Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Bombara Motorsports is building a 2000 Impreza RS as their replacement rally car. Following the death of the evilNeon at STPR 2007 we have been in a financial recovery/rebuilding phase every since. The project is now underway and I decided that some here may be interested in what we are doing with it.

After this happened...

...We needed a new car. The Neon was cheap and competitive, but I had found too many limitations in the cars basic design and wanted something fundamentally better. The project started by divesting myself of ~10yrs worth of Dodge Neon parts aquisition to build up a fund with which I could obtain the new rallycar shell. After reading the Washington DC area Craigslist for ~1 month I found a BRP 2000 RS with 100k miles and more problems than an abused stepchild. I was able to steal the car away at sub-wholesale prices after the owner failed to find another buyer.

After the car was procured the project planning went into high gear. I knew I wanted a Subaru, but I also knew that even if I had the driving ability I couldn't afford to run at the front of the open class with well funded X games athletes and Irishmen. The P2 class in NASA (AWD w/NA motors) was attractive until the 3 people who had been running dropped out. The Spec Scooby idea being kicked around was also attractive but has received almost zero actual interest. With the success (and payout!) of the 2wd Max Attack series (http://www.max-attack.com/) it made alot more sense to run the car as a 2wd to both save money on parts/tires and possibly make money from the series. (I know the AWD purists will think I'm crazy to convert a Scooby to FWD but in the current state of US rallying costs and competition it makes alot of sense!)

To be continued...

· Registered
99 RS WRB/SOLD
65 Posts
STPR was filled with mishaps thank god for the Gas Light to bury or problems, My crew did not run this year but we rocking the stages watching for the first time in 4 years. PM me if you need help with anything. I crew with Jon Bottoms and Carlyn Bosley ( Gold winner of the X-games) with team GNM.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.