Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

201 - 220 of 1018 Posts

·
Premium Member
2001 Subaru Impreza L coupe
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #202 (Edited)
2001 Impreza L | WRX swapped daily | Damage repairs and weight reduction!

Started off the weekend by taking it all back apart, then back together. Basically all ready to weld up now!

Well first I ran some sheet metal screws into the core support panels, then took it apart.

Needed to take off the wheel tub to drill the holes for my plug welds. 41 holes for this piece.....which ends up being a total of 50-55 welds for that panel alone.

Only focusing on the wheel tub because it's the largest of the 3 pieces to weld in....the other 2 will be very quick and easy.

I was nervous about taking everything back off. I figured I'd be fighting to get all the exterior parts aligned again....but the screws held the alignment just how it was.

Back together for now.

Rare shot of both cars together. Maybe one day they'll both be running at the same time, ha

I'm hoping to weld it in this upcoming weekend or the next. Still need to remove the wheel tub the day before welding to get everything down to bare metal.

Just finishing up some final measurements and adjustments until then.

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #203 (Edited)

No real progress on the car itself last weekend......but I've been doing more de-rusting shenanigans!

-> Flywheel cover thing

Turned out great. No pictures right after it was pulled from the tank.....but I basically just dried it off, and sprayed it.

No sanding down, or any effort.

-> Started de-rusting my spare WRX exhaust manifold

Was curious how this would turn out. Seems to work great so far. One side is finished, and the other needed to be flipped and dunked again....so I'm letting it run today while I'm at work.

Again, I just took it out, lightly brushed if, dried it off, and sprayed with high temp paint. Pretty much no effort.

If you want a nice smooth finish you would need to really grind it down, sandblast it, or something....but I think this turned out well for no sanding/grinding at all.

-Second picture is right after it was pulled from the tank and brushed off
-Third picture is after painting

-> Also might have figured out a plan for de-rusting bolts. The end plan here is to eventually try zinc coating with my tank. Then I can have all the nice factory looking bolts I want.

My first idea didn't work too well, because it's hard to get a good electrical connection with multiple bolts, without covering too much of the bolt.

Still have to drill and tap the rest of the holes, and make a second one, but I think this will work much better.

Setting it up for 10, 12, and 14mm bolts.

·
Registered
2000 OBSTi
500 Posts
I ordered through a local dealership's website, and did a local pick up. Paid right around $500 total. That included free shipping from a dealership in Portland Oregon, to a dealership in Maryland. If I wanted it sent to my house it would've been shipped freight for $$$$$.

Part number: 57220FA130
I dont think there is a chance that a socal dealer is going to sell it at that kind of price (pretty sure none of them have a discounted website). I generally order all my OEM stuff that way from a dealer in WA, but my contact there already advised me against getting the hood from him.

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #206 (Edited)

I dont think there is a chance that a socal dealer is going to sell it at that kind of price (pretty sure none of them have a discounted website). I generally order all my OEM stuff that way from a dealer in WA, but my contact there already advised me against getting the hood from him.

Yea not really sure about California dealerships. I live in Pennsylvania but order everything through Maryland dealerships, then do a local pick up. That pretty lame if no socal dealers have discounted websites.

The "local pick up" option for shipping saves a lot of money. The discounted website helps a TON, and combined with the local pick up makes prices pretty good sometimes.

·
Registered
Turbo, LS swapped Impreza RS
5,166 Posts
Damn, that derusting completely rejuvenated that manifold. Makes me want to get a car sized bath lol.

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #209 (Edited)

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #212

rent commercial trash container. do work. give it back. :D
They might appreciate it coming back rust free!
:lol: I like your thinking....but unfortunately because of how the process works, the metal trash container/dumpster would actually get rustier, as the car gets de-rusted. Unless the POS connection was 100% insulated from the container, which would be difficult.

Usually the container is non conductive....like rubber, plastic, fiberglass, ect. That way it's not effected by the process.

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #216
A think you can get an 18' Coleman pool for under $400
:lol: that could work, as long as the car and rebar (anode) don't puncture the pool and make it leak.

How sturdy does it need to be? Make a frame from pvc piping, find a huge waterproof fabric to line the inside and fill? Then it's collapsible for storage
Sturdy enough to hold all the water to cover a car, and a car. :lol:
The waterproof/insulated fabric could make a metal trash container work though....

Either way, that won't/can't happen for a long, long time. I have no intentions to go down to a bare shell anytime soon.

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #217
With Tapatalk not working, it's really hard to post here. Using the full site on my phone is a huge PITA.

Anyway, last Saturday I got the wheel tub all welded in. This was probably the biggest thing to check off my to-do list. I've never done a panel replacement before, so I was nervous that I would completely **** it up.....but it all went pretty smooth.

Still have the headlight panel and upper tie bar to weld in.....but those will be quick and easy.

Although, I did cheat a little. I copper backed almost all the welds, to help not burn through. Thin metal sucks.

Here's my rust prevention plan. Not pictured is some quick setting epoxy to fill in some gaps:

-seam sealer
-spray paint primer
-2 part epoxy primer (in a can)
-cavity wax (inside the rails)
-more primer/paint on top

Currently, the seam sealer is drying and I'll finish sealing that panel this weekend. I might start welding the other 2 panels this weekend too, but I'm not sure yet. Might take a week off from metal work and mess with some wiring.

·
Registered
Turbo, LS swapped Impreza RS
5,166 Posts
Good thinking on the copper heat sink. You were right about the holes being every so slightly big to fill.

201 - 220 of 1018 Posts