Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
00 obs-t
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2000 obs with a n/a ej22t. the car tends to smoke at lower rpms, at first i thought it was a pcv problem but after blocking off the pcv valve it only continued to smoke. wondering if any one with a ej22 turbo build has come across this problem. the smoke is a blue smoke so i know its oil. i replaced the turbo thinking it could be seals and that didnt seem to help. any thoughts?

·
Banned
4,438 Posts
blocking a pcv isn't going to alleviate a smoking engine...the engine needs some way to exhale it's pressurized oil

does it do it if you leave the car sitting and idling? that's generally an indication of valvestem seals

if it does it while running under load, then it could be any number of other things

·
Registered
00 obs-t
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
its smoking from the exhaust. what i did was redirect the the pcv to the crank case breather and on the y split put a mini air filter. so the car is still venting just not into the pcv. it seems to be only at idle and up to 2k rpms when i rev it up at a constant rate the smoking stops.

·
Registered
00 obs-t
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for your help, after doing alittle research that seems to be the problem. now that the heads are coming off im thinking about putting ej251 heads on for a more reliable turbo build. any thoughts on which head gaskets to use. i know i should stick with the block style hgs but as far as thickness should i go with the ej251 thickness.

·
Registered
GF OBS-T, GM RS EJ20, SF EJ20
4,973 Posts
Feeding oil to the turbo from a "t" off of the oil pressure sensor without a restrictor may be the cause of your smoke.

·
Registered
00 obs-t
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have my feed line running from a oil sandwich plate, although ive been contemplating switching to the pressure sensor because every oil filter I use leaks at the oil sandwich plate. thanks for the input didn't realize resistor was needed for the sensor. The smoking is odd, somedays its worse then others probably gonna go with the valve stem seals and give me reason to open up the engine and add a few things. wondering if you have and recommendations i basically built my car off your DIY build and still in the process of fine tuning everything.

·
Registered
99 OBS
276 Posts
Did it smoke like this before it was turbo'd? How many miles on it since turbo?

·
Registered
00 obs-t
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
put about 5k on it since turbo. at first i thought it was a pcv problem but after rerouting some stuff it didnt make much of a difference. and it didnt smoke before atleast not noticeable, its also straight piped at the moment no cats, so im wondering if the smoke was smothered alittle.

·
Registered
99 OBS
276 Posts

·
Registered
00 obs-t
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
no I didn't run check valve set up but that is definitely an option with an oil catch can for the crank and pcv. at the moment I routed the valve cover breathers to the y split on the crank case breather and put a small filter on the other end of the y split. but I am going to check my drain line and see if there is any kinks in it. thanks for the input definitely something to think about.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts