Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Update: Car threw CEL codes P0301 P0302. Got new spark plugs, wires and new front Denso o2. can drive roughly 150miles and it seems to come on again. Might need to buy coil pack. Also saw that i have an exhaust leak at the collector (doughnut gasket) after the cats. I've heard that this will cause misfires in cyl 1 and 2 for some odd reason. Will fix/repair, and report back.

·
Registered
02 Bugeye STI & 03 Forester XS
4 Posts
Update: Car threw CEL codes P0301 P0302. Got new spark plugs, wires and new front Denso o2. can drive roughly 150miles and it seems to come on again. Might need to buy coil pack. Also saw that i have an exhaust leak at the collector (doughnut gasket) after the cats. I've heard that this will cause misfires in cyl 1 and 2 for some odd reason. Will fix/repair, and report back.
Were you able to resolve your issue?

·
Experimenter
Tubaru Pickup
3,910 Posts
Just didnt his swap on a 2008 Impreza 2.5i. Swapped of the intake manifold and exhaust manifold. Left long block alone. Our Ej203 had TGV's. We had to open the ROM and delete the AVLS codes and now it runs like just fine. Without the codes deleted, the engine would cut out around 4k rpm, i assume thats when the AVLS would activate.

·
Registered
2005 RS wagon, EJ203 swapped
1 Posts
Just did this swap on a 2005 Impreza RS. Only frustrating part was once we got the motor in, we realized the flex plate on the EJ203 was too small, so learn from my mistake and be sure to double check sizes.

Other than that it runs great! No codes, but fuel consumption is high. I did find a sticky caliper on the passenger rear, so hopefully that's what's causing the problem.

·
Registered
2005 Impreza RS 2.5
69 Posts
Could use some help. Put in an ej203 in my 2005 impreza RS. Have it all back together but it will not start. Seems to be getting spark and fuel but still no start. Double checked all the sensors and is everything is plugged back in. I did replace the timing belt before changing the motor and made sure all marks were correct.

What do I check next?

·
Registered
2005 Impreza RS 2.5
69 Posts
Did not swap cam gears.

Found out the motor I got ahold of was junk. It was literally pouring coolant out of the exhaust ports in the exhaust and eventually leaking out of the muffler.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Did not swap cam gears.

Found out the motor I got ahold of was junk. It was literally pouring coolant out of the exhaust ports in the exhaust and eventually leaking out of the muffler.
:(

Is the company you bought it from returning your money/offering a trade?

·
aka RFoy2.5RS-T
98 RS
1,707 Posts
What kind of gas mileage is everyone getting with these motors? My daily is an 01 forester. The motor is consuming oil and it feels like it's low on compression. I'm thinking the ej20 swap would be perfect for my beater. Currently getting around 24mpg hopefully the ej20 does a bit better. I don't care about it being fast or slow.

·
Registered
2005 Impreza RS 2.5
69 Posts
:(

Is the company you bought it from returning your money/offering a trade?

No return or trade, I bought it through a private seller and essentially got what I paid for. I know better for next time though.

That being said, referring to head gaskets, are the 02-05 ej205 wrx head gaskets in fact direct replacements for the ej203? I read in the beginning of the thread about them but there seemed to have been conflicting opinions.

·
Registered
2005,Impreza 2.5RS, Silver
2 Posts
Thank you for the guide, I own a 05 2.5RS as well, same thing happened to me, I just purchased another engine.

·
Registered
2005 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS Seda
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Happy to help. Motor still runs strong to this day. Love that motor.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts