Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

281 - 300 of 1024 Posts

·
Premium Member
2001 Subaru Impreza L coupe
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #282
Would've finally had the engine back in last weekend, but another order was messed up. Just received a part yesterday, that was supposed to be here before last weekend. Priority shipping is a joke. More on the Impreza soon....

(So I can remember this time)
Legacy GT oil change = 97,900

Anyway, got a quick question about the Legacy GT:
Would you guys agree or not agree that this is abnormal timing belt wear? :lol: Maybe from a belt guide?

I searched all around different forums and every thread about timing belt wear had no pictures. So I couldn't compare it to anything.

You can feel the groove that's worn into the belt. Its not just a surface mark, it's pretty deep. That's only 6,000 miles or so. Another 5,000-10,000 and bad things might happen.

That's the direct result of idiots doing warranty work when I first had the car.

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #285
Wow I'm terrible at responding.

time to take it back..
damn, I hate warranty work. I might see if they'll just buy me the new belt so I can do it myself. Who knows what they'll mess up this time.

I finally found a picture of a belt that looks exactly like mine....and theirs was rubbing the belt guide above the crank. So I bet the warranty people didn't space the guide correctly.

Good catch
The only reason I noticed, was because I spilled oil all over the timing cover and took it off to make sure none of it seeped down onto the belt.

Being too lazy to grab a funnel might've saved the engine. :lol:

-------

So besides the one part that held me up last weekend...99% of my parts are here. Got a bunch of random OEM parts.

Only things left are some clamps and hose for the heater core.

And just like I thought, the dipstick tubes are exactly the same for the old 2.0 pan and my new 2.5 pan. So much confusion and misinformation on the STi oil pan parts out there.

·
Baby❤Daddy
98L Wagon
27,852 Posts
damn. that reminds me.. my engine never had a guide on it as it came from a 4eat car. when i did all my seals on the front i found my old guide from my original engine and tossed it on. need to make sure its not doing the same thing.

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #287
damn. that reminds me.. my engine never had a guide on it as it came from a 4eat car. when i did all my seals on the front i found my old guide from my original engine and tossed it on. need to make sure its not doing the same thing.
Yea I went and checked the Impreza's timing belt immediately after I read about the belt guide stuff. It's been a couple years since I did the belt and its the only DOHC belt I've done. Still smooth as it was brand new. :banana:

No idea what the warranty people did to the Legacy's belt guide. The gates kit comes with a guide spacer and that's what I used for the Impreza.

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #288
- Long weekend. After about 20 trips out for random parts/materials, buttoning up lots of odds and ends, and quadruple checking everything......the engine finally found its way back home.

That's the last time I install an engine outside at night. Trying to line everything up while holding a flashlight was less than enjoyable.

- Clutch back on:

- To avoid the CEL for no EGT sensor on the new uppipe I just did the resistor mod thing. Very easy to do....just push it into the pins and tape it up so it stays in place.

2.2k ohm, 1/2 watt

- Got it running late Sunday. No CEL's.
:banana:

Didn't drive it yet, just moved it back a forth in the driveway. Gonna check over everything again, and just let it run and idle some more.

- And here's a quick picture of the bay. Still need to neaten up the hoses and wiring, and the whole bay is dirty from the install. I'll get more soon.

All the yellow caps seem really noticeable now :lol:

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #293 (Edited)
Thanks everyone! It's a relief to finally have the engine out of the house and being able to move the car around. Just gotta do the airbags and some other little stuff, and it'll be inspection time.

---

As far as the Legacy's timing belt, I just actually called the idiots today. They offered to pay for towing, but I bet they'll take their good old time fixing it. I'd like to have an answer by the end of the week, but we'll see. This is the 4th time I've had to go back to fix their warranty work.....getting really old.

I was gonna take the pulley and center cover off myself to confirm the guide rubbing the timing belt, but they told me not to touch or drive it.

I just hate having people working on my cars, even if it's warranty stuff. Gives me anxiety. I'd almost rather eat the cost of the repairs and fix it myself.

·
Registered
Turbo, LS swapped Impreza RS
5,166 Posts
The bay looks primo! Why didn't you just have the code tuned out and depin the egt pigtail?

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #296
The bay looks primo! Why didn't you just have the code tuned out and depin the egt pigtail?
I'll get it tuned out eventually. I didn't think about calling my tuner until it was already the weekend, and since I got it running Sunday I knew nobody would be around.....but RadioShack was open to buy resistors. :lol:

I also have the accesstuner program thing from Cobb that I never use.

And not sure what you mean by "EGT pigtail". The new uppipe doesn't have a spot for the sensor, so there's no wires coming off it....so the only other wires are the ones coming from the ecu, and I'm much too lazy to untape all the wiring and pull it through the firewall.

·
Registered
Bluebird
690 Posts
I dig your outside work area, and nice work with everything. Maybe the collision was a blessing in disguise, sort of like accidentally spilling oil on your leggy's timing cover!

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #298
Maybe the collision was a blessing in disguise, sort of like accidentally spilling oil on your leggy's timing cover!
Yea, it kinda was. It felt like a year long step backwards, but at the same time it allowed easier access to do a bunch of things.....beefy fork, oil pan stuff, cleaning up the bay, ect. It also allowed me to justify spending the money on a lightweight hood since I needed a new one regardless.

....and it kept a year's worth of miles off the car/engine...probably 10,000-15,000 miles.

However, it did delay the much needed upgrade to rear discs, and the 1/4 panel rust got worse with the car sitting for a year. Those are the next 2 big things on my list.....but for now, I just want to enjoy driving it for a few months before I go tearing it apart for more projects.

-------

One small thing to add.

I drove it yesterday for the first time since April. :banana:

It was only a couple trips down the lane I live on, but still....it was nice to get it moving and shift through a couple gears. Having a lane is really helpful since the car is beyond illegal to drive at this point....2015 inspection, no tags, no insurance, no airbags, ect. :lol:

Sorry for the iPhone pic:

·
Registered
Turbo, LS swapped Impreza RS
5,166 Posts
I'll get it tuned out eventually. I didn't think about calling my tuner until it was already the weekend, and since I got it running Sunday I knew nobody would be around.....but RadioShack was open to buy resistors. :lol:

I also have the accesstuner program thing from Cobb that I never use.

And not sure what you mean by "EGT pigtail". The new uppipe doesn't have a spot for the sensor, so there's no wires coming off it....so the only other wires are the ones coming from the ecu, and I'm much too lazy to untape all the wiring and pull it through the firewall.
Pigtail probably isn't the correct term. I meant the wires coming from the ecu but you already know that lol.

281 - 300 of 1024 Posts