Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

I will try to keep this short, but I am having trouble with starting my vehicle sometimes. I get no crank at all, but all the lights work and do not dim, it also starts up sometimes so i know my battery is good. The connector from the battery to the starter is pretty new, and the starter is also new. I am pretty much having the same problem with the old starter as well. I changed it initially because i noticed that my car would not start when it was hot or ran for while, so i thought my starter was heat-soaked. I put the new one in and it worked good for a few days and then same problem and randomly not cranking at all. which then made me think it was not the heat, but im not sure at all.

I am sort of out of ideas now so any advice would be extremely helpful.

My random ideas:
my starter bolts that hook up the starter to the car have 2 washers on them.. could that cause this problem?

ive been hearing of a starter relay, or i think "main relay" is what its called in my car.. could that be the issue?

could it just be a bad ground from accidentally shortening something? if so how do i go about resetting the grounds on my car correctly?

Thank you everyone! also sorry if i sound like a noob lol

·
Registered
2000 RS Coupe
241 Posts
Use a multimeter and check your battery to start. A good battery should read 12.5 volts when not running and anywhere from 13.5-14 when running ( good indicator of your alternator functionality). When it's running, pop the hood and follow electrical pathways to look for arcing or split wires, especially where any wires are in proximity to metal. Check ground points abd terminals for corrosion. These are very simple to do to start ruling things out. It's also possible the starter is bad. I would pull it after trying these other things first. Get the starter tested at an auto parts store to see if it's actually good.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your insight! Everything was good though, and i figured out the problem. It was the "clutch pedal ignition lock switch" part number 83281AA000.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts