Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

221 - 240 of 1028 Posts

·
Premium Member
2001 Subaru Impreza L coupe
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #222 (Edited)
Good thinking on the copper heat sink. You were right about the holes being every so slightly big to fill.
Yea I think for the last 2 panels I'll drill 1/4" holes, or maybe something slightly smaller. Should be way easier to fill in.

Weld doesn't stick to copper
I think that was the point.
Yup doesn't stick. Makes it hard to blow holes through the steel, which helps a lot because I'm not very consistent on thin stuff yet. :lol:

-------

Quick Legacy GT update:

This car still hates me. Its not running lean anymore....I got the fuel trims much better, but there's still tons of FKLC. So I try to stay out of boost/high rpm's.

Then today, the turbo coolant hose decided it wanted to randomly tear and leak everywhere....so I had to make a parking lot repair with 1/2" hose to get myself home. The clamps in the middle are to stop it from kinking.

Anyway, back to the main headache...
Still haven't welded the last 2 panels yet. The past couple weeks has been full of random thunderstorms and it's been impossible to start anything outside.

So I've been giving the engine some attention. While its out there's some maintenance/fixing I've been doing, and I've also decided to squeeze in a couple extra things. Gonna order the parts soon, but here's what I'm planning:

-Catless up pipe
-New crosspipe (with my de-rusted manifold)
-KillerB oil pick up
-STi oil pan, baffle, dipstick

One thing I needed to do was replace a few studs on the turbo. When I pulled the engine last time, 2 of the studs for the downpipe broke.
.....they're pretty stuck
.....and I'm pretty lazy

so I might just get one of my td04's rebuilt and basically have a new turbo. Not sure yet. Gonna try to get them out again tomorrow.

Also got some of the last wiring/airbag stuff for the car. I think the only thing I still need is a clockspring.

$20 at the pick-n-pull:

Pretty much finished all the annoying measuring and adjusting. Ready to get the last 2 panels permanently attached and put the front end back together for good. This whole thing is just taking too damn long.

Hopefully the weather cooperates this weekend.

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #227
Made some decent progress this weekend, more on that soon......but first I just wanted to share something I found on the car yesterday. :lol:

So I've been fighting off animals/bugs ever since the car has been sitting. In particular, the damaged corner had a new spider web every day. Even with all the taking things off, painting, welding, ect.....a new web was always there.

I could never find the actual spider.....but I found the 100's of babies it had! I'm hoping I killed them all....or else the car will be infested. I'm going to bug bomb the car VERY soon. :lol:

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #233
NOPE....just nope.

Would not be touching that car ever again...

Burn it. now.
that was my first thought, "damn, after all this now I have to burn the car down." :lol:

I hate spiders. I'd rather it be a giant bees nest, or even a bunch of snakes.

Cute little babies!
maybe devil babies

:lol: :lol:

(Brake Cleaner + Lighter)
I have a can of brake cleaner sitting around just to kill spiders with. :lol:

...but they were set on fire about 3 seconds after I took the pictures. With the fender liners out and no undercoating yet, there's not much to accidently burn.

Yea my cars all have brown widows taking over. I like to squish them
I prefer fire, but not the smell of burning spider.

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #234 (Edited)
Wildlife problems aside....I finally got the headlight panel welded in, which pretty much wraps up the main damage repairs. It's been raining all the time again, so I set up 2 canopy's to work in the rain. Forgot to get pictures of the panel, but it's the one circled below:

I'm considering leaving the upper tie bar bolted in, not welded in. For many reasons. If I do, I might also drill the 2-3 welds for the vertical hood latch bar and have them both bolted in.

They are highlighted in red below. Both are so flimsy that they don't add much of any stiffness or protection to the front end, but still not sure yet.

So here's the exterior about 95% fixed (besides paint).

Theres still some adjusting to do, but the gaps are really close now. I rattle-canned the new fender to see the whole car atleast a shade of red. Definitely not a perfect match, but it's sooo nice to see all the panels red with no damage again.

Full paint, fog covers, and other stuff will come later.

Finally sending the Impreza's Accessport off to be fixed. The screen has been cracked for almost 2 years now.

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #237
Any votes for a different color than red for the engine bay? I just can't decide on a color. Might do the underside of the hood the same color as the bay too...not sure.

If I stay with red it won't be actual Sedona Red pearl, because it's waaaayyy to expensive and much harder to get. ONE rattle can of real SRP costs $50 at the local paint store. So it would be some other shade of red.

Not sure if I would want it a darker red, or brighter either.

But maybe black? Or gunmetal? White would get too dirty...

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #240
Dark metallic gray with Sedona flake
It's just gonna be out of an aerosol can. So no mixing flakes and stuff.

Really considering the dark metallic gray/gunmetal though. Black is too dark, and my gutted trunk is already a gunmetal-ish color, so it'll match.

Hmm $20 a can isn't too bad. I wish I saw that before....the auto paint mixing stores near me all wanted atleast $40 a can.

I was just trying to do this today and tomorrow, so ordering paint will delay things another week. Not looking for a perfectly painted bay....just want to get it painted finally so I can start putting everything back together.

221 - 240 of 1028 Posts