Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

301 - 320 of 1017 Posts

·
Premium Member
2001 Subaru Impreza L coupe
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #301
*Crossing testicrats Michigan never requires inspection*
Yea inspections are annoying. Very jealous of states that don't have them. Although it's pretty easy to pass, atleast where I usually go.

What's annoying for a totaled car, is that I have to get the "enhanced inspection" for $150, then immediately go get a normal yearly inspection. So basically have to get 2 inspections back to back.

Pigtail probably isn't the correct term. I meant the wires coming from the ecu but you already know that lol.

Ah yea, the EGT wires coming from the ecu are barely visible. It's kinda tucked down behind the airbox under the 02 sensor connector.

Eventually I'll strip all the harnesses and get rid of all the unused wires/connectors but that's a project for another time.

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #302 (Edited)
Airbags are in, no dash lights, all exterior lighting works, and the interior is back together for the first time in a year. Just about ready for inspection.

Found another little black widow on the car yesterday. Pretty sure this is a "northern widow". It has red dots instead of the typical red hourglass shape.....but still a black widow.

I really, really, hope they all freeze and die over winter. Although this one died with fire. :lol:

Airbag stuff:
Replaced the module, pass side sensor, pass side wiring, and both bags. There's no airbag light anymore, so I'm hoping that means I replaced everything I needed to.

Did NOT need to replace my clockspring. More on that below.

Also gave the interior a quick clean.

Nice to see the cluster lit up with no warning lights, cel's, airbag light. Also confirmed all the lights are working.....maybe even took it for a quick nighttime drive.....

Clockspring shenanigans:

Basically, I'm an idiot. I always read that the clockspring goes bad when the airbag goes off, and I never bothered to test mine.

So I bought a couple used ones and took everything apart to get my old one out. Couldn't use the 2 I bought, so I checked continuity on my old one for shits and giggles.

Surprisingly, continuity was good, and the insides were still intact because I could spin it and feel the resistance. Put it all back together with the new airbag and everything worked....horn, blinker stuff, airbag.

Really weird but atleast it works.

The 2 I bought and my old one, were all slightly different. I should've checked mine to see how many wires total, and how it bolted up. Completely my fault.

The back where they fit into the column were all kinda different, and the wiring on each were different. You can see the slight differences below.

Since I didn't need those 2, I sacrificed one to see how it worked inside. Pretty simple and boring really.....just a long ribbon connector spun up inside. For some reason I thought it would be more complicated.

·
Premium Member
96 Impreza Coupe
1,576 Posts
^Once you open the box the ribbon will never go back in the way it came out... Its coiled up a certain way to allow it to spin both ways. Its kinda like trying to put a space blanket back in its original bag. :lol:

The car is looking really good! i'm sure it was nice to take it for a drive! I've been missing my car pretty bad recently.

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #305 (Edited)
well damn. i thought they were a lot more ingenious than that.
Yea, I don't know what I was expecting, but definitely thought there would be more to it.

^Once you open the box the ribbon will never go back in the way it came out... Its coiled up a certain way to allow it to spin both ways. Its kinda like trying to put a space blanket back in its original bag. :lol:

The car is looking really good! i'm sure it was nice to take it for a drive! I've been missing my car pretty bad recently.
There's definitely no getting that ribbon back inside correctly....I tried for a second and realized it wasn't gonna happen. :lol: Sacrificed for curiousity.

Yea it's really nice to be sitting behind the wheel, with full interior, no dash lights, and driving.....almost like nothing ever happened. Can't wait to have it tagged and legal to drive again. I don't really miss the Legacy, but man did I miss the Impreza.

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #307
What model are those from
The 2 I bought were both thought to be from a 97 Impreza, but since they were both different I'm not sure.

One is for a 3 wire airbag system, and the other is a 2 wire airbag system.
Both of those had 6 wires total.

