Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive dug through alot of threads and have yet to find a CLEAR answer on what is the correct BMC upgrade for my 01 RS. anyone have an answer for me? my guess is that it would that it be an SVX bmc with abs? thanks for any input

·
I kill threads!
2000 Ver 6 STI - 1996 Gravel Express
3,749 Posts
Pretty much the non-ABS guys get the SVX MCs. Never heard of the ABS guys getting the SVX MCs.

If you're worried about fitment, just get a GD STI brake booster and the MC. Also grab the STI proportioning valve.

Any reason you are trying to upgrade?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
really? ive read that svx ABS can be used on imprezas with ABS, im not trying to change out the booster quite yet. reason im upgrading is for pedal feel, my pedal is mush and it takes quite a distance before braking force is applied

·
I kill threads!
3,749 Posts
Sounds more like you need to bleed your brakes. Also maybe some SS lines.

Mushy brakes also seems pretty normal with these stupid double stage boosters. My OBS had mushy brakes, my RS had mushy brakes, my Impreza Turbo has mushy brakes. Nothing I did ever got rid of the feeling.

My Brighton with single stage booster, perfect.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
brakes are bled correctly and i have SS lines already lol yes ive heard that single stage booster are awesome, but i looked up doing the swap and it seems like a huge pain lol

·
I kill threads!
3,749 Posts
Did some reading and it looks like 99+ Imprezas came with a different type of dual stage booster. One that is not compatible with the SVX MC.

·
Registered
1999 2.5RS, 2013 Legacy 3.6R
119 Posts
Single stage brake booster is the only way to get rid of the mushy brake pedal...from what I've read and researched. Especially if you do a 4/2 pot brake component swap.

·
Baby❤Daddy
98L Wagon
27,848 Posts
^^cheaper solution is to put a MC brace in. i have barely any travel.

if you're wanting to get the SVX master, the centrix part number is: 130.47015 and has a 1 1/16th in bore. google the part number.

·
Banned
4,438 Posts
Single stage brake booster is the only way to get rid of the mushy brake pedal...from what I've read and researched. Especially if you do a 4/2 pot brake component swap.
eh.....I had it in my previous car both with stock brakes and a Prodrive BBK. It wasn't this "omg amazing" difference by any means. Mine eventually blew, went back to the dual stage

master cylinder brace makes a nice difference

pads also have a big role in overall pedal "grab" - different compounds will completely alter pedal feel

·
I kill threads!
3,749 Posts
I wouldn't get Ferodo pads, they're pretty crap. I've got the midrange pads from them and a friend has the high end pads on his Evo. They blow goats.

·
Banned
4,438 Posts
I wouldn't get Ferodo pads, they're pretty crap. I've got the midrange pads from them and a friend has the high end pads on his Evo. They blow goats.
too broad a statement to make IMHO

depends which Ferodo pads, and depends what rotors you match them with. I've used, for example, Ferodo DS2500 pads + DBA 4000 and 5000 level rotors on a ton of cars, from Mazda to BMW to Porsche to Subaru, and they work very well. One of the most popular pads for the Evo 8-10 as well.

Ferodo then has a DS3000 pad, which is an even higher spec. Dusty (so are DS2500) but a dead stable pad with excellent initial bite and a broad temperature range

·
I kill threads!
3,749 Posts
Can't remember exactly which ones I have, but I'm using DBA Street Series rotors. Feel no different than stock.

·
Banned
4,438 Posts
Have never used the street series with anything but a mild ceramic pad (Hawk, a couple others), always been 4000 or 5000 spec when using the more aggressive pads. The rotor won't feel different - but the metallurgy differs. Finding a pad and rotor that play nicely together is sometimes trial and error. If the pad is too aggressive for the rotor, you can often find it very easy to leave deposits on the disk face, and, they wear quite quickly. It's all finding that sweet spot. Different rotors also can have a different internal vane pattern, and that too can contribute to how the disk behaves with a given set of pads

·
I kill threads!
3,749 Posts
Was thinking of Hawks, but at the same time, I can just not care. I have DBA 4000s on my coupe and EBC blues (I think). Just need to get it over here.

Is there a universal MC brace? One you can swap between RHD and LHD?

·
I kill threads!
3,749 Posts
Work your way up. If the brace works, then not really a need for a bigger BMC. If you still get mushy brakes, then you can start trying other things. Just work little by little.

I mean, if your engine isn't running right, you're going to try the little things, before you do a full blown engine replacement.

·
Registered
01 RS
26 Posts
Reviving the post just to update some people the 1996 SVX ABS Brake Master Cylinder does NOT fit the 99-01 subaru impreza awd rs 2.5. Learned the hard way. I pulled the MC of my 01 subaru impreza and it had a metal sleeve spacer sticking out of the MC that gets pushed by the plunger on the brake booster. SVX MC does have the metal sleeve spacer sticking out of it.... Hopefully this helps someone out there.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts