Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
99 22B replica
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a 97 legacy wagon with an intact 2.5 DOHC under the hood that I could grab for dirt cheap. My 99 impreza RS runs the SOHC version. what would be the value of grabbing this DOHC engine? I was thinking about a DIY rebuild of the DOHC and slipping it in the impreza when my SOHC gives up.

Can a 97 DOHC 2.5 run off the 99 SOHC ECU?

What are the biggest issues swithching these two head configurations?

Would it be easier to swap the heads on the blocks?

Thanks guys

·
Premium Member
Company Car
1,875 Posts
IMHO, not worth the hassle. DOHC heads tend to run more in cost and aren't as plentiful as SOHC heads. Spark plugs are a bitch to change on DOHC vs SOHC. There aren't any major benefits in running DOHC or SOHC. I believe the ECU and IM would need to be swapped as well. ECU, IM and heads need/should match.

IMHO.

·
Registered
99 22B replica
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was under the impression that the blocks would be identical since they both say EJ25. Thought it might be a good project for a rebuild with a new bottom end and slap the SOHC heads on after? Like I was saying its dirt cheap and where I live I own the only Subaru for hours

·
Registered
opendeck251+stiInternals
483 Posts
I would still grab the heads. You never know when you will get some hair-brained idea to build a motor for no reason other than to do it...

~Josh~

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.