Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

81 - 100 of 1022 Posts

·
Registered
2014 DGM WRX
1 Posts
Where in PA are you? Im in the eastern part near Doylestown and Im looking for some other people to maybe drive with on weekends and such. Great looking car by the way.

·
Premium Member
2001 Subaru Impreza L coupe
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
2001 Impreza L | WRX swapped | lightweight daily driver project

Been a little while....after all the maintenance over the winter (and last summer/fall) I've been lazy. The past few months I've spent over $1500 on stupid things that have failed and maintenance, so I haven't gotten to do any real upgrades/mods.

I'm also trying to save up for a spare engine for my car, and a spare GC/GD for when mine has problems.

So anyway, it's warm out finally, and I got new summer tires. Went with Dunlop direzza ZII. They're supposed to be Star Spec replacements or something, and I like them so far.

Also needed an alignment, so I made a trip down to AndrewTech. I also had them do the tranny and rear diff fluid while I was there....cause it's AndrewTech and they're awesome. :banana:

Then I converted to a Hovercar:

Just kidding, I painted the wheels cause I was bored of the white. I'll probably do some more coats this weekend to make it last a bit longer, but I like the gold:

The rear 02 randomly died so I replaced it. Pretty sure the heatshield cut into the wire, and eventually caused a short or break in the wire....so I added some "trough liner" that covers the sharp edges. We use it in electrical so edges don't skin the wires up, so I figured it would work prefect for the heatshield:

I added 2 ground wires in the interior, to link back to the battery. One is ran to an ECU mounting bolt, and the other is the factory ground right by the passenger door....that ground is also the ground for my fuel pump and fuel pump controller. Since the battery was moved I wanted to make sure both of those had a solid ground.

Ran along the trans tunnel to my battery in the backseat:

I've been still RANDOMLY losing oil and can't figure out where. Hardly even a drop in the intercooler, and the turbo doesn't seem to burn any.....I pulled the downpipe last weekend and all seems good. No shaft play, and no wetness of oil, so that's good....

And I rolled over 170,000 miles on Monday:

·
Registered
Bluebird
690 Posts
Hey there, just stopping by to say I really enjoy your thread, and the path you've taken with your car. It's nice to see a Subaru modified from a true 'drivers perspective', keep it up!

·
Premium Member
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
wheels look good that color on the SRP.

I've always kinda liked gold wheels on red cars.

Hey there, just stopping by to say I really enjoy your thread, and the path you've taken with your car. It's nice to see a Subaru modified from a true 'drivers perspective', keep it up!
Thanks! I just wanted the car to handle decent but remain functional, since the roads in PA are terrible....plus, boosting on gravel roads is just too much fun. :projectsti.com:
Eventually I'll get around to some cool interior and exterior parts though...

·
Premium Member
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #86 (Edited)

Haven't done much since the last update.....bought some things, installed a couple things, and cleaned the engine bay.

Painted some rusty bits, and cleaned 15 years of gunk off the firewall:

-v1-4 front bumper

I finally found one local to pick up, so I didn't have to deal with shipping. Just gotta get it painted SRP, and find a new spot for my LED's.

-Rear disc conversion parts

I pulled the calipers, brackets, and rotors off a 2004 Impreza wagon...but was unable to get the knuckles from the same car. So the knuckles and hubs are from a 2001 Forester....quite the task pulling rear knuckles from a junkyard Subaru. :lol:

These won't go on for a couple months. I will be refreshing/rebuilding the calipers, de-rusting and painting everything, and installing new wheel bearings.

-Interior stuff

Pulled some interior pieces from that same Forester I got the knuckles from.

I needed a new armrest and couldn't find a normal small one, so I grabbed the extended Forester one. I also grabbed the fuzzy dash pocket, and a new cup holder.

Attempt number 5 for an Accessport holder/mount.

Suction cup type with a good adjustable holder seems to work better than the other types.

-I finally took apart the old ej22, and it looks like the ej22 coolant crossover fits the ej20 block. Gonna read into it more and see, because it would fix the sharp angle of the upper radiator hose.

Pictured is the ej205 block....it just has the ej22 heads mocked up to consolidate parts around the house.

·
Premium Member
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #88 (Edited)

that ver4 bumper is going to looks awesome.
I am excite.
As soon as I find amber turn signals for it, I'm dropping the bumper off to get painted.

-----------

Small update:

--Two weekends ago, I journeyed up to Wellsboro to watch STPR. It was an awesome time, and I can't wait to go back next year.

Twice, I got "bad" directions and ended up on the same gravel roads the rally drivers were using between stages. :lol: :banana:
One time I was going the opposite direction and had to move to the side for each car...and the other, I got to drive behind them for a couple miles. Pretty cool that you can get so close to the drivers.

Here's a short clip of the road I saw the drivers on:
STPR 2015 rally car drive by - YouTube

Here's a iPhone clip of one of the GC's on stage 13:
STPR 2015 fast GC impreza - YouTube

and here's some of the pictures I took:

--This past weekend I started my rust removal with electrolysis. You can see the rust that floated to the top in the second picture:

This is how I plan to de-rust all that rear brake stuff I bought. Works VERY well. I did a trial run this weekend, and here are a caliper and bracket after about 4-5 hours:

It's a long process, so in a week or two I'll have the rest of it rust free. Here's a quick mock up of the painted caliper on the knuckle. I still need to dunk the rotors in too....but I like the red so far!
I might find a darker red to match the SRP better though.

