat. Don’t worry the brz seats took no damage. I should really get a wagon or truck though.

So here’s all the progress from the motor swap:

The stock ej205 was still running great when I pulled it. Last pull showed 339g/s on my logs. What a great motor that was. Nothing but reliable. Almost 6 years on an unknown mileage Ej205, and 3+ years at 20-21psi.

Was kinda sad pulling it out, but it was time for more. Here’s a few photos and time lapse from that:

Finished the ported collectors I started forever ago. I think they turned out pretty good. Should work well with the grimmspeed crosspipe.....at least until I spend the money on a nice EL header.

Then I started stripping the old motor for what I needed. Again, kinda sad pulling parts off a perfectly good motor.

Had to get a photo of the turbo and exhaust on the shiny new long block.

Lots of parts still needed ordered. So here’s a big chunk of what was needed to finish:

Here’s the motor 95% ready to go. Still using my old intake manifold/wiring/fuel rails for now. Will be changing all that soon. Just wanted to get it running first.

So with the aftermarket cams, priming the oil is very important for a first startup. I’m too cheap to buy a pressurized pre-oiler tank, so I made one, kinda. Just a hand pump that attaches to oil containers, some brass fittings, and hose. Tried it first on the old engine, then the new one. Pics are from the old engine test.

This method easily pushes oil out of the turbo oil feed on the head. I had oil coming out in like 10 seconds on a completely dry motor. On startup I had 90+ psi INSTANTLY.

Doing it on the stand was just for testing purposes, and also to get some oil to the cams when I was spinning it around doing the timing belt.....I did this priming again right before startup.

Went with a 06+ wrx style clutch again. The stock 06 clutch lasted 6 years and 300+ tq. So I went with a stage 1 organic for 06wrx. Should hold a bit over 350tq and by that point I’ll probably break the 5speed anyway.

Already planning for a better trans, but I’m a cheap ass.

And into the car it went....

Did the priming procedure again. Pumped the remaining 4 quarts through the top galley port. Took forever haha. It had instant oil pressure upon startup.

The tune was a rich at first, but I got it idling nice really quickly with some VE changes down low. Did the 20 minute cam break in, drained oil, then started to dial in the idle and low load stuff. It was idling really well. Did some more heat cycles and a short drive, then drained the oil again.

Made some more tune changes and started the ring break in. 1000 miles of boring low boost low RPM driving. It drives really well so far. Still lots of tuning to do, but much easier to start off than I thought it would be.

So, currently, I’m breaking in the rings. Still have 500 miles to go. Shit is taking forever.....but it gives me time to dial in the rest of the tune so all I have to do is turn it up once break in is done. I got fuel trims pretty much within 5%. Doesn’t feel any different from the stock ej205 just driving around town. I think the bump in compression from 8.0:1 to 8.5:1 helped to offset the cams down low.

Here’s a video of the idle. Not much lope, but there’s a little. That’s a 1200-1300rpm idle too. Any lower and the lope gets worse and oil pressure gets too low for my liking. High idle also helps some idle/low end issues that come with cams.

And to cap off this long post, just a photo of the engine bay and car:

·
Premium Member
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,043
Nice progress man!! I should start making some soon, next week I start part time
Going to part time now? Have you been working this whole tome? Or not working? I would’ve loved some time off to get more stuff done, but I’m “essential”.

Honestly, this whole thing has almost benefited me. Way less traffic, still working, and $1200 check lol.

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
665 Posts
What turbo is that? Looks like a Borg Warner something.

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
665 Posts
Nice! How do you like the transient response on a 2.0L?

·
Premium Member
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,047
Nice! How do you like the transient response on a 2.0L?
Current motor, I’m not sure since I’m still breaking it in.

With the stock ej205 it seemed ok, but I never really revved above 6500 very often, and always shifted the 5 speed slow so it wouldn’t break. So I probably haven’t really given it a good test yet, as far as transient response goes.

The new motor should help since I can rev it a bit higher. But still on the 5 speed for now, and slow shifting will always make it somewhat fall out of boost

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
665 Posts
I feel the 5 speed's weakness is greatly overstated. Especially on a 2.0, unless you launch your car on dry pavement.

·
95 Coupe, 95 Sedan & 95 Wagon
12,390 Posts
Going to part time now? Have you been working this whole tome? Or not working? I would’ve loved some time off to get more stuff done, but I’m “essential”.

Honestly, this whole thing has almost benefited me. Way less traffic, still working, and $1200 check lol.
I have been working 11 hour shifts for the past 2.5 years. Including 6 hours on Saturdays. Staying home to care for my family, so going to cut my hours to 4 a day on approval. I'll finally know what it is to have a life again! I will say working so much and no changes really helped though '2020' so far. All I have really worried about is hoping we get a new president this year. All I am saying.

·
Premium Member
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,050
I feel the 5 speed's weakness is greatly overstated. Especially on a 2.0, unless you launch your car on dry pavement.
Yea it’s all about how you drive it. They’re stronger than people give them credit for, but still weak if you wanna drive it really aggressively.

I have been working 11 hour shifts for the past 2.5 years. Including 6 hours on Saturdays. Staying home to care for my family, so going to cut my hours to 4 a day on approval. I'll finally know what it is to have a life again! I will say working so much and no changes really helped though '2020' so far. All I have really worried about is hoping we get a new president this year. All I am saying.
I was just referring to this year. Couldn’t remember what you do for a living, so didn’t know if you were deemed “essential” or not.

No politics for me.

·
12,390 Posts
I work at SpaceX so they considered us Nat. Defense. No changed. A lot got to work from home but I don't have a desk job only. Kept me busy!

·
Premium Member
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,052 (Edited)
I work at SpaceX so they considered us Nat. Defense. No changed. A lot got to work from home but I don't have a desk job only. Kept me busy!
Lol really? That’s awesome. Car stuff is probably boring in comparison.

I do commercial/industrial electric, so we’re essential. In Pennsylvania construction was non-essential, but I work in Maryland where construction WAS essential, so I could keep going to work every day. Roads were so empty a month ago.....man it was nice

·
12,390 Posts
I have learned quite a bit and appreciate certain things a bit more as well. Going from backyard mechanic status to actually knowing a thing of two in general of machinery maintenance, the beauty of engineering, fuck engineers as well (if you know you know), structures, carbon, drilling precision holes, fun with safe-t wire hehe, etc.

I understand and see a lot more of 'why' and the inside fun of Rem's build on here after these past few years in aerospace.

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
788 Posts
I've got a 98 outback 5mt with a welded rear diff behind an EZ30. After about 10 launches at around 4k, the trans still seems fine... Clutch is roasted though.
In my old trans I blew third at around 5500 during a wot pull, but that was days after the worst miss-shift and grind I've ever committed.
I think the 5mt is underrated as well.

·
Premium Member
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,055
I've got a 98 outback 5mt with a welded rear diff behind an EZ30. After about 10 launches at around 4k, the trans still seems fine... Clutch is roasted though.
In my old trans I blew third at around 5500 during a wot pull, but that was days after the worst miss-shift and grind I've ever committed.
I think the 5mt is underrated as well.
Yea they can certainly hold up better than some people think. Mine has lasted 6 years on my swap, and 3 years at 300+ torque. I just avoid aggressive driving in 1st gear, and try to be easy on shifts. I think I can make it to 400whp and whatever wtq that makes before the trans breaks if I keep driving like I have been.

But at the same time I’m kinda sick of the 5 speed. Would love to be able to just slam through the gears and set up No-lift-to-shift on a nice 6 speed. Also the better diffs and torque split. If I really had the money I’d love a sequential.....but if I had that kinda money, I’d have a different car lol

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
665 Posts
The 6mt gears are stupid short and I'm always banging off the limiter, and 6th (on my 2004 at least) really isn't that awesome for highway cruising. 02-05 WRX has a fantastic top gear.

The rest of what you said is true, though I'd say the shift quality is notchier on my 6mt vs my 05 LGT 5mt in my other subi. The engagement on that 5mt is way smoother and satisfying.

·
Premium Member
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,057
The 6mt gears are stupid short and I'm always banging off the limiter, and 6th (on my 2004 at least) really isn't that awesome for highway cruising. 02-05 WRX has a fantastic top gear.

The rest of what you said is true, though I'd say the shift quality is notchier on my 6mt vs my 05 LGT 5mt in my other subi. The engagement on that 5mt is way smoother and satisfying.
If I do swap to a 6 speed, I’d probably get one of the JDM versions with the longer gears, but I don’t think I’d mind the short gears. Its just a weekend car now. I never drive it to work and hardly ever take it on the highway. Plus I’m kinda getting used to shorter gears with my BRZ and it’s 4.3 final drive. The constant shifting can get a bit old though.

I loved the 5 speed in my LGT. Before I go 6 speed I’m definitely trying the LGT 5 speed for a bit. Can find them pretty cheap online. Definitely stronger than what I have, better gearing, and I can keep running my cable clutch.

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
788 Posts
If I really had the money I’d love a sequential....
Dude if only! That's one of my less immediate goals.

You talking 05ish LGT trans? I was looking at one but wasn't sure if the cable clutch could still be used since the trans is pull type but my setup is all push type... Do you have a cable clutch from an old turbo car?

1041 - 1060 of 1093 Posts