Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
99 2.5RS
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, and in a second thread.

If I understand this correctly - the rear brake pads on a 1999 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS are unique. That is, they don't share a shape and size used anywhere else in the Subaru line. Which means that shopping around for new pads for this specific car has led to the dealer and no where else.

Does ANYONE make pads that will fit the 1999 2.5 RS?

·
Registered
99 Impreza 2.5RS Black
613 Posts
I got my Axxis Ultimate pads from Stoptech and have had no fittment problems with my '99 RS.

·
Registered
410 Posts
If I understand this correctly - the rear brake pads on a 1999 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS are unique. That is, they don't share a shape and size used anywhere else in the Subaru line.[/B]
Hmmm...I'm not sure about that. The 1999 2.5RS is a little weird, but IIRC it's only because they changed rear brakes part-way through the model year (some have the 1998 2.5RS rear brakes some have the 2000+ 2.5RS rear brakes). Strangely enough, the pictures I've seen of the "newer" style rear brakes looks like mine and I have a very early 99 (bought in August 98). I haven't replaced my brake pads yet but plan to within the next month or so (probably with Carbotech Panthers from http://www.teaguesauto.com).

In fact, you may want to contact Dale Teague (at the url I listed about) and see what he knows about 1999 2.5RS brakes. If anyone would now, I would bet it would be him.

·
Premium Member
00 RS, 14 Forester, 92 SVX
1,577 Posts
The 1998 RS has the same rear brakepad as the Legacy Turbo sedan. This caliper carried through partway into 1999, but only on a very small number of vehicles. I don't think I've ever run into a 99 with the 98 caliper personally, but I have heard of two vehicles it's happened on.

·
Scoobymods Guy
2010 Legacy 3.6R Limited
1,157 Posts
Not sure where you got that info but it's not true. The rear pads for the 99 Impreza's are the same as the new WRX.

WRX rear pads next to MY 99 RS pads

·
Registered
410 Posts
I recently had Dale Teague confirm that my early 1999 2.5RS (bought in October 98) DOES have the newer style pads (that the 2000+ Impreza 2.5RS/2002+ WRX uses).

That said, I have still heard of cases where the previous style calipers were found on 1999 2.5RS models (though apparently it is more rare than at first believed).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts