Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 WRX, 00 GF
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've wanted to get into rallyx for a few years now, I finally bought a 2000 Impreza L last November, I planned to build a car that could still be a daily driver, fun to take on the back roads, take it to a few rally events, and not look like a complete pile of crap

First task, get it running...

the engine made so much noise when I first bought it, I didn't think it was going to drive onto the dolly. I was pretty sure it had spun a bearing or a rod snapped, so I picked up a '98 EJ25D block as a replacement. I then pulled the engine and found one of the timing sprocket's bearings went out and slipped over a 1/2 inch, somehow none of the valves were bent :clap: so I went ahead reassembled the engine, with the bigger block still. I have some automotive knowledge, mostly what my parents have taught me over the last 20 years, but this was still my first time doing the head gaskets and timing belt so I was a little nervous. After working out a few bugs, she fired right up. I've never driven a stock EJ222, but I have driven a stock EJ25D, (in a 98 forester with 200k miles) and I must say, I like this frankenstein engine a lot more, maybe its just the car its in... Anyways, mod list below, items in red are my future plans:

Engine:
EJ25D block, EJ222 heads/intake
Cometic Headgaskets
Lightweight flywheel
Exedy 25RS clutch/pressure plate
MS3 UEL Singleport Headers
K&N air filter
EJ253 Cams
STI 11mm oil pump
Rebuild 98 amp alternator
Gravelsport intake
Grounding kit
Delta Reground Cams

Suspension Modifications:
17mm RSB
KYB AGX Struts

Exterior Modifications:
OBS hood/grill painted satin black
97 Legacy Outback Rims/RS 6 Spokes with Blizzaks
02 WRX Fog lights
Yakima Loadwarrior Rack
4 Hella 700FF lights <-- need to install
Window tint
Repair rear quarter rust, repaint

Interior Modifications:
02 WRX front seats, rear seat recovered with 02 WRX fabric/foam
02 WRX leather shift boot
98 Forester arm rest extension
Prodrive shift knob

Some pics:

Couple months after I picked it up, hadn't worked on it at all yet:

Tested her out in a few fields, tires were too big and rubbed like crazy

I thought black would look better than the faded red the hood originally was

·
Registered
11 WRX, 00 GF
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
A few updates over the last 3 months

Replaced the rear passenger wheel bearing (thanks to OAKOS Automotive)

Did my first rallyx mid August, which was awesome, even though I came in last in the Modified 4wd class (8/20/11)

Mounted my fog lights and picked up a new wrx at the end of August:

Picked up an 02 WRX rear seat (Pacific Motors), which isnt a direct swap so I just swapped over the seat covers and foam, no functional head rests but it looks much better than the old stained tan seat (11/2/11).

Installed an MS3 UEL Header, ceramic coated by Custom Concepts Performance Coatings in Detroit (11/4/11)

Also installed a new muffler (thanks to thumpetto007), not sure what kinda, but it's pretty loud, sounds great with the header

Got the RS six spokes and blizzaks mounted (11/27/11)

·
Registered
11 WRX, 00 GF
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Future Plans:

Oil Leak Maintenance/2.5RS ECU Swap - Hoping over Christmas break to pull the engine to reseal the oil pan, rear main seal and oil separator plate. While I have it out Im going to try to install a set of EJ253 cams, EJ251 cam sprockets (thanks to Equinox92!) and an EJ25D crank sprocket and a 2000 2.5RS ECU... hoping the car starts afterwards...

Future mods:
Make/buy skid plate
Window tint
Legacy outback strut/spring lift or new struts

·
Registered
2000 Sedona Red 2.5RS
546 Posts
interested in the 2.2 head swap. wonder how that would compare to say my stock 2.5 setup.

·
Registered
11 WRX, 00 GF
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
interested in the 2.2 head swap. wonder how that would compare to say my stock 2.5 setup.
If you ever want to meet up and take her for a spin Im up for it, Ive only been in one RS before so Im not really sure how it would compare, but it does feel faster than my 98 forester (EJ25D). Where in Michigan are you? Im in Rochester area

·
Registered
11 WRX, 00 GF
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very cool, where do you go rally Xing?

looking to get into it and the only event i know of that i close enough is this winter in South Lyon.
I was at the South Lyon one in August, it's a pretty good track (for my first one) and it wasnt a bad drive, just in the middle of nowhere, make sure you have a full tank of gas before you leave, Im hoping to be back there in December, you should try to make it!

Nice! How was your trip to Pacific Motors?
Just like you described! I went at 1 in the afternoon and got a full tour. I picked up the set from the blue wagon, really dirty but they cleaned up pretty nice

·
Registered
11 WRX, 00 GF
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So the rallyx got cancelled, but thanks to equinox, I picked up a spare torque box and made this:

Dont plan to use it for daily driving, atleast not in the winter. Currently using a K&N airfilter, similar to the gravel sport intake, so I would hope water wouldnt get through. Engine probably breathes a little better, not a ton of noticable power increase, but the sound is amazing, at WOT it's almost as loud as the exhaust

·
Registered
11 WRX, 00 GF
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Well I finished all the maintenance I wanted to do:

Resealed oil pan
New rear main seal, crank seal and cam seals
Installed a metal rear separator plate (EJ25D block had a plastic leaky one)
Oil change
New BWD spark plug wires (new set from April were frayed already)
STI 11mm oil pump
EJ253 Cams
Replaced valve cover gaskets

Just a few leaks:

All cleaned up:

Also tried the 25RS ECU/crank sprocket and cam sprocket, engine ran and would rev up in neutral but wouldnt drive, sounds like the O2 sensor and IAC are different also, oh well, going to swap stuff out tomorrow morning and see how it goes. Just found out there is another rallyx on Jan 7th so hopefully I can make it

·
Registered
11 WRX, 00 GF
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Made it to the rallycross on 1/7, it was a mudfest and a blast even though the blizzaks did not work out so well, I placed 7/9 in M4.

Inch of mud around the cat:

Even after going to a couple car washes, there was still a ton of mud underneath, I scraped off an additional 6 gallons the other night, and noticed a bit of damage:

exhaust bent due to weight of mud:

heat shield ripped off in the front due to weight:

The night before was interesting, went and picked up a Yakima roof rack, something has been making noise on the front of the engine here and there for a while and got worse around 9pm. the PS started to cut out, so I swapped the pump out and while doing it, I thought lets try gravel sport intake v2, finished up around midnightish

Made some more noise, and made the hoodscoop functional, but its only temporary, I dont think the K&N would hold up well to the salt slush here in MI

Hoping to mount the rack and 4 hella 700ffs on the front of it in the next month, picked up 3 oem fog light switches too, so Ill run 2 off of each (rewire the two in the bumper as well). Next purchase is going to be a skid plate or some KYB AGX struts with legacy outback springs

·
Registered
Impreza SportsWagon 99 2.0
11 Posts
A few updates over the last 3 months

Replaced the rear passenger wheel bearing (thanks to OAKOS Automotive)

Did my first rallyx mid August, which was awesome, even though I came in last in the Modified 4wd class (8/20/11)

Mounted my fog lights and picked up a new wrx at the end of August:

Picked up an 02 WRX rear seat (Pacific Motors), which isnt a direct swap so I just swapped over the seat covers and foam, no functional head rests but it looks much better than the old stained tan seat (11/2/11).

Installed an MS3 UEL Header, ceramic coated by Custom Concepts Performance Coatings in Detroit (11/4/11)

Also installed a new muffler (thanks to thumpetto007), not sure what kinda, but it's pretty loud, sounds great with the header

Got the RS six spokes and blizzaks mounted (11/27/11)

Your GF8 is looking real good man, can I ask how you mounted the fog lights? wanted to do the same setup but how did you do it? because where they sit did you have to cut/modify the bumper?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts