Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Subaru Impreza 2.5rs Coupe
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What’s going on Subi community? My name is Will and I have always wanted a 2.5RS. I have owned a 2003 WRX in PSM, 2005 STI in OBP, and a 2005 STI in CGM (see below for pictures). The 2005 STI in CGM was built to compete in SCCA ASP division and ever since I sold it, I have missed driving a Subaru. Enter, new project car: 1999 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS.

The RS came with quite a few parts installed and extra parts on the side. Many of them I plan to sell, replace, or get rid of all together. There are plenty of bumps and bruises but as time goes on, I will get those taken care of. For now, my intention is to get the car dialed mechanically (to my liking) and work on the suspension (to my liking). Pretty awesome, the RS only has 87k original miles and three owners. First owner put the majority of them miles on it, second owner only put about 1200 per year, and third owner had it for about 30 days. Great foundation to start building onto. Below is a build list from the car when I first purchased it and will grow as I get my hands on it!

Engine/Drivetrain:
NGK Spark Plugs
Injen Cold Air Intake
Stromung Catback Exhaust
Exedy Clutch
Cobb Short Shifter

Suspension:
JDM GC8 STI Front Control Arms
Bilstein PSS9 Coilovers
Whiteline Front Sway Bar
Perrin Rear Sway Bar
Perrin Rear Sway Bar Mounts
Perrin Spherical End Links

Chassis:
JDM GC8 STI Front Strut Bar
Perrin Rear Strut Bar

Wheels/Brakes:
OEM with Sentry Touring
06/07 WRX 4-pot Front Calipers
Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Stoptech Slotted Front Rotors
Stoptech Sport Front Pads

Exterior:
JDM GC8 STI Fog Light Covers
JDM GC8 Honey Comb Grill with "I" Badge
OEM Fog Lights

Interior:
Pioneer DMH-1500NEX
Kicker Front Speakers
Pioneer Rear Speakers
OEM Compass Housing (no compass, no bracket)
WRX Floor Mats

Plan Moving Forward:
Overhaul refresh of the clutch system, brake system, AC system, and cooling system.

As it sits now (12JUL21)

·
Registered
2001 SRP RS Coupe, 05 FXT
434 Posts
I was wondering who picked that up. Hope you don't mind the question, but you did you end up paying full asking for it? Either way, looking forward to following along. Can't go wrong with aspen white!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome, looks beautiful!
Thanks! It definitely isn't as "nice" as I would like but its nothing a little time wont fix.

I was wondering who picked that up. Hope you don't mind the question, but you did you end up paying full asking for it? Either way, looking forward to following along. Can't go wrong with aspen white!
No worries man, I do not. I absolutely did not pay the asking price but do know that I overpaid a bit; I paid $9500 for it. My thought process is that I can sell the Team Dynamics Pro Rally wheels and tires, the Hankook race tires that were the factory wheels, and it came with a bunch of other parts that I can part out.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Honestly, that's better than I would think going by what they were asking. Wasn't it like 13k? In today's market, a 87k mile white coupe is probably worth close to what you paid, especially with all the extras. Did look like it had some dents and stuff, but those can be fixed. Rust is what you don't want.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Honestly, that's better than I would think going by what they were asking. Wasn't it like 13k? In today's market, a 87k mile white coupe is probably worth close to what you paid, especially with all the extras. Did look like it had some dents and stuff, but those can be fixed. Rust is what you don't want.
I appreciate the feedback. When it came down to it, I wanted it and I was willing to pay a little more to have it. Haha. I look forward to building it up and having some fun with it.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I appreciate the feedback. When it came down to it, I wanted it and I was willing to pay a little more to have it. Haha. I look forward to building it up and having some fun with it.
That's all the matters. Glad you found one!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Driving around the last couple of days, I noticed I was getting some brake drag every now and then. As if one of my front calipers were dragging and the piston wasn't retracting all the way. I decided to pull over and take a quick look, discovered that my "WRX Brake Upgrade" that came with the car is one brake that came in red and one that isn't red. Unsure if it is an Autozone caliper or an OEM that just isn't painted. Got a good chuckle out of it and decided to just buy a new set of calipers to replace these since I don't know the history of them and they're still 15-16 years old so rebuilding seems a bit silly.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I think you can buy reman oem calipers from places like rockauto, and sometimes they wont be painted.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Welcome to the community. Nice low mileage coupe. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it!
Thanks much!

Step one was to get rid of the single din Kenwood deck and replace it with a nice double din with Apple Car Play. Another reason for this, I forgot to take a before picture, was because the little single din pocket was missing from under the single din Kenwood radio so it looked super janky. Now it is all clean and I replaced the cigarette lighter with a USB plug for the Apple Car Play.

