Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2001 2.5rs coupe brp
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been doing some research for a while now and I was just wanting direct answers. I have the 2001 2.5 5mt with driveshaft, mounting brackets, shifter linkage and shifter, master and slave, and starter. I have read that I don't need the manual ecu, will that cause any problems? I know I need a rear diff, pedal box, clutch and flywheel. What can I use from any jdm subaru's? There is a local jdm parts importer with a crap load of stuff. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
2001 2.5rs coupe brp
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've read that I can use the v3 also because it's lsd and 4.11. And I've looked everywhere and no one has any parts for 01. Do you know of any jdm subaru's that I can use the clutch and flywheel? I know they have to be n/a but what else? It took me 3 months to find a matching tranny for the 01 but I got a killer deal. 150 for all of the parts I have so far including the tranny. And that's the thread I've gotten all of my info from

·
Banned
4,438 Posts
your clutch and flywheel need to come from an RS/legacy etc with a non turbo 2.5 liter

the diff can come from a variety of cars here in the US. I'm sure finding a diff isn't hard

that engine was never sold in Japan as far as Im aware, and even if it were the chance a jdm importer would bother, when there is near zero demand, would surprise me

·
Registered
2001 2.5rs coupe brp
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Would I need to get axels if I buy the jdm differential? And how do you tell the gear ratio just by looking at the diff?

·
Banned
4,438 Posts
I dont think there is any way to tell the final drive ratio just by looking at the pumpkn, no

some JDM diffs will require different axles...some also need different brakes. Far easier to just look for a 98-01 manual RS (other cars may work too, you would need to search). As I recall '00 and '01 are LSD, though viscous type, which frankly, suck. But, they are better (assuming they are working properly) than an open diff

·
Registered
2001 2.5rs coupe brp
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright so I picked up everything today including pedals, flywheel, clutch master, and a 01 forester diff. I'm assuming I need new axles right? Also what would you reccommend for a clutch? I'm thinking the oem exedy replacement

·
Registered
2001 2.5rs coupe brp
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
But the 00 and 01 came with lsd's so I think they're different

·
Banned
4,438 Posts
Alright so I picked up everything today including pedals, flywheel, clutch master, and a 01 forester diff. I'm assuming I need new axles right? Also what would you reccommend for a clutch? I'm thinking the oem exedy replacement
clutch choice depends on end goals

I don't have any axle suggestion, sorry

·
Registered
1998 Impreza OBS
484 Posts
ignore this if im wrong but couldnt he also use some of the needed parts from a forester? i dnt remember wat years exactly but quite a few were also 4.11 final and i used a majority of parts helping a buddy do this swap

·
Registered
2001 2.5rs coupe brp
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
does anyone know a good thread on how the wiring is for this? preferrably with pictures. everything going good so far though!!!!!! i just don't know how im going to attack this.. its a 98 2.5rs tranny and the plugs are 3 prong and smaller. and my auto harness has i think 6 prong

·
Registered
2001 2.5rs coupe brp
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have another question. I bought wrx pedals. Would the rs clutch master and hose still work on that?

·
Registered
2001 2.5rs coupe brp
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
FINISHED EVERYTHING THANKS GUYS!!! It's amazing how much better it drives. Anyone can PM me if the need any advice or help

1 - 17 of 17 Posts