Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1993 2.5 RS Conversion, Audi Blue
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the issue..

I have a 93 L which has been converted to an RS. (body, interior, engine) by the previous owner (I won't take credit).

Currently the chassis harness and ECU is from the 1.8 engine (OBD1) and the 2.5 engine (OBD2) has low mileage and nothing should be wrong with it. RUNS VERY LEAN. Engine is having fuel starvation issues. (big surprise)

I was told that it is easier to put a piggyback on the ecu to tune the fuel to air ratio rather than swapping the whole harness (chassis harness) and installing the 2.5 ECU. (because of the obd1+2 incompatibility issue.)

Question is: Should I get a completely programmable ECU or a piggyback. If we're going the pig route, what do you recommend brand wise.

Educated responses only please, no guessers. :)

·
Registered
08WRXBLUE--RIP:99-2.5RS
254 Posts
Full ECU- (Hydra) prob around $1500
Piggyback- (Greddy Emanage Ultimate) $600
If your looking to go very simple- Go with the Rallitek (pp6) $400

Full ECU would be better but costs more money. piggyback simpler, and cheaper

(if your not looking to go turbo and a bunch of other stuff, just go with the pp6) and get it professionaly tuned.

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
What injectors are in it now? If they're the 1.8 injectors, put some red top 98RS injectors in it and see how it goes. Mine wasn't that bad (96 brighton to EJ25D). I did eventually put an SAFC in it to dial it in a bit better, but I wasn't making any huge corrections either.

·
Registered
1993 2.5 RS Conversion, Audi Blue
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I assume it has 2.5 injectors that came with the 01 RS engine. I don't see why Seth would have put the injectors from the 1.8 on it. I will double check in a few minutes.

Yes, I assumed the full prog ECU would cost more and some friends(of friends) that went that route said it was way too much trouble getting everything to work and getting it professionally tuned.

I was hoping to street tune it just to get by and bring it up to normal idle and not have to mash the gas to keep it running after start up.

Considering my car is already in modified class (rallycross) I could go ahead and turbo it if I felt like it.

This is one of three racing projects so sometimes it takes the back burner and just gets me back and forth to work.

Want to see a picture of this blue beast? check out my website under "new rallycross car"

1 - 4 of 4 Posts