Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

941 - 960 of 1018 Posts

·
Premium Member
2001 Subaru Impreza L coupe
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #941
Clutch maintenance:

Clutch has been feeling worse and worse lately. Vibrations in the pedal, heavy pedal, squeak/creaking/dragging while pressing clutch pedal. Multiple issues....

Vibration issue was easy.....lost the little helper return spring again. Don’t know why it keeps breaking or falling off. Doesn’t make much of a difference, but the fork does rattle around without it.

A while ago I found a similar tension and length spring at the hardware store, and have been using it on my sedan for a while. Put one on this car and I think it’ll last longer than the oem one. Works really well.

Next I replaced the cable. It wasn’t broken, but had seen better days. All the dust boots were torn, and the crimped end by the pedal was cracked and falling apart.

Had a new oem cable for years now, Incase mine broke.

So new cable felt better, but squeak/creaking was still there. Definitely from inside the bellhousing. Only thing to try without removing the engine/trans was to grease the pivot point. Was able to reach down the fork and wipe some grease on the pivot.

Wow. Clutch is buttery smooth now. Pedal is lighter, and no noise or dragging. Felt completely different to drive. I’m sure it’s not a permanent solution, but should buy some time. Probably do it again in like a month.

Best picture I could get. I didn’t leave the big glop like that. Wiped it around more and cleaned out some of the dust build-up.

New cable needs lots of adjusting. At first it was too short, and I couldn’t even fit both jam nuts on the cable. Now after pressing the clutch lots of times, adjusting it 15+ times, and a drive, it’s getting closer to where it should be.

Good thing it’s really easy to adjust.

Also......

Replaced all my catch can lines. I lazily used heater core hose temporarily and never went back to replace it. Heater hose breaks down after a while. Used low pressure fuel line (30r7) which good for fuel/oils/pcv and should last a while. 1/2” for valve covers and 3/4” for crankcase.

Dual eBay catch can setup ($30 total) is still working fantastic. Can’t imagine paying for an AOS. :lol: Still plan on making a big aluminum catch can to mount behind the driver side headlight one day....but this works great for now.

And a random front picture

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #945
Trying to get back into things.....haven’t really used my TIG much cause I needed a way to cut tubing nice and square, quickly, with angles if needed. Bandsaw was out of the budget.....so a cheap miter saw was the best way I could come up with.

Quick clean up of the edges and it fits up nice for welding.....better than a sawzall/hacksaw anyway.....

Nicer downpipe and fmic piping coming soon! Gonna chop up some scrap pieces this weekend and start messing around.

Also, random GoPro video from the other week cause I was bored. Never really taken any videos of the car before.

·
Premium Member
2001 SRP 2.5RS/RA/SOHC Monster
2,696 Posts
Something has to look presentable.....the rest of the car is looking pretty rough these days
Touché. I thought mine was going to be super neat until I started actually plumbing everything up. Makes me wish I went rotated now!

·
Registered
Turbo, LS swapped Impreza RS
5,166 Posts
When you are doing aluminum in the chop saw it helps to run a bar of soap along the disc prior to cutting. It slows down the build up on the disc.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Experimenter
Tubaru Pickup
3,910 Posts
When you are doing aluminum in the chop saw it helps to run a bar of soap along the disc prior to cutting. It slows down the build up on the disc.

he speaks the truth, a little soap on abrasive discs cutting/grinding aluminum works magic

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #949
Makes me wish I went rotated now!

Never too late to change ;)

he speaks the truth, a little soap on abrasive discs cutting/grinding aluminum works magic

Sweeeet, gonna try that out. I only did the one cut, but noticed the aluminum buildup on the disc already

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #950 (Edited)
Haven’t done too much lately, mostly preparing for a trip at the end of the month to camp at Watkins Glen to watch some IMSA racing. A buddy and I are driving up, and I hope to take my coupe. Not a crazy long drive, but It’ll be the longest in a very long time, especially with the new setup.

So I started some practicality and reliability stuff:

Most important thing was heat shielding for the turbo’s oil return. It was a little too close to the uppipe flange.....never touched....but too close for comfort. Got some DEI wrap for starters I think?....and cut it up to wrap around the oil return hose. Much better.

Next was music.

I had taken all the speakers and headunit out last year for weight purposes.....and just had a little bluetooth speaker. It worked really well. The main reason I wanted a real headunit back was for the extra 12v/usb power for my trip.....and obviously the door speakers are louder and easier to actually hear when your flying down the highway. :lol:

Only put back the door speakers.....rears are still deleted.

I have working washer fluid nozzles again.....only because I stole the good ones from my sedan. Thought it was something else wrong, but the nozzles were just rusty/clogged. It’s working really well now and will easily shoot over the roof, even with the tank in the trunk.

Just a few more things to gather and take care of before the trip. Besides that, some more tool related stuff:

So after more reading, I returned the miter saw and got an actual chop saw. It’s made for metal so it works better and should last longer. Still makes angled cuts and the work clamp holds pipes nice and snug.

Also made an extension cord/adapter, so I can use 240v for my TIG. My panel is full, so an easy way to get 240 without running a new circuit is using the outlet for a dryer.

My dryer plug is different than the welders plug (see second picture), and the dryer is hot-hot-neutral, unlike the welder which is hot-hot-ground. Luckily, in this situation, neutral=ground (basically) so it doesn’t really matter. Just gotta get the right plugs for each end. I used some flexible conduit and THHN wire from work. Overkill, but it was pretty much free.

I should finally be able to start using my TIG more and start making/remaking some stuff. Also gonna drop off the 22t block very soon so start getting machined. Can’t wait for a built engine.

Here’s just a random picture I took recently. Quality might not be the best cause Flickr sucks:

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #954 (Edited)
Been a busy few weeks with events, trips, working on stuff......and Flickr has been making it really difficult to post pics from my phone lately.....but, I did some stuff to all the cars, dyno’d the coupe at boxerfest, then the following week I drove it 4.5 hours to Watkins Glen to watch racing all weekend. Fun stuff. More detailed post with more pics and videos soon.

Now that stuff is over, I’m trying to get back into things. Got some TIG projects I wanna start soon.....and..... I’m FINALLY gonna drop off stuff to a machine shop so I can FINALLY have a built engine. Just gotta see which of my 2.2 blocks are useable. More on that soon....

Just a few random pics from the race weekend for now. Still going through stuff:

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #957
:lol: :lol: I said I was gonna have more details in the next post.

277whp at 16 psi.

Map was for 17 psi, but the heatsoak was crazy and it didn’t give enough WGDC, so it was only hitting 16. Which is good, that’s what the compensations are for, but still lame.

Oh well, it was a good baseline. I confirmed that g/s is really, really close to actual whp.....and load (g/rev) is similar to torque. My logs almost matched the dyno numbers.

Also a good test for high temp speed density stuff. No knock at all, and AFR’s were right where they usually are. Pretty happy about that.

·
Registered
96 Impreza, 03 WRX
15 Posts
Just finished reading through this whole thread. Only took 2 days at work lol. Easily my favorite build on RS25. Btw, try imgur for uploading pics

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #959
Just finished reading through this whole thread. Only took 2 days at work lol. Easily my favorite build on RS25. Btw, try imgur for uploading pics

Thank you! I’m surprised it’s interesting enough to read all the way through. Been a fun journey. I may disagree with you, as there’s a lot of builds way cooler than mine on here, but I appreciate it. :lol:

Yea I may have to switch imagine hosting again. Flickr is getting annoying to deal with.

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #960
Finally dropped off parts for the built motor this morning!

Still not sure what route I wanna go, so I dropped off 2 blocks to give me some options. First they’re just checking to see if they blocks are good and useable. They both should be, but I wanna make sure.

One block is an n/a 22e from my 98L sedan. It only had 110,000 miles and I’m hoping it’s in good enough condition to use some standard bore drop in pistons to save some money/time. The other block is the 22t block, and that’ll need oversize pistons, likely custom. This is the more expensive route, but would be stronger/better.

Either way it’ll be a 2.0/2.2 hybrid with forged pistons and rods. Can. Not. Wait. :banana:

941 - 960 of 1018 Posts