Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got my subie on the road. Most the time it drives fine but occasionally it has a weird stumble. The worst is parked facing up a hill then trying to accelerate. It will cough and stumble for a while but usually comes back to life. Sometimes it does it on more flat but is much more likely to do it under heavier acceleration. A few times it has completely stalled. I sit and crank it for 30-40 seconds and it starts to catch and fires back up. It really feels like the Gforce of acceleration is a main cause and facing uphill seems to amplify this. Now unfortunately this car is a basket case and some backwoods engineers tried to turn it into a race car. It has a fuel cell in the trunk with an external pump and everything that was done to it is ghetto. I first suspected the fuel cell or pump but it does this with a full tank and the pump seems to run strong. The pump is getting 13.3 volts. It dropped to about 11 for a second when the rad fan came on but bounced right back. I am going to be getting a stock tank, pump and sending unit soon to replace it.
I have checked and cleaned all the grounds in the engine bay and added one from the batt to the engine to the chassis. I have wiggled all the wires and hoses and everything I can think of that could allow g forces to effect the engine and don't see any problems. There is a lot that was poorly done on the car so I think I will just have to keep going through it but I thought it might be worth posting in case this was a known and or common problem that others had experienced before.

·
Registered
2001 subura imprez RS sedan
46 Posts
I've got a 01 5spd with 146k miles. It is most likely your ICM (idle control motor) which sits right above the throttle body. If you can run it on someones code reader. See if its throwing a 1507. Thats what is wrong with mine right now

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.