Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

361 - 380 of 1031 Posts

·
Premium Member
2001 SRP 2.5RS/RA/SOHC Monster
2,740 Posts
HVAC units use the same bulb as the cluster. Buy a 10 pack of LEDs and everything will be fresh and bright.

·
Premium Member
2001 Subaru Impreza L coupe
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #363
Simple fix, maybe $2 at radio shack for each 2 pack of bulbs. I fixed all my HVAC and switches 2-3 years ago.

HVAC units use the same bulb as the cluster. Buy a 10 pack of LEDs and everything will be fresh and bright.

Hmm, maybe I'll stop at RadioShack tomorrow and grab a few. I always figured it was wiring related because my cluster has a loose connection that started around the same time....the lights between 6k and 8k on the tach go out sometimes, but if I tap the cluster they'll light up every time.

It seems unlikely all the hvac bulbs would go bad, but for $2 it can't hurt to try.

·
Premium Member
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #365
Got 2 things done/installed this weekend I've been wanting to do for a while:
-fog light covers
-EVAP delete

Found a set of the v1-4 covers and new oem brackets for a good price. Just wanted something there until I figure out what to do with those led's, or if I want to get normal circle fog lights....or maybe keep the covers and put the small LED's somewhere else....

Looks much better than no covers/no lights.

Got the last map I needed from the tuner to delete the EVAP. This car has been haunted by EVAP problems for years, so it's nice to finally simplify the system. It's caused so many drivability problems....especially with the wrx ecu.

I followed the link posted a few pages back. Very easy. Cap some hoses, vent some hoses, delete some codes.....about 10-11 codes total.

Don't pay attention to the rust back there. It'll all be taken care of in the spring. I'll address that next post.

I added a small aluminum "plate" to hold up the (now unused) EVAP wiring. I will also be extending the vent hose with the breather to sit on top this plate as well.

Reason for the plate, is there is nothing to secure the wiring and vent hose to back there. So the plate holds things up. It'll also help protect the breather a little.....don't want it getting clogged/blocked.

Heres the engine bay part of things. Really cleaned up the rats nest of hoses next to the alternator finally.

Also was able to remove 1 of the 3 fuel lines to the engine, since it's unused now. Looks really weird just seeing 2 hoses instead of 3. :lol:

And here's the whole mess of EVAP parts removed. I have a better picture on my computer that I'll put up later.

Bathroom scale says a consistent 10-11 lbs of junk removed. Not bad.

·
Premium Member
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #369
Thanks guys!

I'm just happy to be able to fill up gas like normal again. Ever since the car has been back on the road, I've had the issue where the pump keeps clicking off every few cents. I NEVER had that issue before the accident....so I'm pretty sure with the car sitting for a year something clogged one of the hoses.
....probably one of those asshole spiders. :lol:

So to get gas, I've had to crawl under the car....Yank a hose off the charcoal canister....Fill up....Then crawl back under to put the hose back on. Gets old quick.

Now I can finally just get out, fill up, and get back in. It's the little things.

·
Premium Member
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #370
Remembered I could finally get back to what I was doing before the accident. Mostly the rear disc conversion and just removing rust from the rear of the car. There's more rust since the car sat for a while, so it's not gonna be fun. Some won't happen until the spring, but the plan is:

-cut trunk floor
-cut rear bumper beam
-rear disc conversion
-new rear subframe
-new lateral links
-fix rear 1/4 rust
-fix other rust

So to start, I did some de-rusting. Was curious how well it would work in cold weather. I thought I read it had a negative effect, but it worked just like normal.

Here's the knuckle after about 6 hours. Still need to remove the Jesus bolt, backing plate, and hub to fully de rust and paint it....but it's nice to know I don't have to wait until spring.

Incase anyone didn't see how good the last knuckle turned out after a full de-rusting, here are the pictures. This was unpainted and basically right out of the tank.

I encourage anyone to try this for rusty parts, or any plain steel/iron stuff. Very easy, cheap, low effort, but great results.

I have some wiring/sensor/tuning stuff I'm doing very soon. Just waiting to get the rest of those hvac lights to pull all that stuff apart so I don't have to do it twice. RadioShack only had 1 pack of 2 and ALL the stores nearby were out.

Hopefully I can do it this weekend because I have a new sensor I want to try out.

So here's a few random pictures because why not.

·
Premium Member
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #373
I like seeing people do the electric acid bath

No acid, just water and washing soda. The solution is harmless, you can stick your hand right in. Unless that's what you meant.

I want to make a large enough tank for subframes and swaybars eventually.

I think I have ABS wiring if you need for the rears from a 01

Looks clean!

No ABS for me.

Or did you mean just cutting the sensor off to plug the abs holes? I know I have 1, just gotta find the other that came with the other knuckle.

·
Premium Member
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #375 (Edited)
2001 Impreza L | WRX swapped daily | Damage repairs and weight reduction!

I meant to replace, but I feel ya on the delete

Got the factory abs delete. ;) Base model ftw

-------

I'm just about ready to blow this thing up. Well hopefully not, but self tuning starts soon.

This weekend I wired up the logging part of the wideband. Just had the laptop there to make sure all the cords reach and could plug in. A PS3 controller cord was the perfect length to reach from my accessport to laptop.

The main reason I want to do this is so I can have access of my own ECU. Having to email the tuner and wait a month for a response is getting really ****ing old. This is also a good time to learn since it's still a relatively stock ej205....factory airbox, factory injectors, td04.

Serial port wiring:

Looking back, I'm sure there's a much easier and better way to do this. I just wanted to be able to plug the cord into the dash, instead of keeping it wired and tucked away or something. The serial to USB adapter cord I have is long and bulky.

Once I know it all works, I want to make it look a little nicer and redo the wideband wiring behind the dash. Also want to add a switch next to it for green test mode connectors.

Also, HVAC lights are fixed!
.....because I stole the bulbs from the sedan. :lol:

After 2 weeks of looking for and eventually buying the wrong bulbs, I wanted to be sure the problem was the bulbs before I did anything else. Just have to replace them in the sedan now, so I'll get a bunch of extras at a pick n pull soon.

Picked up a cheap dash cam because people are idiots. It's small and has a battery so doesn't always need a cord. This way I can use it in both cars easily. I'll get a better one eventually, but this will serve its purpose for now.

·
Premium Member
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #378
2001 Impreza L | WRX swapped daily | Damage repairs and weight reduction!

HVAC uses the same bulbs as the cluster, or they at least work. 158s are what you need.

Amazon.com: SYLVANIA 158 Basic Miniature Bulb, (Contains 10 Bulbs): Automotive

Good to know. My cluster has a funky spot I need to check too.

I still want to grab a bunch from a pick n pull, if nothing else to stock up on those little green caps. The old ones from were cracked and falling apart from the years/heat.

And yes, Base FTW. I have a 95 Coupe Base and now a 95 Sedan L with no ABS.

Now I just need an L wagon to complete my collection.

·
Premium Member
2001 SRP 2.5RS/RA/SOHC Monster
2,740 Posts
Good to know. My cluster has a funky spot I need to check too.

I still want to grab a bunch from a pick n pull, if nothing else to stock up on those little green caps. The old ones from were cracked and falling apart from the years/heat.

Now I just need an L wagon to complete my collection.
Personally I went through and replaced all the cluster and Hvac lights with new green LEDs. There are two larger bulbs in the cluster as well. Only downside to the green LEDs is that they do not illuminate the redline very well at all.

This is full brightness I believe.

361 - 380 of 1031 Posts