My 2001 clockspring has 5 wires total, with a 2 wire airbag system. So I'm not sure. :lol:

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #311
I know someone who may need one for his 95. I have a 01 Rs one but I don't think it will work per your posts.
PM'd ya

I could pull my 00RS one out and see if it's different as well :lol:
I'd bet it would bolt up and fit correctly, but I wonder if it has an extra wire or not. Usually the RS has more wires for things than my base model. :lol:

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #312
Legacy update. The headache continues.

My thoughts were confirmed that the belt guide above the crank was rubbing the belt. They changed the belt and covered labor costs, but tried to make me pay $160 for the belt. It's not really the cost that bothers me, it's the principle:

They were the last to touch the belt.
They didn't adjust the belt guide.
The belt was damaged.
They should take responsibility.
Simple.

...Wait, there's more!

Once I got it home, I opened the hood to look it over and make sure they didn't **** anything else up.....and I see blue paint marks all over the bolts. Which is typical so they can see if I mess with the car or not.

....but I noticed the plastic fasteners holding the airbox fresh air thing were also painted blue....then I noticed there was an extra fastener holding it down....then I realized it was metal.....

It's a ****ing rivet! They riveted it right to the core support. Obviously I can easily drill it out, but still.....why the hell would you do that to a customers car?

Permanently attach, and modify a part that's frequently removed for maintenance? Just stupid.

Then, on top of all that....they didn't fill the coolant. I could hear bubbling in the heater core, the overflow was bone dry, and the upper reservoir was almost empty.

Maybe if they took less time painting bolts blue, they could properly burp the coolant.

I may be overreacting but idk.....would you guys be angry about this?

·
Premium Member
1999 RBP RS
1,124 Posts
Definitely not overreacting.. Hell if anything you're friggin zin right now! I'd be losing it and climbing my way up their management chain to make sure whoever is signing the paychecks knows their techs are butchering warranted work

·
Registered
Turbo, LS swapped Impreza RS
5,166 Posts
I wouldn't have even took the car home without laying into them. I'd make sure social media got ahold of how terrible there work quality is.

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #315
Definitely not overreacting.. Hell if anything you're friggin zin right now! I'd be losing it and climbing my way up their management chain to make sure whoever is signing the paychecks knows their techs are butchering warranted work
It's a small shop/used car lot. Probably 5-6 workers total. The owner is who gave me the bill yesterday and was talking to me. He sides with his workers and won't listen to me.

I'll be calling and/or driving back there today though....

I wouldn't have even took the car home without laying into them. I'd make sure social media got ahold of how terrible there work quality is.
Unfortunately I didn't notice until I got home. I was too angry after talking to the owner yesterday that I forgot to check the car before I left. By the time I got home and noticed it they were closed.

Gonna call on my lunch break and see what dumbass excuse they have for riveting something to the car.

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #317 (Edited)
Well....the inspection stuff was a massive headache. The car/repairs passed no problem, it was the paperwork and state legal stuff that was the issue. I'll leave it at that.

....but, it's finally legal again. :banana:

It has a non-salvage title.
It has insurance.
It has registration.
It has up to date inspection stickers
....and it has tags!

- Had an alignment done at the same time. The fact that it can still be aligned is a good sign. I still need to re-check all the suspension on that corner to be sure nothing else is bent, so we'll see.

- Passenger fender liners are also back in place. That was before the inspection though.

The lower one has to be cut to avoid melting on the turbo header. Learned that lesson a while ago :lol:

- So this weekend I've just been putting some miles on it, fixing rattles, and making sure everything is ok. Got about 200 miles on it so far. I want to go through a couple tanks of gas to make sure everything is still working right.

Had to put the old 6 spokes back on for now, because the other wheels need new tires. Found a huge slice in one of the tires from the accident. Don't know how it has held air for over a year.

Gonna order some tires on Monday.

- And a random picture I took while driving around.

301 - 320 of 1017 Posts