Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Subaru 2.5RS
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car died on me while driving on the hwy. Thought maybe the alternator had gone out. Removed and got it checked and passed. Battery is at 12V and starter is brand new. What else could cause this? Car has been sitting for a few days and still doesn't start up. It doesn't crank at all. What do you guys think this could be? Its a 2000 2.5RS it has an alarm system and it is a manual.

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
466 Posts
Did you try unplugging the alarm system? Are you able to check the ecu for any codes?

·
Registered
2000 Subaru 2.5RS
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No not yet. What am I to unplug and once unplugged what then? I am able to read codes but there aren’t any in the system. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
466 Posts
Check through this thread and see if it applies to you: Security system that disable the starter. If your security system is blocking your starter from doing it's job, once you disable or remove it from the system, (if that is indeed the only problem), you should be able to start the car.

·
Registered
2000 Subaru 2.5RS
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have an OEM alarm I also have the button to disable the alarm but still nothing happened. Do you think maybe the system is just had and I should remove the alarm in general?

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
466 Posts
Look for the black box under the dash, it's about 3"x3." Follow the wiring, a set of wires goes to the steering column. It acts as an interruptor with the starter circuit at the ignition side. If you remove the security plugs from the circuit (and have the ignition plug go directly to the chassis side with no security box inbetween), you should still leave the box in there plugged into whatever else it's plugged into. It affects more than just the starter (I can't remember for sure, but it may disable central locking or something similar if fully removed).

pic here:

·
Registered
2000 Subaru 2.5RS
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I found the plug and unplugged it. I then plugged in the ignition switch but nothing seems to happen. I'm sure my battery needs charging now which I'll do that tomorrow. But what else could it be? Where should the ignition switch be at? How many ohms?

·
Registered
2000 Subaru 2.5RS
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Car still has power. Everything lights up just doesn't Crank

·
Registered
1999 Impreza 2.5RS "RuSTI"
83 Posts
How many sensors does it have? One of each?
1 cam 1 crank, cam is easiest to get to as it sits out in the open on the driver side right behind the timing cover, pull off the connector and attach a multi-meter to the two prongs, it should measure between 1-4k Ohms, same for the crank which is located under the alternator and may be a little more difficult to access. if its out of this range then the sensor is bad and needs to be replaced. This is by no means a complete test but can be a quick check to see if they're bad. The next step would be to use an OBD II scanner and preform a waveform test but since you have a no-start condition this is a bit difficult. depending on where you're located i might just recommend replacing these for peace of mind and most they can be found for around $20-$30 at most parts stores.

Would that cause a no Crank no start?
Yeah, when the cam sensor went out i died on a freeway off ramp and almost ended up in a ditch, and when the crank sensor went i ended up making some very unhappy people about 15 min late bc i couldnt get it to crank 😂

·
Registered
2000 Subaru 2.5RS
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I really appreciate the help guys. I'm going to see what I can do tomorrow after work. Thanks 👍

·
Registered
2000 Subaru 2.5RS
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok new cam and Crank sensor. Still nothing. I read something about 2 relays in the back of the junction box under driver side dash. Would you know what those relay are for.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Ok new cam and Crank sensor. Still nothing. I read something about 2 relays in the back of the junction box under driver side dash. Would you know what those relay are for.
not sure, iirc those had to do with the wipers and headlights, but its been a while since i messed with them.
When you turn the key is everything normal except for it not starting, like can you hear the fuel pump prime, ignition relay click, etc.?

·
Registered
2000 Subaru 2.5RS
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes I can hear the fuel pump prime, the relay clicks. The lights on the dash are good. I am getting 12V from the battery. The starter is brand new but even got it tested to be sure and the alternator was tested and passed. It has new crankshaft and camshaft sensors. The fuses are all good. I'm guessing it's either connection or something. I tested to see if I got voltage from the ground wire that leads to the starter when ignition is turned on and it shows 12V. The wires on the battery that connect to the starter do seem to get a warm almost hot. Idk if maybe there is a bad connection or something. I'm just trying to figure this out. What a headache.

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
635 Posts
Soo many times I've had a bad ground cause problems, from running rough to not starting at all. Damn grounds.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yes I can hear the fuel pump prime, the relay clicks. The lights on the dash are good. I am getting 12V from the battery. The starter is brand new but even got it tested to be sure and the alternator was tested and passed. It has new crankshaft and camshaft sensors. The fuses are all good. I'm guessing it's either connection or something. I tested to see if I got voltage from the ground wire that leads to the starter when ignition is turned on and it shows 12V. The wires on the battery that connect to the starter do seem to get a warm almost hot. Idk if maybe there is a bad connection or something. I'm just trying to figure this out. What a headache.
Sounds like you might be chasing one of the ground gremlins, there's 4 or 5 I think in the engine bay.
If not that, have someone help you with a multimeter, test and see if the voltage at the starter drops when you turn the key, if it doesn't then could be a bad starter relay.

·
Registered
2000 Subaru 2.5RS
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
There is voltage drop when the key is turned. It goes from 12V to around 8-9V. Im guessing it could just be a connection issue then. The two grounds at the top of the strut are good. I just need to check the rest. I heard there are some underneath the dashboard that have caused people issues. I'm not sure where but I will take a look later today after work. Thank you guys for all of the support. I do appreciate it.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts