Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys so I’ve been reading on these swaps but everyone says just buy a wrx. Well I understand that but I’m trying to swap a 2.0 turbo engine into my 2.5i it has a blown engine and salvage title, I recently purchased this car knowing of everything got a great deal on it so now I want to build it. I’m new to Subaru’s so don’t have much knowledge on it. I did some research and says I would have to buy a front end wrx subframe to fit it so here’s my question , would I need to change out the differentials and drive shaft and axles or do they fit ? Also I will get the 2.0 transmission also , if anyone can give me a list of what I will need so I can start purchasing everything I’m going to need. Thank you

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
929 Posts
Read through this:

Now, after reading through that,
-knowing that you'll be investing $6k+ into your car (it varies quite a bit, and depends on the engine you get, whether it's solid or needs rebuilds, upgrades, broken transmission replacements, etc),
-knowing that you won't be able to sell the car for more than a couple grand when you're ready to move on
-knowing that you'll not have that car available to drive for potentially (probably) multiple months
-the extra expense involved in passing the BAR (you're in California, right?)

Start by contacting Iwire or a different wiring service to have your electrical harness made.

As for your other questions, try searching on this site first (use less words if necessary) and post back if you cannot find the answers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Read through this:

Now, after reading through that,
-knowing that you'll be investing $6k+ into your car (it varies quite a bit, and depends on the engine you get, whether it's solid or needs rebuilds, upgrades, broken transmission replacements, etc),
-knowing that you won't be able to sell the car for more than a couple grand when you're ready to move on
-knowing that you'll not have that car available to drive for potentially (probably) multiple months
-the extra expense involved in passing the BAR (you're in California, right?)

Start by contacting Iwire or a different wiring service to have your electrical harness made.

As for your other questions, try searching on this site first (use less words if necessary) and post back if you cannot find the answers.
now I understand why they say to just buy a wrx , literally everything comes out, I did get the car for cheap so I’m guessing it would just be best to just swap it with the original engine w no hassle , also I did not know about the mobilizer inside of the key and Imprezas don’t have that, I really appreciate you sending me all this info I’m going to look more into it to see if I’m willing to go through with it. Thank you for your help !!

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
929 Posts
The end result will be awesome if you do the swap. But where I live in Washington, you can buy an 02-05 WRX needing an engine or transmission for $1-3k. Add $1-2k for a replacement engine or transmission and you have a running wrx. You wouldn't be able to swap a non turbo car for that cheap.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The end result will be awesome if you do the swap. But where I live in Washington, you can buy an 02-05 WRX needing an engine or transmission for $1-3k. Add $1-2k for a replacement engine or transmission and you have a running wrx. You wouldn't be able to swap a non turbo car for that cheap.
You know what bro after some thoughts, I think I’m going to go forward with it I’m going to do as much as I can my self , it would be a sweet build and hopefully if I get stuck on something I’ll post it on here im going to post everything I do step by step to make sure I got everything down and post everything on here. So if you would like to see how’s it going it will be on here I guess I’m going to start out buying the engine first , it does say that I’m able to use the Impreza transmission on a 2.0 but what engine would be recommended to hold the most boost ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You know what bro after some thoughts, I think I’m going to go forward with it I’m going to do as much as I can my self , it would be a sweet build and hopefully if I get stuck on something I’ll post it on here im going to post everything I do step by step to make sure I got everything down and post everything on here. So if you would like to see how’s it going it will be on here I guess I’m going to start out buying the engine first , it does say that I’m able to use the Impreza transmission on a 2.0 but what engine would be recommended to hold the most boost ?
And also that’s pretty sweet that a blown engine on a wrx cost 1 -3k where I live at in Cali they sell them blown for 6k so I guess I’m just going to do it might be a couple of months but I’m ready for my first build

·
Registered
'96 OBS
266 Posts
There's a lot of EJ20s out there. Most of them have at least something to recommend them, whether it's price, simplicity of wiring or all out performance. What are your goals, keeping in mind that the Impreza transmission will be the weak point?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There's a lot of EJ20s out there. Most of them have at least something to recommend them, whether it's price, simplicity of wiring or all out performance. What are your goals, keeping in mind that the Impreza transmission will be the weak point?
so fair I have the wiring harness , subframe, cluster, fuel pump controller , and the Immobilizer, next is I’m getting the engine I’m looking at a 2.5 turbocharged engine , I spoke with a mechanic who does swaps and said the 2.5 is the way to go to get the most boost without blowing the engine

1 - 8 of 8 Posts