Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i just had some work done to my car and a friend of mine "also happenes to work in subaru repairs and fixed my car" said i was leaking coolant from somewhere because it ends up all over my engine somehow. He said my block is most likely cracked somewhere but he just cant find it yet. I need to know how i can get my hands on a new or used 2.2 short block for a 97 impreza? Im a noob at this so i have no idea how or where i can get one. Thanks

·
Registered
1999 Subaru Impreza L Coupe
281 Posts
That's a pisser dude.

Being a noob as well, I'd say 'F' the 2.2 and find a 2.5 to throw in the hole. Or at least shop around for a low miles 2.2.

There is light at the end of the tunnel though... apparently your car is still running.. so baby it for a while, buy an engine, learn to work on it, replace some of the goodies inside and then install it when you absolutely need it.

Greg

Oh yah, BUMP for someone that knows what they are talking about.

·
Registered
BRP ver5 RSTi, Beater Leggy
370 Posts
Agreed, I doubt the block is cracked. If anything, it is the HG's.

When I bought my 2.2 beater leggy, it was summer. Didn't realize the previous owner left coolant mix of 90% water and 10% coolant...

Winter starts, coolant hoses were frozen SOLID. All liquid coolant in the engine block was frozen... but the car started right up with just a little struggle (I know, I should have never started it up). I swear water freezing in the block was gonna crack it somehow (I've seen it happen many times before) but after 15 minutes of idling, water all melted, engine ran normal. Still runs fine to this day with 180k on the clock.

The 2.2 block is freakin indestructable.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks

hmm well that sounds good. the my friend wasnt totally sure because apparently i had coolant leaking from my overflow but my car stays in the middle all day long. i was going to drop an sti in but being in college means ur broke all the time. The car is still running great but at least ill pass on the block. So i guess my next Q would be where to get a head gasket?

·
Registered
06 Impreza 2.5i
470 Posts
1stsubaruparts.com I got the same problems as you. Except mine is a 96. My dilemma is either getting a swap or just fixing this motor up with a nice rebuild.

·
'MURRICA!
Hybrid Camry
5,700 Posts
Could be the coolant crossover pipe too, it sits on top of the motor and would produce those symptoms. Also, the upper radiator hose if it's loose where it attaches to the motor would do that too. I'd try looking for some smaller issues before you go tearing the motor apart.

Oh, coolant temp sensor on top of the motor mabye?

And if I had coolant leaking from the overflow, i'd make sure it wasn't filled too full. There is a min and max line on the bottle, bout halfway up. If you filled it to the top then i'd expect it to overflow.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts