Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1001 - 1020 of 1025 Posts

·
Registered
1998 GF8, 2003 BH9
156 Posts
I might be biased but I'm a fan of the black. It makes everything look tidy and simple and doesn't take attention away from the engine/turbo. And the bonus is that it hides dirt really well compared to other colours (if it's satin black).

·
Premium Member
2001 Subaru Impreza L coupe
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,002
So clean to look at...

It’ll look better once I stop being lazy and re-do some of the fmic piping for less couplers. Just need to practice with my tig more. The thing I hate about welding is the prep work. I just wanna practice, but that involves lots of boring prep work. :lol:

I might be biased but I'm a fan of the black. It makes everything look tidy and simple and doesn't take attention away from the engine/turbo. And the bonus is that it hides dirt really well compared to other colours (if it's satin black).

For sure, definitely helps hide dirt, and contrasts the engine/turbo stuff nicely.

It’s not satin....but it is spray paint gloss with spray paint clear enamel, so it might as well be satin. :lol: was glossier at first but has faded a bit over time. The spray paint has held up surprisingly well in the engine bay heat/chemicals/fluids/dropping tools though.

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,003 (Edited)
Made some small changes, but it’s mostly the same tune. Just revving a little higher and summer temps are finally gone so IAT’s aren’t 100*F+ anymore. Seeing 330+ g/s now.....highest was 334g/s at 6800-6900 rpm.

IAT’s were 75-80 in boost, at 60* ambient temp. It’s a little rich up top, but that’s an easy fix. Just gotta lower VE closer to 7,000 and it’ll be solid 11:0 all the way out. I had my VE safe up top since I never used to rev higher than 6500.....so just need to trim some fuel.

Still need to mess with boost a little to get it as smooth as my 17psi map, but it’s pretty solid at 19.5-20psi right now. Feels quick but I want more.

datazap.me | mkraft7 | Log 1570323339

·
Experimenter
Tubaru Pickup
3,910 Posts
looks like the funs begun. Your g/sec keeps climbing like mine used to. I dont know whats up with this EJ206, it runs some much different than my old ones. gets to 300ish g/sec early and just stays flat after that

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,006 (Edited)
looks like the funs begun. Your g/sec keeps climbing like mine used to. I dont know whats up with this EJ206, it runs some much different than my old ones. gets to 300ish g/sec early and just stays flat after that

Yea seems like this turbo really starts to shine at 20psi and up. Can’t wait to see how 25+ feels with the built engine.

My g/s keeps climbing, but I feel like after 7,000 it will peak. Torque/calculated load starts to fall off a little, and I have my VE tapering off after 6500.....which makes sense with the stock cams.

Don’t the g/s numbers get a little messed up with e85? Since the injector scale is different? I remember reading that somewhere. You should definitely be making power up top since those heads flow more than the normal s20 heads. Weird that the g/s stops climbing.

Probably good seals before they start to gap and then the head gaskets start wearing out...

Say what now?

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,009
Started from the beginning and subbing here to keep reading! Loving it so far and taking some ideas here and there, nice work!

Thanks! I’m always amazed that it’s interesting enough for people to read all the way through. Lots of long posts and large pictures to sift through in the beginning. :lol:

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,010 (Edited)
My summer of being lazy and not working on the cars continued last weekend. Made last minute plans to go to Atlanta for petit Le Mans. Such a good time. Have tons of pics to go through, but here’s just some phone stuff for now.

So cool to see the Ford GT and C7R race for the last time, along with some others. Some awesome liveries there.....and got to see the c8 and C8R in person.....actually got to hear/see them them take a lap in the C8R too. Night racing was cool too.

Should be the last race for a while, except WCF, so maybe I’ll finally get back to working on my cars soon.

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,013 (Edited)
Finally spun it to 7,000! Hope you guys are happy now. :lol: Only took me 5 years. I’m a grandma.

In other news.....THE BUILT MOTOR IS DONE!!!!! It should be ready for me to pick up next week! Then I can finish assembling it and hopefully toss it in the car before winter fully gets here. Have some stuff to do before it goes in, but I’m excited to start doing stuff again..

Going to Haltech World Cup finals this weekend to see some badass cars....finally an event where I’m not taking 7,000 photos and can just sit and enjoy.....also, I just purchased my campsite for the 2020 Rolex 24 in Daytona, so really looking forward to that. Never been before, only Watkins glen and road Atlanta. Really enjoying going to these IMSA and Blancpain GT races.

