Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got my first car a while back, and took on a pretty big challenge for a 17 year old. The transmission was starting to go, so when I went to swap it, I also put some new gaskets in the engine. The engine is back in and there's just a few vacuum hoses I need to install, and I used the transmission from a 99 Legacy. I did a lot of research and asked a lot of people if it would work and so I went for it. Now the tranny is in but when I went to start it, I could hear the starter pop out and spin, but not catch. I had a little trouble aligning the gear selector with the transmission line, and I'm not 100% sure that it's in park, would that be an issue? Any help would be great.

·
Registered
00'RS/02' WRX stgEleventy
2,144 Posts
Auto trans I assume.. is the TC the same diameter at the old one? If its not its not going to engage teeth

Sent from an other planet (Tapatalk)

·
Registered
56 Posts
few things to look in to..

which starter did you use? your old one, the match to the new trans, or a new one?

which torque converter did you use? your old one, the match to the new trans, or a new one?

you could also take the starter out so you can see the gear and visually confirm that the gear is popping out and staying out while spinning.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I used the same torque converter and the same starter that I had. And yeah, automatic for now.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I got a friend to come over and I looked at the starter while he turned the key. It pops out and spins and everything, but it sent a few sparks and smoked a bit. Might get a new starter, but I don't see why it wont catch. Could there be a spacer somewhere in the tranny that I missed?

·
Registered
2000 2.5RS/C BRP
2,321 Posts
There's no spacer, but there are different starters. An auto starter won't fit a manual tranny, for instance. Sounds like it was always auto, yes?

·
Registered
56 Posts

check the depth from the engine block surface to the starter mounting surface on the two transmissions. you can see here that from a manual to automatic the difference in depth is very noticable, maybe the two automatics you are working with are slightly different.

the other possibility as mentioned before is that the diameter of the TC ring gear might not be correct for the bell housing on the new trans

·
Registered
2000 2.5RS/C BRP
2,321 Posts

check the depth from the engine block surface to the starter mounting surface on the two transmissions. you can see here that from a manual to automatic the difference in depth is very noticable, maybe the two automatics you are working with are slightly different.

the other possibility as mentioned before is that the diameter of the TC ring gear might not be correct for the bell housing on the new trans
I'm pretty sure, though someone will correct me if I'm wrong, that unless you're switching between Phase I and Phase II, the autos are identical.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, both of them are auto, and from what I've found they should be the exact same transmission, I'll do some measurements in the morning just to be sure though. Thanks so much for your help guys

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh, and idk if it matters, but when i removed the starter I reached my hand into the tranny and I could spin it with very little force. It would stop the moment I stopped though.

·
Registered
2000 2.5RS/C BRP
2,321 Posts
Like, not-spinning-the-engine easy? Did you remember to bolt the Torque Converter to the flex plate? The TC has the gear teeth on it, so if you didn't bolt the TC to the flex plate the TC would just spin without turning the engine over. So the starter is actually engaging, it's just that it's only spinning the TC, not the engine.

·
Registered
2000 2.5RS/C BRP
2,321 Posts
Again, did you remember to bolt the TC to the flex plate? You shouldn't be able to turn the engine by hand easily. Like, barely possible kind of not easily. If you could turn the gear teeth by hand, they aren't attached to the engine.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'll drop the transmission again and check, I've been really busy but I might be able to do it saturday

·
Registered
2000 2.5RS/C BRP
2,321 Posts
You don't need to drop the tranny. You can pull the intake manifold, there's a little rubber plug in the engine casting towards the back of the passenger side (if it's even still there). The flex plate bolts to the torque converter through this hole.

Question- when you removed the old tranny, did you pull the torque converter with it, or did it stay on the engine, and you installed the new tranny? If it's the latter, the new tranny is likely going to have to come out anyway, as it's unlikely you got the TC seated in the pump shaft that's internal to the tranny.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Alright! Sorry about the long wait, something came up amd I have a 2001 25rs parts car with a 5spd MT, tbanks for everything! Wish me luck, getting it tomorrow and going to start working on it

1 - 16 of 16 Posts