Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey hows it going.. I have been looking at the difference in the Subaru Impreza's and have become real picky about wanting the 2.5L.. not sure why and was wondering if anyone could shed some light on the difference? :)

·
Registered
98 gc coupe L
127 Posts
Did u mean the 2.2 L... I was told the 2.5 were known for head gasket fail I have a 98 2.2 with 270k n still running strong haven't had any problems with it am also the second owner the first owner was a older women.

·
Registered
97 Impreza 2dr, 04 Lancer EVO
88 Posts
The 2.0L is only found in the FA20 engines. It would be sex if somebody could make it work on an RS making it AWD.

·
Registered
2009 BL5, 2001 RS
3,472 Posts
LOL uh what about 2.0 ej205's? 2.0 ej207's?

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.2L
149 Posts
I recently bought a 2000 Subaru Impreza. I started out looking at the 2.5L RS's, but I got depressed when I learned about all the head gasket problems that these engines have. I read a number of articles that said it's not a question of "if" but "when" the gaskets will fail and need to be replaced.

A friend at work said: "Why don't you look for an Impreza with a 2.2L engine, instead? The EJ22 is probably the most reliable engine Subaru ever made, and you won't have to worry about head gaskets."

I changed my Internet search parameters from 2.5 to 2.2 and found my car the next day.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was more towards the side of speed, etc.. being a 2.5 is a larger engine does that mean that the 2L will be gutless? I can't find a 2.2L in Australia.

·
Registered
01 Impreza 2.5RS, 95 Civic VX
3,762 Posts
Honestly, the head gasket on the 2.5 isn't a big deal. The factory gasket will last about 80xxx to 120xxx miles. Once it fail replace it with a multi layer metal gasket.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am just interested in the power output difference between the two and if it will be noticeable :)

·
Banned
4,438 Posts
we never got a non turbo 2.0 here, so most people won't be able to address that

the 2.5 liter non turbo, all depends on what you're used to, and how you define "enough". I bought mine new, with the idea that it would be extensively modded. It was at best, anemic until I turbocharged it..then it felt decent. Future mods, and an eventual engine swap, turned it into what I wish we could have bought in the US at the dealer, but at the time, couldn't. But my previous/current cars at the time might be distinctly different than yours. The best thing to do is pick 2 out and just drive them for yourself...then you'll be in a better position to know, for you, what is worth and not worth looking at as you scour the ads

1 - 11 of 11 Posts