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,014 (Edited)
Well, didn’t take long for this BRZ to get damaged. This is deer #4 for me. Couldn’t even try to avoid it.....fucker just ran right into the side of the car. Didn’t see it at all before it hit me. Only looks like fender, door, headlight, turn signal, bumper maybe.....but still so frustrating.

If anyone wonders why I never do exterior mods to my cars, or haven’t fixed the rust and painted my coupe, this is why. All my cars get damaged/destroyed.

I hate deer.

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,016
Why do none of you post the freezer full of meat you get from these deer!
:lol: I’m always too angry after this happens to stop right away, so I’m not even sure if they die or not. I’m usually in disbelief for a minute, just hoping it’s a bad dream before I pull over to check the damages. I’ve looped back around a few minutes later and they’re always gone.

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,017
Sucks what happened to this forum. I’ll still post some stuff here, but seems like everyone is already leaving. I didn’t want to end my journal on a bad note with the brz damage......so......

Last weekend I picked up the built motor! FINALLY!!!

So clean and shiny. Not sure when it’ll actually go in the car....still thinking and planning some stuff.....but I’m gonna start slapping on the parts I have soon. Already have a 2.5 pan, killerB pickup, new 11mm oil pump, water pump, and some miscellaneous stuff. Will swap over manifolds to get it running, then get some better ones later. Need a stronger clutch most likely.....the stock 06+ wrx clutch I’ve been running hasn’t slipped yet at 330ish WHP, but I’m sure it’ll slip at 400+.

Pretty nervous about the cams. I think the horror stories with aftermarket cams has died down a little, but I know it still happens. Fingers crossed on that.

Build info since it’s been a while:
-2.0 block
-s20 heads
-8.5:1 pistons
-H beam rods
-new 75mm crank
-272 cams
-springs/retainers

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,018
Thoughts on oil cooler for the built motor?

Do I spend the money on a brand new oem cooler, hardline/hoses?.....or just get an aftermarket cooler that would work better and possibly be cheaper?

Then again, I’d need to buy a n/a waterpump, unless I just plugged the extra ports or modified it like some people have. I already have a brand new turbo water pump if I go the oem cooler route.

Or....Is it possible to re-use the cooler off my current ej205 since it’s still running good? I know you can’t re-use a cooler from a blown up engine, but one from a running engine should be ok right?

·
Premium Member
2001 SRP 2.5RS/RA/SOHC Monster
2,734 Posts
Thoughts on oil cooler for the built motor?

Do I spend the money on a brand new oem cooler, hardline/hoses?.....or just get an aftermarket cooler that would work better and possibly be cheaper?

Then again, I’d need to buy a n/a waterpump, unless I just plugged the extra ports or modified it like some people have. I already have a brand new turbo water pump if I go the oem cooler route.

Or....Is it possible to re-use the cooler off my current ej205 since it’s still running good? I know you can’t re-use a cooler from a blown up engine, but one from a running engine should be ok right?
Personally I am not a fan of the OEM Oil Cooler (Warmer). I personally opted to run a Cast Impeller 2 port Water pump on my build. 21111AA250 is the part number for the 2 port, cast impeller version. The cast impeller is supposed to reduce cavitation.

The reason I don't like the OEM set-up is that it is really only useful in warming up the oil on cold starts and has no benefit in keep the oil cool once the engine has reached operating temp. An external oil cooler is far more beneficial. Just be sure that if you do use an external cooler that you utilize a thermostatically controlled system so the oil only runs through the cooler once it reaches a certain temp.

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,020 (Edited)
Personally I am not a fan of the OEM Oil Cooler (Warmer). I personally opted to run a Cast Impeller 2 port Water pump on my build. 21111AA250 is the part number for the 2 port, cast impeller version. The cast impeller is supposed to reduce cavitation.

The reason I don't like the OEM set-up is that it is really only useful in warming up the oil on cold starts and has no benefit in keep the oil cool once the engine has reached operating temp. An external oil cooler is far more beneficial. Just be sure that if you do use an external cooler that you utilize a thermostatically controlled system so the oil only runs through the cooler once it reaches a certain temp.
Thanks for the input. Besides the oil warmer thing, I also hate how low the oil filter hangs with the oem cooler on there.

That being said, I think I’m gonna stick with the oem cooler (warmer) for now. I’m cheap lol. Didn’t realize how pricey the aftermarket kits are (plus buying the other water pump). I can always change it out later on. The oem cooler is only $200 brand new, and I might even be able to re-use the one off my ej205.

As far as the water pump stuff, i forgot I’ll have unused ports no matter what since I deleted the turbo coolant tank. I’ll just run the new 3 port I already have.

1001 - 1020 of 1025 Posts