Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2000 Subaru Impreza RS coupe -
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I get outside and start messing around on my car, I am wondering...
I just ordered an AEM short ram intake for my car, and I'd like it to fit right underneath the left hood vent (when facing the car). Of course there is plastic underneath the vent so that would do no good, but can I take that off while still leaving the black "grill" type thing? I have seen people that completely take vent off, totally exposing the intake, and I don't want that, I just want air to be able to get in from the vent.
Is this possible with what I have now, or would new vents need to be purchased?

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
...Ok, so I got a bit impatient.
I just went outside and took off the cover from the bottom, so now it is open. This is completely safe for the car, correct? While driving in rain and other things, right? I dont' see how it could be damaging, but I would really like other opinions.
And how about when I get my intake. If my intake is directly below the open vent, when driving in rain that could be damaging though, correct? Or could the intake filter out the water somehow?

Thanks for the help guys,

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
You really should not have a problem. My filter is right under my scoop and I have not had a problem. Its been like that for 2 years now.

There is a aftermarket vent/scoop that I have seen pics of on this site. You may want to poke around and see if you can find the pic. I will post it here if I come across it.

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, thanks TMRRALLY.
Does anyone have any idea why the plastic is there in the first place? I might just take it off of the scoop and the other vent as well just for better cooling airflow.

·
Registered
98, 00
30 Posts
the covers are there to keep stuff out of the engine bay, dirt/water. With the filter being below an open vent it will get wet. The water will cause the filter to not allow air to flow as well. The water will also be sucked into the intake and depending on the style of intake it could possibly be sucked into the engine which is bad. But the increased airflow when it is dry should aid performance a little.

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, but that is some crazy/bad ass intake you made yourself! So I think you would have a pretty good idea as to how it works... haha.

·
Registered
'00 2.5RS coupe (9/01-1/04)
236 Posts
How does it do in the rain, Sean? Do you put the blocking plate back on when it rains?

That sure is a nice looking setup.
-s-

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
It's been like that for 2 years now and I have never had any problems in the rain. Most of the water drops off before getting to the filter, also running a K&N helps by having the oil repel the water.

I AM going into production with the intake as we speak, I should have 5 by the end of the week, ready to sell. Let me know if anyone is interested.

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am indeed interested! How much would one of those suckers run for?

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
pull it out the bottom:rolleyes:

Actually I had bent a tube to go behind everything and against the fire wall. I went to put it in and I had bent it 1inch too short. It was about 2:00am and it was the last piece if 1.5 I had, so I used 1.25 and did the bar you see in the pic. I also made bushings and mounts to make it removable, but my lasy ass has never redid it. I might soon.

sean

:stupid:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts