Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

341 - 360 of 1024 Posts

·
Premium Member
2001 Subaru Impreza L coupe
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #341
Weighed the coupe after work yesterday. The scale only goes by 20's so it's not super accurate, but it's free to use. Was hoping it would be lower, but oh well. I always used to go with a 1/4 tank of gas, but am doing a 1/2 tank now.

So:
-1/2 tank of gas
-full size spare wheel in trunk
-full interior

Current: 2700
(2680 with 1/4 tank of gas)

Previous: 2740
(2720 with 1/4 tank of gas)

So, total weight removed during my repairs was about 35-40 lbs. Even though it wasn't as much as I hoped, all of it was off the front end. So that's kinda cool:

-Aluminum hood
-USDM front bumper beam cut in half
-removed battery tray, washer fluid holder, horn bracket
-some other metal and brackets

More numbers for reference (1/4 tank):

2730 --> factory curb weight
2590 --> lowest, no spare wheel
2630 --> Pre turbo swap weight
2720 --> Post turbo swap weight
2680 --> Current (2700, with 1/2)

Eventually I'd like to be in the 2500's. There's plenty of stuff left to remove, so it shouldn't be a problem. Also want to get on a real scale soon to see the weight distribution.

....and because I can't resist a picture with both cars together:

·
Registered
Bluebird
691 Posts
For me, getting into the 2500's was a bit challenging- I gutted the car. I can still do a carbon fiber hood and light-weight battery to try and shed some more.

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #344
Find an alignment shop to use their scales?
Do alignment racks have a scale?

I called around a bunch of local shops the other week and asked if they can weigh cars, but no one said they could. All those places have alignment racks though...

They all recommended me going to the same place I currently go.....a gravel/stone sales building with a large scale. The closest place with a real scale is probably IAG, but that's a 1 hour drive just to weigh the car. The gravel place is only 10 minutes from my house.

I wonder if the highway truck scales are any more accurate than 20 lbs at a time. Probably not.

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #346 (Edited)
Ahh ok makes sense. Ones that do corner balancing should, but sounds like IAG is a good spot.
That's true. I'll have to call some places again to see if they do corner balancing, and if they would be willing to weigh the car.

For me, getting into the 2500's was a bit challenging- I gutted the car. I can still do a carbon fiber hood and light-weight battery to try and shed some more.
Yea, once it gets into the lower 2600's I'll start running out of stuff, but should be possible. Maybe mid-upper 2500's.

I'm thinking:
-cut more off front bumper beam (5)
-cut rear bumper beam in half (10)
-cut trunk floor, and trunk area (10)
-lighter battery (10)
-interior stuff (10-20)
-remove unused wiring (5)
-delete some evap (5-10)
-other little things (5-10)

That'll get me close to 2600 depending on how much gas....and maybe by then, I can do some tube stuff and afford some carbon pieces.

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #348 (Edited)
Ok so....who knows stuff about properly deleting EVAP?

Can't find much info on how to make it all work. Getting rid of the codes isn't my concern....just making sure the gas tank still vents correctly and stuff.

Haven't gotten **** done lately because of some annoying EVAP problems. Some are new, and some are re-occurring from years ago that recently popped back up. I just want to simplify the whole stupid EVAP system and be done with this nonsense.

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #350
....woah. That helped a lot! Haven't seen that thread before and I've searched many times about EVAP delete stuff. Thanks for the link.

Only questions now are specific things for the 93-01 Impreza charcoal canister stuff, since the GD wrx/sti stuff is a bit different. Very similar, but looks different based on pictures.

Although, thinking about it again, I'd bet once the charcoal canister and valves/solenoids are removed, the same 3 hoses/ports would remain on both the 93-01 and GD turbo cars:
-1 from gas tank: Vent
-1 from engine bay EVAP line: Cap
-1 from fuel filler: Vent

Maybe this is easier than I thought?

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #352
Not much to update, haven't driven it much in the past 3 weeks. Have some stuff to install, but the car is pretty much dead in the water until I can get a CEL disabled.

I can't access the map myself, even with accesstuner....and my tuner is unresponsive/busy. He said he would disable the code twice now, but hasn't gotten back to me.

So idk what to do. Literally can't drive the car with this CEL on. Makes the ECU freak out and think it's knocking all the time. Really annoying....I just want to drive the damn thing.

/rant.
Here's a random picture from the ice last weekend because I'll atleast bring a picture:

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #354
Got the map from the tuner to finally turn off of my p1443 code. Been battling that code on and off for years, and never figured it out. Thankfully I'm deleting the EVAP soon so I don't need to actually fix it anymore.

Once I get the second map with the remaining 9-10 codes disabled, I can fully delete the EVAP and hopefully be free from these annoying EVAP problems forever.

So I was able to put some miles on it this weekend. Just nice to drive the thing.

Then....literally 1 day after.....the new '98 sedan popped the same stupid EVAP code.
P1443

After years of that code on the red coupe I finally get rid of it.....then the new car gets the same code (with 100,000 less miles).

I hate EVAP.

Besides that I started on a bit of cooling related stuff. Hopefully to reduce intake temps/heat soak a little:

-turbo blanket
-more exhaust wrap
-reflective heat tape
-cut TMIC shroud

Decided against my plan for heat shields on the exhaust and turbo. Blanket and wrap is lighter and no annoying rattles. Just need to get more wrap for the rest of the manifold.

Also still need to put the tape on the underside of the TMIC and turbo->tmic y-pipe. Couldn't find my intercooler BPV gasket, so I didn't pull the TMIC.

Cut up the JDM hood scoop shroud to fit the USDM TMIC a little better. Still need to trim the scoop a little. Should finish that this week. Just need a longer rubber seal to use since the old one is too short now.

The pictures of the TMIC with green colored in, are showing before and after of the shroud's opening. Definitely more surface area. I'll get more pictures once it's finished:

I've also been reading up a lot on tuning. It would make things easier/faster to be able to delete codes and make changes myself. I finally transferred my old copy of AccessTuner and AP stuff to my new laptop, so I can get familiar with everything.

Still have lots of reading to do before I actually try it on the car. I did order a wideband to hook up in the mean time.

(Pictured is a OTS Map that I was comparing to a factory map)

·
Registered
Turbo, LS swapped Impreza RS
5,169 Posts
When I was tuning my car, I found the nasioc stickies to be very helpful getting a map together.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #357 (Edited)
2001 Impreza L | WRX swapped daily | Damage repairs and weight reduction!

Very nice!

My 09 FTX with only 60k has that same code, been fighting it as well
I was surprised to get it at 80k in the sedan, but 60k is pretty low. That sucks.

It definitely adds more confusion to the issue. I always figured my coupe (177k) had the code as a result of rust and mileage....the charcoal canister and solenoid stuff is a corroded mess. but seeing it on cars with no rust and lower mileage, opens up more possibilities of what it could be.

When I was tuning my car, I found the nasioc stickies to be very helpful getting a map together.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I'll have to go back and read through those stickies again. I have a bunch of other stuff bookmarked or saved as a PDF onto my phone too. So much to read up on.

It's starting to make sense though. I tried reading up on this in the past and gave up.....but, by now I've been staring at live monitors on my accessport for long enough to be familiar with some of this stuff. :lol:

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #359 (Edited)
2001 Impreza L | WRX swapped daily | Damage repairs and weight reduction!

Finally got a little snow last week. Been almost 2 years (winter 2015) since I've driven this car in the snow. Forgot how nice snow tires are...last year I had all-seasons on the LGT and it sucked.

Besides the snow, I've just been driving it. It's pretty much back to daily duties....kinda.....I usually split the M-F driving between the sedan and coupe, and drive the coupe all weekend.

Had to put the hood vent backing plates back on. WAAAYYYY too much water (or snow) gets in without them. Especially with the MAF being directly under the passenger side vent.

Perfect example.....a pile of snow on the MAF when I opened the hood:

-This weekend I installed that wideband. Doesn't really match the other gauge but oh well. I'll probably paint outer edge of the boost gauge (left one) to match the AFR gauge. I actually have the matching AEM boost gauge that someone gave me...but I won't use it because I don't like digital boost gauges.

Still need to wire up the logging part of things, but I just wanted to get it working for now.

Yes, I know my hvac lights don't work.

-Then I re did the engine to chassis grounds. Used some scrap 8 awg wire I had, and bought 1 pack of crimps for a total of $4. I would never waste money to buy a grounding kit online.

Before I only had one jumper from the driver's side side head to the frame rail. It was 2, 12 awg wires together......now, I have 2, 8 awg wires together going to the drivers and passenger side frame rails.

12 awg vs 8 awg

Finished the TMIC shroud for now. I'll have to cut more when I get a larger intercooler (sti maybe?). Will probably re-do the rubber gasket again to make it fit even better. I used some random garage door rubber seal from Home Depot...almost the same shape as the oem seal.

Just looking through the scoop you can see much more intercooler exposed. It's hard to get good pictures showing this, but you get the idea:

Before vs. after

Removed the TMIC to finish taping the y-pipe. Ran out of gold tape, but found some silver heat tape nearby, so I used that to finish.

Looks ugly, but it's underneath and can't see any of it from up top:

Good thing I removed the TMIC, because once again I noticed something that could've failed if left alone.

The one heater core hose was smashed between the TMIC and pitch stop. So I got another hose and re-routed it around the other side. Hopefully it won't contact anything else.

Before Vs After

....and, a random engine bay shot to finish this long post:

341 - 360 of 1024 Posts