Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
1993, L AWD, Aegean blue :)
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi my name is jimmy and i just started getting into subarus.. im actually in the process of owning one and i was wondering if you guys could help me a little. i already looked at the sticky up above but yeah i wanted to know a few things because the car im looking at is about 6 hrs away from me.

SO, the car is a 2001 impreza RS for $4500, it has 179,000 miles and the pictures look clean. The only problem is he said that the o2 sensors were bad so he changed them but the CEL stayed on... That seems fishy to me, and i read things about headgaskets being bad on the RS's mainly the 98's but iono. You guys know any other problems with the 2001 RS? how much do headgaskets cost to repair if it is? im fiending for one but i dont want to buy a wreck.

Alright thansk for any inputs, and do you guys have any suggestions to what i can ask him? recipets for o2 sensors??

· Registered
V4 Sti BRP, 98LGT SP, 94SVX PW
793 Posts
First if the car is close go look at it.
Second if it isnt, GO look at it.

If cell light is on ask for the code or get it at Auto ZOne/Advanced Auto/pep Boys/ etc
If no cell light is on. Pull a fuse to make sure it is working. (not unhooked!)
Cell code will tell you what you need to know.

· Registered
00RS & 02WRX
1,215 Posts
i know which car you talking about..i emailed the the seller but never got back and his post offed craigslist'ed.
but anyways if he got 02 sensor code replaced the sensor should fixed the problems.but the cel still on you have to think about it..also 01 rs still have the HG's problems.subaru changed they are style after 03.my 01rs already replaced the HG's when 100k miles.the one you looking for have 180kmiles so you have to becaful..HG's about $1200 to replaced..

· Registered
2000 2.5RS
273 Posts
yeah and probly the 1st and most simple thing you can look at if your CEL light is blinking is check under the steering colum and make sure the 2 green connectors are not plugged in together.... that happend to mine when i bought it!!

· 4 please, to go.
Ver 7 STi GC, elderly L
4,680 Posts
you could also, turn the key to the "on" position. That lights up the CEL for the function of testing.

At 179000 miles, the HG is probably going to need to be replaced if it hasn't been already. You can drive a car with a deteriorating HG, but once exhaust starts getting in the coolant, it's all over.

Signs of bad HG:
-whitish cloudiness to coolant
-losing coolant
-coolant smells like exhaust
-oil leaking from head/block interface

Also prone to failure on 01 RS:
-oil separator plate (leaking oil from engine/tranny interface)
-water pump
-make sure the timing belt was replaced (should have been done at 100k)

Everyone else is right. If you're serious about this car, you need to go look at it. Ride out there with a friend and 4500 in cash or MO or whatever. If you like it for the price, drive it back. If you don't like it, you'll find another one. DO NOT BUY without seeing it in person.

For more RS buying info, look at this thread: http://www.rs25.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73880

· Registered
2003 Outback Sedan H6
2,386 Posts
Another suggestion is to check out the wheel bearings. If you test drive the car, listen for any grinding noise coming from the wheels as you're moving. If you hear this from any wheel it can be expensive to fix. RS's are prone to wheel bearing issues. Last wheel bearing I had replaced cost me around $380 including parts and labor to replace.

Allow the seller to let you bring the car to a dealer to get the code checked, or bring it to an Autozone. Does he have any catalytic converters or an aftermarket header? This would almost certainly throw a CEL for the o2 sensors, despite a recent replacement.

Check for rust, especially around the rear wheel wells. My car is a 2000 and is starting to show some bubbling in the paint around that region.

I might be concerned about the head gaskets too, but considering such the high mileage on the car (relatively speaking) chances are he had the head gaskets replaced sometime during the car's life. If he didn't then I wouldn't even consider buying that car, as that is routine maintenance, and if he didn't replace those ever then chances are he neglected other maintenance on that car. Ask when the timing belt was replaced too, as well as the clutch. These are the typical expensive things to replace, assuming you're paying a shop to do it.

There isn't much that really goes wrong with these cars. If taken care of they are very very very reliable. Just make sure he took care of the big expensive maintenance precautions before handing over your check. I would certainly drive out and see it though; I don't know how long you've been looking for an RS but they are very hard to find, since most people like us hold onto them because they are beautiful and rare. It took me about 7 months to find mine and I had to drive some distance to pick it up.

· Registered
2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS
33 Posts
Never buy a car with CEL, once a problem, always another problem. Just my advice to you, + the car is nearly 180k miles, I wouldnt even buy the car for $3,000, and yea its a %25 chance the HG is leaking or blown, but the only way to find out.. have a look at it.

· Registered
2001 STM Coupe
329 Posts
Never buy a car with CEL, once a problem, always another problem. Just my advice to you, + the car is nearly 180k miles, I wouldnt even buy the car for $3,000, and yea its a %25 chance the HG is leaking or blown, but the only way to find out.. have a look at it.
Never buy a car with CEL? That is a little extreme, my friend. A CEL doesn't mean the car is going to shit.

WOW. Back from the dead.
Yeah, no joke.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.