·
Premium Member
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #90 (Edited)

Been kinda busy lately between work and troubleshooting problems with the car. It feels like its been forever since I've done any mods....but the next 2 things are the rear discs and v1-4 front bumper finally.

I've been at a standstill with the rear discs. I still can't get the stupid ass lateral link bolt out of the disc knuckes. Its literally frozen in time and won't budge.....I've tried almost everything, but will be torching/cutting it out this week. The calipers, brackets, and rotors have been ready....just sitting on a shelf waiting.

I also got my amber turn signal lights for the v1-4 bumper. Someone on here showed me where to get new DEPO ones for a awesome price, cause I couldn't find used oem ones anywhere.

Today (8/16/15) I finally replaced the fuel filler neck. I've been battling 3 different EVAP codes on and off the past year, so I figured it was time. It was rusted through and had a few small holes.

All new OEM stuff....all stainless hardware. Just gotta replace a few clamps and one hose.

I put about 700 coats of paint on the new filler neck and plate. :lol: I bet it'll still rust in a few years.
...by the time it was installed, it was so scratched up I had to re-spray it on the car.

Drove about 50 miles so far and no codes....hopefully I'm in the clear. If I still have problems, I'm having the tuner turn off the CEL's and I'm deleting the EVAP. :lol:

Last week I replaced the PCV fitting that comes off the block, and the hoses around it. The hoses were really hardened and leaking oil, probably vacuum too. Managed to get hose clamps on every connection.....huge PITA to work with the turbo there.

·
Premium Member
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #91 (Edited)

I'd like some opinions on how this looks. I photoshopped my LED's onto a SRP Impreza with v1-4 bumper I found on google.

Hoping by next week or week after to drop the bumper off for paint.....but first I need to fit my square LED's somewhere.

They'd basically fit right where the oem fogs would go. I'll just make up some brackets, and trim to fill in around the lights.

I'd like some nice looking circle lights, but I NEED the LED flood lights for nighttime driving. Circle lights in general just don't seem to have the output of the LED's.....and my LED's only weigh 1 lb. each, and only draw 1 amp each.

Just for reference, here's an old picture showing their output....they were poorly adjusted and are brighter in person.

High beams vs. High beams + LED's:

·
Premium Member
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
I think they're 3" x 3" but yeah it needs something to fill in the empty area. That's why I was thinking of making some sort of trim piece that goes around the lights, and get them paint matched.

Kinda like how the p1 fog lights are, just square.
(Bad quality google image)

The only other place they could go, is behind the grille....but I prefer to have them lower and farther apart to shine light on the sides of the road.

·
Premium Member
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #94 (Edited)

Ok, so here's the basic, rough shape so far. I still have LOTS of smoothing out and blending to do, and a bunch of adjustments to make.

They're just foam, so I'm adding layers of epoxy resin to give a smooth, hard surface to paint....I wanted to use fiberglass, but fiberglass resin dissolves the foam. Obviously the bumper and fog cover things will all be painted SRP....I just made them white for now since the bumper is currently white.

I'll get a picture with the lights actually in the trim pieces when I get home.

·
Registered
99 AW Coupe
723 Posts
Please, please use some fiberglass. Epoxy resin alone will not add any strength. The very first rock chip will destroy your covers if you're not adding any fiberglass cloth/mat.

Tip:

Wrap the foam covers with aluminum foil, then cover that with packaging tape. Do your very best to get all the contours and crevices. After that, start laying the fiberglass on top of the tape. One layer of .75 oz, then 2-3 layers of 1.5 oz. will suffice. The tape will act as a barrier. Once completed, dump some acetone over the foam to dissolve it, then rip out the aluminum foil and tape. After that, smooth the face of the cover with bondo.

·
Premium Member
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #100 (Edited)

Please, please use some fiberglass. Epoxy resin alone will not add any strength. The very first rock chip will destroy your covers if you're not adding any fiberglass cloth/mat.

Tip:

Wrap the foam covers with aluminum foil, then cover that with packaging tape. Do your very best to get all the contours and crevices. After that, start laying the fiberglass on top of the tape. One layer of .75 oz, then 2-3 layers of 1.5 oz. will suffice. The tape will act as a barrier. Once completed, dump some acetone over the foam to dissolve it, then rip out the aluminum foil and tape. After that, smooth the face of the cover with bondo.

Ooof....thanks for the warning, and the tips. Definitely don't want them to break easily, especially with the shitty roads here.

What if I keep using the epoxy resin, but use fiberglass cloth with it? They make fiberglass cloth that's compatible to bind with epoxy resins.

Also, I didn't plan on removing the foam core, just cover the whole thing with fiberglass/epoxy and paint it. That way it's not just the layers of fiberglass and/or epoxy....it'll have the foam as some sort of inner structure.

Although, I didn't know about using acetone to easily dissolve the core. I may have to try that if I can get the layers of fiberglass thick enough.

I'm definitely open to any advice here....I didn't think it would be this involved to coat the foam and make it durable.

81 - 100 of 1022 Posts