·
Registered
2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS Coupe White STOCK
13 Posts
Looks like a nice one! Looks very similar to my 2000 2.5RS in Aspen white also.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
While sifting through the parts I received with the car I found a JDM STI Shift Knob that I was going to sell to fund my Cobb shift knob because I dont like putting STI items on my RS when its not a real RSTI. I used to have an authentic OEM one in my 05 STI and upon further inspection, I realized the one that came with my new RS was a Chinese knock off. Disappointed, I decided to just go ahead and use it for now and upgrade later once the shift pattern decal inevitable falls off. A little before and after action.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
When I purchased the car it came with an "empty gauge pod" it looked weird to me because it was square and not three round holes like most other gauge pods. When I test drove I didn't go too fast as I think that is very rude, so after choosing the purchase the car I took off onto the freeway onramp. The "gauge pod" proceeded to fly off the dashboard and onto my hand as I am trying to shift. I was left with a gapping hole in my dash and lots of questions.

I was very confused because I saw the mounting holes on the dashboard but nothing to mount the "gauge pod to". I assumed that there must be some kind of bracket I needed to buy that was missing. Still very confused, I headed home and proceeded to search RS25 for answers. I then learned this was not a gauge pod but rather the factory housing for the compass head unit and I was in fact missing the bracket that mounts to the dashboard and then the housing mounts to the bracket. I was lucky enough to find a compass head unit and bracket for relatively cheap on eBay. It didn't come with the harness but I didn't care, I was mainly in it for the bracket. My end plan is to turn the compass housing into a gauge pod like I saw another user do.

Another fun Easter egg find, apparently this car had gauges or the person was planning on running gauges. I found the other end of these wires wrapped up and zip tied to the firewall in the engine bay. Looks to be an EGT sensor, temp sensor, and boost line....weird seeing as this is an N/A car.

Too late now, I already own the car so I moved on. After getting the compass head unit and bracket I realized I had no mounting hardware...the saga continues. Luckily I keep everything and had a zip lock back of old screws from my previous Subarus and found some to mount up the compass head unit.

My next problem appeared when I went to "install" the compass housing and realized I had no mounting hardware for this either and where the heck are the caps for the screws?! My OCD would not be okay with seeing two raw screw heads on each side of the compass housing.

So I dug through my parts bin again and found screws and some old screw caps to hide those ugly screw heads! Here is a comparison to see the difference.

And the finished product. The compass head unit is literally just to fill the hole until I can get gauges and make my own pod. The gauges are somewhat silly being an N/A car but it will be a precursor to the swap down the road. For now, I am happy with my bandaid to fill the hideous hole in my dashboard.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I dug through the boxes of parts I received with the car and found the factory fog lights. Now to decide whether I want to fog light or not fog light.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I personally like the fog covers, and they will protect the lights. Something about white on cherry blossom red..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I personally like the fog covers, and they will protect the lights. Something about white on cherry blossom red..
I do agree with you, the colors do go well together, I just cant get over having "STI" on my car when it isn't STI swapped. So....I decided to go without Fog Light covers.

I picked up a set of Kart Boy Fog Light mounts and will be picking up some PIAAs to put some more light on the road. Next up will be the headlights, still don't know what I want to do with those yet. Maybe a Projector retrofit?

·
Registered
434 Posts
I get that, just save them for down the line when you swap in the STi drivetrain..

OEM+ projector retrofit would be a nice upgrade. Please no C lights though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Upon getting the car, I went a little ham and bought some interior bits. I am refocusing on the mechanical aspects of the car so I can dial in what's important.

The clutch pedal is on and off squishy, sometimes sticks, the catch point seems to vary, and based off research it sounds like it needs a bleed, could be a bad master cylinder, or a bad slave cylinder. I figured I will just replace all the parts and have a new clutch system (clutch and flywheel are new).

The front brake rotors and pads are new but have two different 06/07 4pot calipers and I believe stainless steel brake lines. I will repurpose the rotors, pads, and brake lines but replace the junk yard calipers with brand new calipers. The rears are original 1pot and are rusted to all hell. This will be a 2pot 06/07 caliper upgrade, I'll go ahead and replace the wheel bearings, press on 06/07 backing plates, and put on rotors and pads to compliment the fronts.

The AC didnt work upon buying the car. I had the system purged and filled with new freon at. My Auto Surgeon and...it worked! Unfortunately, a week later the AC was warm again. Back to My Auto Surgeon and found that all the o-rings within the system were old. We replaced them and so far the AC is holding strong! We did notice that the condenser is pretty beat up so I might replace it to help the system be more efficient.

The radiator was just replaced before I bought the car but the hoses were not. The hoses came with the car along with a new thermostat and thermostat housing. So a simple fix to just get all new piping to compliment the new radiator.

There is some surface rust on the undercarriage of the car that the previous owner wire brushed off and then put fluid film on. I am OCD so I want to start replacing parts to get rid of the rusty parts. First up might be the trailing and lateral arms. Gets rid of old rusty parts and replaces them with adjustable bits.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts