Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Wagon Red/Black 2.2L
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1997 Impreza wagon with a 2.2 L
When I 1st got the car it would some time have no power upon acceleration And some times a rough idle .
It final throw a code, it was a knock sensor.
So after replacing it the car was good no power loss and no idle problems.
The other day I noticed a strange idle and started to lose power from time ti time . It go to the point you could floor it from a dead stop and it would go no where for about 2 or 3 secs then take off.....
I was thinking the knock sensor went bad yet again...
it final Throw a code and it was for a oxgen sensor Bank one sensor 1
So replaced it ... code is gone and so is the power loss for the most part...
But today it start to have not power out the blue.....But not codes....

Has any one had this problem ?
or a problem like this ?
Any and all input would be great
Thank you in advance

·
Registered
75 Posts
have same problem and was knock sensor and oxygen sensor bank 1, and i have power again and all is good, maybe you need new sparks? and a new pcv Valve!

·
Registered
99 Impreza Outback Sport
25 Posts
Have you ever cleaned your idle control valve?

That would be a really good place to start,
Here is a link to NASIOC for a complete how to, just remeber to buy that gasket before you crack it open to clean.
Cleaning And Reattaching The IACV (Idle Air Control Valve) - NASIOC

NOTICE- Those screws are extremly easy to strip! (Soft) Make sure to have a good fitting screw driver to try to unscrew or get a ball pin hammer and tap each screw to try to "shock loose" the threads if stuck.
I ended up actually stripping one and cleaning it out from the throttle body side underneath and through the vacum line on the top, MADE A WORLD OF DIFFERENCE!

Also not sure what type of maintenance you have done or did. But if you've done lots of mechanic maintenance all at once, it takes about 1-2 tanks of gas for the ecu to get the fully adjusted for the best running engine. For the engine to throw a code, that sensor on the engine basically has to completly fail, and then it takes a little time for that to trip the light.

Bought my gen1 99 with this same problem, turned out to be largely my idle control valve (clogged, & caused irratic high & low idle), and knock sensor. My knock sensor threw a code, my idle control valve didn't.

Good luck! Hope that gives you a good starting point. Repko

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 1997 Impreza wagon with a 2.2 L
When I 1st got the car it would some time have no power upon acceleration And some times a rough idle .
It final throw a code, it was a knock sensor.
So after replacing it the car was good no power loss and no idle problems.
The other day I noticed a strange idle and started to lose power from time ti time . It go to the point you could floor it from a dead stop and it would go no where for about 2 or 3 secs then take off.....
I was thinking the knock sensor went bad yet again...
it final Throw a code and it was for a oxgen sensor Bank one sensor 1
So replaced it ... code is gone and so is the power loss for the most part...
But today it start to have not power out the blue.....But not codes....

Has any one had this problem ?
or a problem like this ?
Any and all input would be great
Thank you in advance
Did you ever find what the problem was? Im having a similiar issue with my gas pedal seems hard to press i replaced catalytic converter. The 02 sensor bank 1 i cleaned it and it drove normal after 4 days it went back to slow mode.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts