Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently bought a 2000 2.5 RS with 86k miles on it. the guy who owned it before was a big commuter and racked up the miles on it. anyways..the car runs beautifully except for 2 sounds that do not seem to affect the performance, but i just want to chse them down and fix them before i start modding my car. first sound is an airy sound that sounds like its right in front of me when im driving, like something is rubbing or something, it gets more noticible as i rev the engine, i have all new belts put on it and a new water pump, so im kinda clueless.
the next noise happens when i brake at speeds over 40 mph. i tried doing it with the cluthc in and out and it still makes the noise. its like the car is shuddering a little and it only seems to be on the right side of the car, again it doesnt seem to affect braking distance. i was thnking maybe it was a warped rotor or something along those lines. other than that the car runs great if i cant figure out what it is im gonna takeit to a subaru shop and have them look at it, but i dont reallly feel like spending $ if i dont have to. thanks
dave

·
Registered
2004 Forester XTi
1,005 Posts
Did the previous owner modify the car at all? Did he take it off road? Did you ask him/her why they are selling it?

My car's intake makes a barely noticable whine (like a supercharger) when I start accelerating. That has been since I bought the car at 13000 (now at 53000). I can't identify your airy, rubbing sound though. Sorry.

If the second noise is causing the car to shudder when you are braking, it's possibly a warped rotor.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Did the previous owner remove the intake silencer at the end of the intake pipe? That could be one of the reasons why it makes a supercharger kinda sound. I removed my silencer and u can definitly hear it! sounds just like how u describe it. As for the shuddering, i really dont have any clue. U should go with kickins advice.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
If the rotor were warped the wheel would shimmy a little when you broke hard, especially under hard braking. You would also feel it in the pedal.

Did you drive the thing before you bought it?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
update

SInce my car was still under warranty, i took it back to the dealership and they replaced all four rotors. it is mint now. as for the engine noise it kinda just went away. thanks for the advise

·
Registered
54 Posts
Re: update

Wannascooby said:
as for the engine noise it kinda just went away. thanks for the advise
it'll be back...i get that same noise on bitter cold mornings. Scares the crap out of me every time...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts