Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

21 - 40 of 1028 Posts

·
Premium Member
2001 Subaru Impreza L coupe
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
2001 Subaru MoneyPit (Impreza L)

No a/c again (or p/s), and I think I can use the same 27" belt like on my ej22 from crank to alternator. My tensioner should be here in a couple days so I'll know for sure.
Part# 4PK0695 2K474

The crank position sensor's connector must have been broken or something because the wires are spliced in, and there's no connector! Just wires onto the terminals.
(There was putty surrounding it to keep out dust but still)

So I gotta splice in a connector...

I cleaned up the intercooler and straightened some fins....then ended up cleaning a lot of the engine with a wire brush. The flash kinda exaggerates it, but it's much cleaner than before.

I'm using my lightweight pulley and have other stuff on the way so this is just a mock up:

For some reason the a/c delete plug doesn't fit in my firewall, so I put it onto the part that comes through the firewall....eh, close enough:

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)

Been doing maintenance and other things on the engine while I wait for parts....might as well while I have it on the stand.

-I got my alternator tensioner so I can confirm it works for the 27" belt I have...then I cut up the bracket a little.

-Was sent a slightly damaged wrx alternator....but it ended up being an STi, 90 amp one...Win?

-Also made an attempt at an alternator cover...not sure if I want to run with or without a cover though:

Here's maintenance I did over the weekend:
-complete valve cover job
-spark plugs
-oil filter
-replaced rusty oil cooler hardline
-cleaned parts/bolts
-painted parts/bolts

-Grabbed a few extras too....upgrading is too easy sometimes....Stock y-pipe is dumb so I went silicone, and why buy a stock old DP?
-This one has no shields and is already ceramic coated. :banana:

-Sprayed and test fit this thing into my car for the boost solenoid and those sensors:

...and here's just a random shot of the engine so far. The guy is sending me a new intake mani and wiring harness because that crank sensor is all messed up....so I should probably do TGV deletes while its apart.

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)

Thanks!

Since I needed to replace the engine harness due to broken connectors and stuff, the manifold had to come off no matter what.

New harness had more broken connectors so I soldered ones from the other harness....I also installed a one piece turbo inlet and did TGV deletes while it was all apart. I kept the GBOD off too.

I was kinda lazy with the deletes and didn't cut out the divider wall, but I knife edged it and smoothed down that lip on the inside. I also used the weldless delete kit from ks tech....I put on some sealant and red loctite to help make sure it won't leak.

I smoothed and cleaned them up more before install:

Then it got sketchy when I did my first timing belt.....DOHC is a little tricky. :D

I pulled the grimmspeed crank pulley off the ej22 to put on the ej20....that pulley tool really comes in handy:

I replaced some more hoses , tucked a few wires, and routed this pcv line....the new inlet relocated it:

....and another shot of the engine. Just a few more things to check over and install and it'll be ready.....big thing is the clutch...I hope the 06 wrx stuff works:

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)

Two weeks ago I got news my harness was on the way back so I started that Friday after work. I didn't make my weekend timeline, but I had all the new stuff in besides the wiring harness that weekend. So last week I finished up the wiring and all of the engine bay stuff.

Started it up last Saturday....started first try :banana:.....but after the first minute or so it has been misfiring and idling really bad.

Had it running OK a few times for a few very short test drives....but it didn't do well. Just really annoying because the swap is done and runs, but I cant drive it.

Replaced lots of things so far, tightened every clamp, cleaned every ground....could still be so many things. Tried stuff every day this week with no luck. Still misfiring after it warms up and idling really rough the whole time. I hope to figure it out this weekend.

I have to thank you guys for all the help...95% of the info for the swap came from here and all the random questions I ask you guys. :D

Here's a few pictures of the swap and stuff, I didnt take that many....that's the last one I do on a gravel driveway with no air tools. :lol:

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)

Day 14 of trouble-shooting:

Been trying stuff EVERY day since start-up...

Today I tried a different silicone y-pipe that fits better and secured some other hoses with zip ties and clamps. Re-checked timing for the 1,000th time and it still hates me. :(
Still can't drive it....still misfires and hesitates/stumbles BAD.

It was idling soooo nice....then like clockwork as soon as the ecu re-learned everything and warmed up...BAM misfires.

I'm almost out of ideas....here's what I've replaced so far:

-MAF
-coolant temp sensor
-cam position sensor
-crank position sensor
-fuel filter
-all 4 injectors
-all 4 coil packs

Parts that were brand new when I dropped the engine in:

-spark plugs, NGK platinum
-front 02
-rear 02
-knock sensor
-pcv valve

Knock sensor is torqued correctly and in the right position. Confirmed the front 02 is getting 12v.

Re-checked all hoses tons of times...even tried the carb cleaner method and had no effect.

Checked and secured all grounds.

Losing. My. Mind.

----------

Anyways...here's a few other things from the swap weekend:

I removed the keyless entry unit....never plan on setting it up, and now the lights don't flash and stuff after I remove and re-connect the battery terminals! :banana: ....its a little weight reduction too:

Here's the down pipe and rear shot with the wrx exhaust. I will be ordering a turbo blanket here soon:

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)

Day 22:

Still haven't figured much out. I've been shooting ideas around with people and it's easier for me to keep all the things I've tried and replaced here, because I keep losing my lists. :lol:

-Cylinder 3 must foul the plug almost instantly. Smells mostly of fuel but is oily....
Before the leakdown test I threw in a new plug...but after it warmed up and I took the plug back out....it was already black.

-Did a compression test last week.
150-155 across all 4.

After it got to operating temp for the compression test, it threw codes for cylinder 3 and 4 misfires.....only those, and it didn't blink this time. Really confusing how the misfire codes are so random.

-Did a leakdown test today.

All 4 leaked at about the same rate....nothing pointing to a problem anywhere or specifically to cylinder 3.

....although.....there is an "air escaping" noise right where the tester screws into the spark plug hole on cylinders 1 & 3.....louder at cylinder 1....no noise on cylinder 2 & 4.

Cracked head is a new possibility.

-I put the interior on the back burner with the engine issues....the first 2 weeks I just had the cluster zip tied to the dash bar. :lol:

I will be mounting the fuel pump controller in the glovebox somehow. The normal location makes me nervous since it gets pretty warm.
...some of the days I was puzzled I spent putting the interior back together.
Got the airbags hooked back up and the main stuff in:

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
'01 SRP Impreza L | now WRX swapped | 2600 lbs | Daily driver

Finally figured out the issue last week. I exhausted every option and test I could try...I took it to the awesome dudes at AndrewTech and they were able to narrow it down to the ecu or map/tune. They put a scope on the wires and injector 3 was basically staying open twice as long.....making it super rich in that cylinder...making stuff go crazy like it was. So they threw in another ecu laying around with a stock map...and it ran perfect!! :banana:

So the tuner wrote a slightly different map, and it's running pretty good....boost and everything. :banana: Don't know if it was the tune, accessport error, or download error on my laptop....but oh well. I picked up a spare ecu yesterday just in case.

Driving impressions.....awesome. Just awesome.
I never owned a wrx/STi, or any turbo car for that matter...but this ej205 feels pretty quick to me. :D
I've been driving the ej22 in this car since I started driving, so it's quite the noticeable upgrade. Boosting in turns with no power steering is a handful.

The 06+ wrx clutch seems to be working fine in my older cable transmission. Still breaking in the clutch so I haven't done any WOT pulls, but the little td04 gives all the boost early so I've been getting a good feel for it....and the sound is too great. The exhaust is quiet like I wanted with the stock wrx catback....but between the downpipe and turbo inlet, I can hear the turbo very well.

-Friday I finally got my alignment and was super close to spec after installing the new steering rack on the new crossmember. One side was within spec, but the other out....pretty good for using a tape measure. ;)

-This weekend I worked on stopping the downpipe from rattling on the transmission crossmember. It was literally resting on it and banging around a lot.

I used a BFH to dent the crossmember and downpipe slightly, grinded some of the crossmember away, and re-adjusted the downpipe to get clearance. Should be fine for a while...pics are before and after:

-Heres a random picture of the new front end stuff:

-I mounted the fuel pump controller behind the glovebox. Not sure if it's my permanent location....it gets pretty hot and I'm unsure where I want it to be:

-Here is the rest of the keyless entry delete. If you unplug the whole harness for it like I showed in the last post, you only need to loop 2 wires for the power door locks to work.....red with green, and blue with white....they everything works like normal.

-I was forced to buy new battery tie down j-hooks. I also cleaned up the tie down and some other things in the bay. Also changed the oil again, just cause....and rotated the tires.

Gonna try to take it easy for a while....make sure it's all working and I installed everything right. Next things are a boost guage and wideband....also a turbo blanket very soon.

...and most importantly....getting back to more weight reduction!

·
Registered
EJ205 1996 Brighton coupe
663 Posts
This is a great build thread. Keep up the good work. I'm a big fan of the clean oem look, and the lightwieght approch. That's how you can usually tell it's a driver's car oppose to the typicale subaru swap, (low, lots of power, body kits/lips..)

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
2001 Impreza L | WRX swapped | lightweight daily driver project

Thanks!

I'll do lips/spats/side skirts later on....right now they would just get destroyed by the roads. The only exterior, body changes I'd like to do is the v1-v3 (I think) front bumper. I'll do that when I get the car resprayed eventually.
This bumper:

As far as the lightweight stuff goes....well it just got more difficult. :lol:
I weighed it yesterday for the first time since the swap, and I'm basically back at stock weight.

Pre-swap: 2640~
Post-swap: 2730~

I'm running out of stuff I can safely remove/lighten since it's a daily. There are some spendy options left...battery is happening soonish:

-lightweight battery --> 20-30 lbs
-lighter exhaust --> ??
-aluminum hood --> ??
-lighter seats --> ??

If I get that v1-3 bumper I'll need to change the front beam somehow...light bumper beams would help A LOT, but those make me nervous....I could cut my front one to keep some strength instead of the JDM one I guess.

Was shooting for 2500's....but now I'd just like to be back in the 2600's.

·
Registered
EJ205 1996 Brighton coupe
663 Posts
Thats my favorite bumper as well. I have a 01 2.5rs bumper right now, but still want a Ver 1-3.

I haven't wieghed my car, but i have no rear bumper beam, removed rear wheel well (replaced with a thin sheet of aluminum), half a 2.5rs front bumper, no rear seats, no interior trim (except a dash), no air bags, no sound insulation, manual windows, no cats or mufflers (that saves weight right?), a cheap used CF hood... I imagine the car is pretty light. It is 75% rally cross only, i rarely drive it on the street, i know i would be smoked if i got hit. my car stock was 2650 (96 brighton coupe).

Thanks!

I was never a huge fan of lips and skirts. The only exterior, body changes I'd like to do is the v1-v3 (I think) front bumper. I'll do that when I get the car resprayed eventually.
This bumper:

As far as the lightweight stuff goes....well it just got more difficult. :lol:
I weighed it yesterday for the first time since the swap, and I'm basically back at stock weight.

Pre-swap: 2640~
Post-swap: 2730~

I'm running out of stuff I can safely remove/lighten since it's a daily. There are some spendy options left...battery is happening soonish:

-lightweight battery --> 20-30 lbs
-lighter exhaust --> ??
-aluminum hood --> ??
-lighter seats --> ??

If I get that v1-3 bumper I'll need to change the front beam somehow...light bumper beams would help A LOT, but those make me nervous....I could cut my front one to keep some strength instead of the JDM one I guess.

Was shooting for 2500's....but now I'd just like to be back in the 2600's.

·
Impreza Actual
2001 RS-T
1,260 Posts
This is the same approach I had for my car! BTW, cutting the lower half of the front bumper beam is a much better idea. You lose a lot of weight, but it is WAY stronger than the JDM beam. Doing a rear JDM bumper dropped a tad bit of weight too.

If you get a V3/4 bumper you should also get the aluminum hood too! They a frickin sweet (and light).

Nice work!

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)

If you get a V3/4 bumper you should also get the aluminum hood too! They a frickin sweet (and light).

Yup, aluminum, or carbon paint matched.
Doing the hood, bumper beam, and battery would help a lot, especially since it's the front of the car where I need it.

I forgot about gas last time I weighed the car. It didn't change much but I always go with:
-1/4 tank of gas
-full size spare (16x7)
-scissor jack and tire iron
-full interior

Current weight: 2720...So the swap added 80 lbs, not closer to 100 like I thought. Still a lot of weight... -_-

Current stuff:
Just been enjoying driving it. Clutch is almost broken in so I can have more fun. Scheduled a pro tune for sometime soon. Depends when I need to get the accessport fixed:

I had no heat shields on the turbo or downpipe. This is my first attempt at a DIY turbo heatshield....I used rectangular reflectors from 277 lights that are the perfect size. I left the underside the same reflective silver color, and used high temp spray paint on the top....and aluminum strips for the brackets.
$14 total. Cheap and simple.

Before, the intercooler was too hot to rest a hand on after driving....now touching the side right by the turbo is hot, but can rest a hand on. Really surprised how much of a difference it made.

Another engine bay picture. I cleaned up some stuff and painted a few things, like the alternator cover. Also replaced the main fuse because I accidentally touched the alternator wire to ground.

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)

Not much to update. Got my coolant topped off today and have been just keeping an eye on everything. Finally past break in on the clutch, so last Tuesday I got a pro-tune at turboxs.

Jermaine did an awesome job....car feels smooth and holds boost better in higher rpm's....before the pro-tune, it felt like it ran out of breath too early....and I just wanted a nice, reliable tune. Gonna go back when I get my up pipe and other stuff.

I know numbers are just numbers, but it made around 220hp/260tq, with a downpipe and TGV deletes...still gotta get the plots though. Goals for weight and power are; lower 2600 lbs with around 300tq. Should make for a fun daily.

**rough estimates**
Stock L = 2730 lbs --- 100ish whp
Current = 2720 lbs --- 220hp/260tq
Goal = 2600 lbs --- 260hp/300tq

and a random picture from a gravel road the other day. I keep forgetting I have a set of steelies and oem wrx wheels I can use for gravel duty on the weekends....gonna try them out this week possibly:

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)

-The end of August marked 3 years since I've had the car, and just this past weekend I hit 160,000 miles....60,000 miles, 3 years, and 2 engines, but still so much to do...

-Anyway, the other day I noticed the e-clip for the wastegate actuator was kinda loose. I tried to crimp it tighter but it didn't work well. I ran out to get more clips and stuff and on the way it felt like I lost 1/2 the power all of a sudden. I was thinking something bad happened....but the actuator just popped off. :lol:

Now I keep a whole box of e-clips in the car, incase that **** ever happens again:

-Sunday I cleaned the interior and got it all back together for the first time since before the swap. I need a better mount for the accessport, and will be adding real gauges soon.
I also re-finished the connecting rod shifter a couple weeks ago....when the car was sitting for that month during the swap, the shifter started rusting.

-Today I did my take on the DIY grounding mod. I used red, stranded, 12g wire.....I can get wire from work so it was free and red 12 was all we had. I will be re-doing this later on with 10g black wire to hide it better.

My main focus was the grounds for the injectors/coils/ect for each side.

I started at the negative battery terminal, and ran a separate wire to each side of the intake manifold where the engine harness grounds already were. I wanted a straight shot to the battery for both of those. Then, since I knew the manifold is a really nice ground, I used another bolt hole and ran it to the driver's side strut tower.

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)

Ordered a mechanical boost/vac gauge tonight. The accessport shows me hitting 16-17 lbs. at times, so I'd like to see what the real PSI is. Hope to install that this weekend so I can send the accessport off to get fixed next week.

-I never liked the oem corner lights, but couldn't decide on amber or clear. I got curious and tinted my stock ones to amber...it took a bunch of coats to turn orange, but its a pretty close match.

I definitely like the amber look now, and will be picking up a set...but again let me mention how I dislike my front bumper. I wish I didn't black out the bottom, and have to change my fog light set-up...but hopefully I can respray this one to all red, or get the v3-v4 one soon.

-Had to replace the oil filler neck & o-ring. It was leaking a ton of oil, probably because the o-ring was hard as a rock! I wasn't sure if the neck was cracked (it wasn't) so I just bought the whole part from Subaru...it came with a new o-ring, and the little bracket too for only like $22. Pretty cheap for a dealership part.

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)

This weekend I installed a TurboSmart mechanical boost gauge. I should have just bought a real mount or something...but I took out one of the dash vents and put the gauge there.

I cut the HVAC tube to make room and blocked it off so the other side still flows nice. :D ...ran the wiring and tube in that plastic conduit stuff, and wired it to the same place as my LED's.

For boost it shows the same reading as the accessport...anywhere between 16-17 psi at full boost. Good to know the accessport is accurate for boost.

It reads -20 at idle, fully warmed up. Also good to know that I have proper vacuum at idle. (I think?)

Here's a few pictures of it finished...for now....moved the accessport too. I'd like to make a backing plate type thing to go behind the gauge. I also need white/ blue bulbs for the stock cluster to match the head unit and boost gauge.

Little bit of weight reduction from this weekend....random stuff....a 5 whole lbs. ;)
I removed the hunk of metal under the drivers side dash...and I have no clue why I had a steering wheel cover, so I took that off too. Hopefully I'm getting close to the 2600's again...

Passed inspection last week. PA is easy, so it was no issue with the swap and stuff...I'm fully catted anyway.

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #38 (Edited)

Haven't really done much lately except drive it. Just been keeping up with things and preparing for winter. Still running pretty good...I get anywhere from 22-25 MPG depending how I drive. Pulls nice and still hitting 16-17 lbs.

Changed oil on Saturday (11/1/14). I mention it so I can remember for once:

...random fall picture:

I lose a bit if oil between changes...but it's at random times. There was nothing in the TMIC or compressor outlet, and no leaks....so maybe the turbo...just gotta pull the DP and see but I'm lazy.

..when I get my up-pipe I'll probably just get rebuilt/new td04 too.

I finally installed the little gasket/plug I was missing for the cam position sensor....before it was just a wide open hole around the sensor and I didn't want water getting in:

I want to clean up the bay some. My plan:

-Relocate battery
-Move the bracket holding the BCS and 02 plugs.
-Simplify the spaghetti mess of EVAP hoses
-Hide Alternator wire (and others)

I made a cover for the BCS bracket because the oem WRX cover wouldn't work...that's why I'm just going to move it instead. I also mocked up the EVAP hose simplification on my spare manifold....it removes the circular valve and hoses, just leaving 2 hoses and the Fuel Vapor solenoid.

I started the battery relocation last week. This is my first attempt and I'm sure I'll re-do it later on. I'm running the wire in flexible conduit, and the battery behind the passenger seat in a box. So far I only have the box mounted and conduit mocked up.

I will be using 1 AWG THHN wire in Sealtite conduit and watertight connectors. I'm only running the POS up front....NEG will be grounded to a seat bolt. There will be a 200 amp breaker on the POS. There's a picture below comparing 1 AWG to different wire sizes I had from work.

I made a bracket to tie down the battery and bolted it right to the floor. I'm planning to re-use the normal j-hooks. The box is plastic, and doesn't support any of the battery's weight. It's only there to conceal the battery, wires, and breaker.

I'm going through the drivers side firewall, because I don't want to risk a leak over the ECU on the passenger side. Not much room to hide the conduit but it won't be too visible to anyone except the driver anyway.

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #40 (Edited)

^^thanks...but it seems I jinxed myself with the last update...and bad.

I have the p1443 code and can't figure out which solenoid is the correct one to look it/fix.

Can anyone tell me if it's the solenoid BESIDE the charcoal canister.....or ABOVE the charcoal canister!??

Also, this morning on the drive to work I noticed a ton of Feedback knock on the accessport. I almost turned around and went home because it was so bad.

It shows -4.x during any acceleration!! Even slowly getting up to speed shows knock the entire time until I let off the throttle. The DAM stays the same and there's no fine knock correction, so I'm not sure what's going on. Only CEL is that p1443.

So frustrating.

21 - 40 of 1028 Posts