Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at getting a 1999 2.5 RS, but I can not find that many performance up grades for it. The only turbo kit I can find only pushes HP to like 225. That does not seem like a lot to me. Are there forged pistons, valve springs, different cams, etc out there for this car? If so where can I get them. Also are there any tubo kits out there that are capable of making big HP? Thanks

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
Start with looking at companies like Cobb and Avo if you have the $ for big power. Hopefully Ludespeed will be back this spring, I'd check out their stage 3 kit. The internals are out there, but you'll start breaking your transmission long before the internals need to be upgraded, and running a dog box on a daily driver is not a good idea to me so you might want to look into cryo treated tranny guts.

The parts are al out there, it's all how much $ you have to go fast, as there are some people with STUPID fast cars on this and other boards.

·
Registered
1994 L Wagon Grey
517 Posts
i'm sorry but I have my quarks for "cobbs tuning". none the less, JE makes pistons, Crower makes rods, valve springs can be gained thru B-spec.

I suggest if your looking for lots and lots of power and don't mind down time. build up your EJ25 into a monster. But before you drop thousand of dollars into it, get a good gear set & the propper difs. After that, get an ECU and then start the build up. By the time you have the motor done. you aready 10k deep RS will be insane (look at Zadalias..sorry for the bad spelling on his name, but he has over 350wheel on 19psi on his built motor).

Then again, a cheaper route might be a wrx motor swap with ecu & utec. Then with a turbo upgrade, injectors, fuel pump, intake uppipe and turbo back you can have 300 wheel for a good amount less then a ej25 buildup.

Then again, I am almost done with my ej25 9:1 build up running a vf22 with FMIC, custom heads, wrx headers, TXS stealthback, wrx muffler, automatic trans, link ecu, turbo/na cams, 650cc injectors, 50 wet shot and an NX N-tercooler. I think 350 wheel will be plenty for me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok, if you guys coul provide me with some links to these companys I would be greatful. Money will not be that big of deal. I will do all of the work myself, I go to wyotech so I have all of the install skills.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Doctornick said:
i'm sorry but I have my quarks for "cobbs tuning".
Neal, if you don't mind my asking, what's your beef with Cobb? I'm just curious because I'm planning on getting Cobb Street Cams as my next major upgrade.

Thanks,
~Paul

·
Registered
1994 L Wagon Grey
517 Posts
I will send you a pm about cobb. I have cobb cams, they are great cams. You might wanna look into yoshios cams. A local in chicago has them, yet to install them though. But with the exchange rate they were cheaper and they might be better because you don't need cobb as a middleman (the cams are actually made by webracing)

·
Registered
99 2.5 RS-T
838 Posts
Doctornick said:
(the cams are actually made by webracing)
Web Cam Racing Cams actually, they're in cali. They only list "custom grinds" on the website. You can also check out Paeco Industries, they'll require your cams upfront though to make the grinds.

·
Registered
139 Posts
i have yet to do business with cobb but, i like the idea of having all my performance needs in one place.
has anyone thought about the size of cobb tuning? it would be impossible for them to do all of the manufacturing and R&D. i know of a company that is trying to develop and manufacture all of it's goods and it is just one guy doing it all. needless to say most people don't get their parts inside of 3 months. i'm talking about cams, headers, throttle bodies, etc. things that people buy on a regular basis for the dodge neon just to keep up. imagine what cobb would be like if they tried the same thing.
juz my .02

·
Registered
99 2.5 RS-T
838 Posts
Cobb does a lot of R&D, they do not have machinists though. After flow benching cams/heads the actual work is farmed out. Trey's staff when he was here in TX was fairly small, but sized appropriately for the space alloted. Trey doen't do much labor, he has techs for that... he did take a huge roll in dyno tuning though. As for meeting your needs, much (if not all) of what you're trying to do has been researched and tested already. Talk to Trey about throttle bodies and intake manifolds... you might be surprised. The Subaru engines have a lot of remarkable engineering built in. The areas that are lacking, however, are seriously lacking (heads, cams, cyl wall strength, piston strength). Just some food for thought.

BTW, if you're looking for an "proof to the pudding" check out AV Sport's SCCA ProRally team... powertrain built by Cobb. Check out Conebasher (SCCA Solo II) everything built by Cobb. The list goes on...

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
Cobb is overpriced, but whatever you buy there is asaid quantity: you know what you're getting and you'll know it's top quality. There customer service is also supposed to be excellent, although I have never bought anything from them.

Silver 2K RS Coupe
1,864 Posts
I thought the 2.5 subaru heads were regarded as some of the best flowing OEM heads around? I think it was on Cobb's site that I read that. (Leave it to Trey to take a great head and make it even better)

·
Registered
99 2.5 RS-T
838 Posts
No, the heads suck (no pun(s) intended). Its the intake manifold and throttle body that are topnotch.

·
Registered
139 Posts
correct, thats why MOST places tell you that the sti intake manifold for the rex doesn't do anything but look pretty. IIRC, the only reason to upgrade the intake manifold and throttle body would be for high boost applications (i.e. 30psi+). think i read that somewhere and corrections are welcome.

·
Registered
99 2.5 RS-T
838 Posts
Yup :D :D

That's phase 2 of my RS-T project. Get it running first, then look for a set of WRX injectors.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OK, lets say that I build up the engine, put about 6000 bux into it then where do you suggest that I go for a bad ass turbo set up?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts