Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
RUSSIAN FOR HIRE
2000 Impreza RST
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, im new here so sorry for any mistakes or noob things i say ahead of time.
I recently bought a 2000 OBS for an amazing deal (3500) it has 132k on it but unfortunantly the previous owner didnt do any real maintanance on it aside from oil changes.
since buying it i have noticed that i have a squealing noise coming from the rear (drum brakes) when im braking at a slow speed (<20 mph) when im braking from like 35 or 45 no noise but the second i slow to below the 20 i start getting the squeal.
i seached the forums, checked the brakes for wear and exessive dust and they actually look ok. also though it may be a wheel bearing (common issue I've read) but it only does it when im braking which kind of rules that out as well. any ideas?
Thanks ahead of time for all suggestions and help

·
RUSSIAN FOR HIRE
2000 Impreza RST
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
oh and also went to a mechanic in PDX, OR and they said it was probably just brake dust. but when i looked it really didnt look like it was overly dusty in there

·
RIP 08.24.2013
01 legacy L
8,015 Posts
Previous owner didn't do any real maintenance, brakes squeal when coming to a stop, suspect is brake pads/shoes. Could also be the drums themselves being worn down. I find it hard to believe a car with 100+k still has good shoes when the owner didn't do much maintenance.

·
RUSSIAN FOR HIRE
2000 Impreza RST
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
when i visually inspected it it looked fine (just take off the drum and look) but ill tear into it this weekend if they actually give me a day off work lol. thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.