Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

2.5RS Buying Advice

1K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  FryphaX 
#1 ·
Hi everybody, I’m new here to the forum and looking for advice on a 1999 2.5 RS that’s for sale near me. It has 155k and a 5 speed in blue. I think I can pick it up for $1200 but it has quite a bit of rust on the body and underneath but everything’s there and it runs well. I’d be looking to fix it up at some point I’m just not sure if it’s worth it, I’ve always liked these cars and I know they’re getting harder to find. Im going to look at it in more detail tonight so any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

#2 ·
Worth it , only you can determine . These are fun cars to drive. Replacement body panels available. Careful of structural vs body rust. My $2000 RS has turned into a $6500 RS, and I still have the body shop work to be done. For me, it is worth it . Suggest, unless you are familiar where to look, take it to a good shop before purchase.

#4 ·
I`m no expert, but here goes :check for any rust coming from the inside out around the windshield pillar and cowling. Check the strut towers. Look underneath, see if the control arms look solid, as well as the mounting points. Look at the door sills. The rear quarter panels are commonly rusted- not a deal breaker. I`m not clear where you are located , which factor in the potential issues. I guess my best advise, drive it . If it feels good , tracks straight, shifts well, engine doesn`t make odd noises , you are probably OK. At $1200 , not a huge gamble .

#6 ·
Thanks for the help guys, I ended up going for it after getting the price down to $900, I figured that’s not the end of the world if it doesn’t work out but it is a little rough. It seems to run and drive pretty well. Structurally the rust doesn’t look too bad but most of the body panels have rust on them and the worst part is the driver side floorboard. I’ll have to decide if it’s worth fixing.

Attachments

#7 ·
Thanks for the help guys, I ended up going for it after getting the price down to $900, I figured that’s not the end of the world if it doesn’t work out but it is a little rough. It seems to run and drive pretty well. Structurally the rust doesn’t look too bad but most of the body panels have rust on them and the worst part is the driver side floorboard. I’ll have to decide if it’s worth fixing.
View attachment 81810

#8 ·
That looks much better than I thought it would ! Appears to be a good restorable car. If you are new to Subaru, I suggest checking your oil regularly- I think a lot of spun rod bearings are as much due to low oil as and other factor . I am a big fan of the RS feel, different than any other Subaru I have owned ( 7 ) . I think a hell of a good deal. Enjoy it .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.