Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am going to change my front & rear differerntial oil on my 2001 Impreza 2.5RS (automatic transmission). Seeing that the rear differential on the 2001 RS has LSD, do I need a oil that is for LSD. Will I need the same oil for the front and rear or different for the rear seeing the rear has LSD. Thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
2001 SRP 2.5RS/RA/SOHC Monster
2,795 Posts
You do need friction modifier. I use Motul Gear 300 Ls for the rear differential.

The front diff is supplied by the transmission lubricant. No need for friction modifier / Limited slip oil in the trans.

·
Banned
2001 Impreza 2.5RS+T 2001 Legacy GT
1,236 Posts
I believe on the manuals the front diff is supplied with transmission oil, but on the automatics it is a separate unit with a drain and fill hole that seals with the front diff dipstick.

Here's the service manual page for AT front diff fluid replacement.

2001ImprezaGC-ATDiffGearOil.pdf - Google Drive

·
Registered
1999 Impreza L
567 Posts
I am going to change my front & rear differerntial oil on my 2001 Impreza 2.5RS (automatic transmission). Seeing that the rear differential on the 2001 RS has LSD, do I need a oil that is for LSD. Will I need the same oil for the front and rear or different for the rear seeing the rear has LSD. Thanks for your help.

The rear LSD is a Viscous unit, its sealed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts